Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Looks awesome!!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:46 AM   #16
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Seems the Blackwing set up can't be a downgrade.
2022 CT5-V Blackwing CCM Size:
15.7" Front, 85mm Pad Depth
14.6" Rear

ZL1 Brake Size:
15.3" Front, 81mm Pad Depth
14.4" Rear

Like my comment stated, the CCM has both a larger disc and a larger braking annulus (pad depth / height on the disc). It still has less performance than the ZL1 1LE with steel brakes.

2022 CT5-V Blackwing 60-0: 102ft
ZL1 1LE 60-0: 91ft

If you wanted a true no compromises CCM setup for the ZL1, you would have to get the nifty Holden GTSR W1's carbon ceramic setup. This is a 16.1" front / 14.7" rear carbon ceramic setup using an AP Racing caliper.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:11 AM   #17
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
2022 CT5-V Blackwing CCM Size:
15.7" Front, 85mm Pad Depth
14.6" Rear

ZL1 Brake Size:
15.3" Front, 81mm Pad Depth
14.4" Rear

Like my comment stated, the CCM has both a larger disc and a larger braking annulus (pad depth / height on the disc). It still has less performance than the ZL1 1LE with steel brakes.

2022 CT5-V Blackwing 60-0: 102ft
ZL1 1LE 60-0: 91ft

If you wanted a true no compromises CCM setup for the ZL1, you would have to get the nifty Holden GTSR W1's carbon ceramic setup. This is a 16.1" front / 14.7" rear carbon ceramic setup using an AP Racing caliper.

You guys are normally right on, but in this case, missed the mark.

And you should really know better than to simply post 60-0 distances.

Were both cars on the same tire? On the same surface? At the same temp?

How many times had each test been performed? Do they weigh the same? (surprisingly close, but the BW is slightly heavier)

One of the many benefits of CCM is that braking number STAYS THE SAME lap after lap after lap. You simply do not get fade.

Having tracked a 6th Gen 1LE/ZLE for 5+ years and now having tracked the Blackwing for the last year on the same tracks, I can tell you the CCM performance is stunningly good. It's exactly why it was offered on the Z/28, C7Z and now C8Z.

Even bigger benefit with the Gen2 CCM (on Blackwing and C8Z) is much longer rotor life when tracking.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #18
Nataphen

Drives: None
The Z28 rear brakes are significantly larger than the ZL1, though I have no idea if it’s enough larger to make the difference. On the braking distance comparison, I would think maybe the 300TW vs 100TW tire would have a lot to do with that. The standard ZL1 60-0 distances seem to be in the upper 90s. 96’ is the one I’m seeing most with a quick search. Still less than 102’, but also with a 200TW tire. So, it seems to split the difference having the in-between tire.

Last edited by Nataphen; 07-18-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #19
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
You guys are normally right on, but in this case, missed the mark.

And you should really know better than to simply post 60-0 distances.

Were both cars on the same tire? On the same surface? At the same temp?

How many times had each test been performed? Do they weigh the same? (surprisingly close, but the BW is slightly heavier)

One of the many benefits of CCM is that braking number STAYS THE SAME lap after lap after lap. You simply do not get fade.

Having tracked a 6th Gen 1LE/ZLE for 5+ years and now having tracked the Blackwing for the last year on the same tracks, I can tell you the CCM performance is stunningly good. It's exactly why it was offered on the Z/28, C7Z and now C8Z.

Even bigger benefit with the Gen2 CCM (on Blackwing and C8Z) is much longer rotor life when tracking.
Of course there are plenty of additional factors that go into that braking test, that is stating the obvious. I didn't think I had to go into that great of deal to explain why I agreed with OP's decision to switch. I just wanted to warn people who might be looking at this as a performance upgrade.

If the CCM was that significant of an upgrade for the ZL1 1LE, GM wouldn't have scrapped that option prior to production. It was so close to production that the tooling was already created and they were ready to produce them...

My point is this: A CCM rotor/Pad combo of the exact same packaging dimensions of a steel rotor combo has less braking capability. CCM rotors have extremely low thermal conductivity compared to steel. The reason they are much larger than their steel counterparts on the same vehicle is because you need the additional surface area on the rotor to distribute heat from the constant braking force.

When you keep them within their operating ranges, they are consistently great like you stated. When you overheat a CCM rotor, you burn up/oxidize the face of the rotor and ruin them.

To achieve the same peak braking force while maintaining safety in a CCM, they need to be physically larger than their steel equivalents.

To summarize, the OEM ZL1 brake setup is a more capable braking setup for peak braking performance although it will heat soak fairly easy in stock trim. With a quick pad and fluid change, 99% of drivers will not reach the fade point of this steel setup. If skilled drivers swapped to a CCM setup of the exact dimensions as stock and pushed their brakes to the limit of their steel setup, they would likely torch the rotor to the point of no return extremely quickly.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:22 PM   #20
bptuner

Drives: 2018 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Looks good and as you stated, completely fine for your application.

For performance purposes, you are reducing braking capacity going from stock to CCM brakes when you maintain the same disc diameter and braking annulus.

This would actually be a pretty good upgrade for an SS 1LE, but it is a decrease in function when talking about a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE with track duty.
Is there any advantage to just the rear caliper and rotor upgrade in steel, for the ZLE?
bptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:53 AM   #21
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
The only braking upgrade I would consider for my ZLE is this from AP Racing, 390 mm rotors and 1" (25 mm vs 9 mm!) thick DS 3.12 pads. it would be truly amazing, but I know won't do it.

https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...maro-gen-6-enp

I also think I couldn't fit my 18" forged track wheels and that's a deal breaker, I need my amazing and cheap Pirelli DH take-offs--gravel already scrapes between the ends of the calipers and 18" wheel barrel with the OEM Brembos

Last edited by SFV1LE; 07-19-2023 at 01:17 AM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote