Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-17-2023, 08:35 AM   #1
LOW01

Drives: 2019 "CRUSH" ZL1 CAMARO
"ZO7" ZL1 (CARBON CERAMICS)

The one thing I wish GM would have allowed as an option when ordering my 19 ZL1 was the Carbon Ceramic brake package. So finally after sometime of watching EBay, Rock Auto and Amazon for deals, I finished up my own Carbon Ceramic install. For all the haters that will say the factory brakes are effective enough for the car they are correct. I probably will never track my car. I just wanted the looks and love the idea of not having to look at rusty looking rotors or having to deal with brake dust any more. I have no future plans to sell this car and will hopefully keep it in my garage for a long time.

Now for anyone interested in this here is the info. The front rotors are ACDelco part# 177-1120. Purchased from Amazon. You will need to disassemble the NEW Carbon Rotors and replace the alum hats with the Factory ones from your car. Re-use the hardware from Carbon Rotors and torque to spec with fresh loctite. The front pads ACDelco 171-1010 I purchased from Rock Auto. That's it for the front. For the Rear you will need to upgrade the Calipers to the larger ones from a C7 Carbon Brake package Corvette or the 2015 Z28 Calipers. I just bought C7 Rear Calipers from Rock Auto. There is like 4-5 different colors. I purchased the black ones because they were the cheapest at the time. You will know which ones there are because they say "Carbon Ceramic" on the calipers. This is the most difficult part of this is purchasing the rear rotors. Mine are NEW OEM Z28 ones from Ebay. Those are most expensive. You can purchase C7 Rear carbon rotors but will need to change out the hats to fit on a Camaro. The only company I know of that sells rear hats is RB Performance Brakes and they are expensive. The nice thing about the OEM Z28 rotors is they go right on without any modifications needed. The rear pads I used ACDelco 171-1134 OEM Z28 from Rock Auto. Prices always fluctuate on all these websites. Just have to keep watching for the drops.
Attached Images

LOW01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Another member or two here on the forums have done this change to the carbon ceramic matrix brakes. My biggest question is:

How did the massive reduction in unsprung and rotating weight alter the feel and response of the steering and suspension?
Old 07-17-2023, 09:01 AM   #3
D3adch1ld

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Really sick set up. Almost afraid to ask what it ran you... but how much?

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk
D3adch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #4
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
That looks amazing and I agree with you, GM should have offered a Carbon Ceramic brake option. The removal of unsprung weight is huge, I’d think in the case of a ZLE you’d want to revalve the shocks to take advantage of the weight loss, I’m not sure that’s even possible.
I had read somewhere previously that there was a parking brake issue, is that solved with those rear calipers? Did you happen to weight the rotors and calipers before and after? Did everything just bolt up correctly with proper tolerances or did you have to make some modifications? What about the master cylinder, does the change in rear calipers create a need for a change in the master or is the piston area in the new caliper the same as in the original equipment?
Thanks for your time, nice to see a performance mod other than one related to the LT-4.

Last edited by Camfab; 07-17-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:25 AM   #5
BROCKgoFAST

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Looks amazing! I'm think you are in the $7k range for all the parts?
BROCKgoFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:30 AM   #6
LOW01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Another member or two here on the forums have done this change to the carbon ceramic matrix brakes. My biggest question is:

How did the massive reduction in unsprung and rotating weight alter the feel and response of the steering and suspension?
-Did not get many miles on this set-up yet, but the steering does feel lighter.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:33 AM   #7
LOW01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
That looks amazing and I agree with you, GM should have offered a Carbon Ceramic brake option. The removal of unsprung weight is huge, I’d think in the case of a ZLE you’d want to revalve the shocks to take advantage of the weight loss.
I had read somewhere previously that there was a parking brake issue, is that solved with those rear calipers? Did you happen to weight the rotors and calipers before and after? Did everything just bolt up correctly with proper tolerances or did you have to make some modifications?
-My car us a ZL1 10-speed with the 1LE Aero added. Haven't tried the parking brake. Actually have never used the parking brake period on the car. Everything bolted right up without issue. Clearances look fine also.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:34 AM   #8
LOW01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKgoFAST View Post
Looks amazing! I'm think you are in the $7k range for all the parts?
Brock you are right on with the costing!
Old 07-17-2023, 09:42 AM   #9
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Carbon ceramics are great for the road course and do help with unsprung weight. Outside of that, not so much. They need to be warmed up to be able to brake like the OEM brakes. So the initial bite is lacking and can feel spongy.

If you wanted less dust, you could have just swapped pads. For the rusting, that is like saying I'm going to trade my car in because the tires are worn.....it's only a surface rust that goes away after pulling the car out of the garage.

But, at the end of the day. It's your car and you do what you want.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:47 AM   #10
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Looks very nice. That is something I would like to do but the two front rotors alone are $3800, $5000 Canadian so only a wish on my list for now
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #11
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Looks good and as you stated, completely fine for your application.

For performance purposes, you are reducing braking capacity going from stock to CCM brakes when you maintain the same disc diameter and braking annulus.

This would actually be a pretty good upgrade for an SS 1LE, but it is a decrease in function when talking about a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE with track duty.

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 07-18-2023 at 07:46 AM.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #12
Jetrep

Drives: ZL1 1LE, bolt, scary flatbed, hhr,
Nice upgrade and I agree….the general should have made this an option at least on the 1le package
Jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 11:38 PM   #13
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Looks good and as you stated, completely fine for your application.

For performance purposes, you are reducing braking capacity going from stock to CCM brakes when you maintain the same disc diameter and braking anulus.

This would actually be a pretty good upgrade for an SS 1LE, but it is a decrease in function when talking about a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE with track duty.

Seems the Blackwing set up can't be a downgrade.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:40 AM   #14
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Seems the Blackwing set up can't be a downgrade.
That is surprising, but the guys at Katech are some of the most knowledgeable about Chevy performance--Camaro and Corvette.

I spend a lot of time pushing my ZLE on track and I have never felt my brakes needed any improvement. Especially with Ferodo DS 1.11 pads, the combination of ZL1 brakes with SRF fluid is world class enabling me to brake with the GT3 RS guys. And the original OEM rotors lasted for 4 years of abuse and still had no real issues when I replaced them just to be safe, that was extraordinary.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote