Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #15
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
The upper reinforcer is there so pdr probably won't happen from the inside. However a few of the better guys can 'glue' and pull form the outside.
Exactly what I was thinking.

The good is it’s only a small dent with no paint damage.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
It's totaled.

In your various discussions with PDR companies, ask if they might be willing to "try" removing it if you agree in advance that it may not be able to be completely removed. I have had a couple of door dings removed in the past that you absolutely couldn't tell were ever there. That's the kind of repair these guys want to offer because anything less lessens their credibility in the wild and hurts their business.

That is in a spot that's going to be tough to get it out at all, let alone get it out completely. Since the process generally involves inserting tools between the door panel and glass, they won't be able to reach that spot with the correct pressure. You could offer to disassemble the door (remove the door panel and possibly the glass) if you're comfortable with that to give them more open access to the area.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
Jaystroh

Drives: Camaro RS 2LT
Yea I’m in the process of getting other opinions and I was kinda surprised that it was like considered an impossible thing just because of the location. I’m all for mirror removal or door panel removal if it makes the fix possible. don’t wanna break the bank or anything but would def like it fixed. thanks for the suggestions.
Jaystroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #18
Jaystroh

Awesome I appreciate that! would like to know others opinion. Just so I know if it’s worth continuing my search or leave it lol!
Old 11-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #19
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
You can not get behind it. there is a steel bar reinforcement behind it that makes up the door frame.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  171.2 KB

Different year but they are all built the same. Side impact Law's

Last edited by Jeb114; 11-05-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #20
Jaystroh

Got ya thanks for the info. You would think that reinforcement would have prevented the dent haha! guess I’ll just chalk this one up as a loss. no biggie
Old 11-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #21
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Maybe check with companies that do hail damage repair if you can't find a PDR company that will attempt to fix it.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #22
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I had a PDR guy use honestly I think hot glue and pins to remove a dent once (completely on the exterior). I would think they could try and at least remove a good portion of it.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #23
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Paintless dent repair can do wonders. See my Suburban.
Attached Images

AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #24
Jaystroh

Yea I agree hard part is because of its location. Even the picture doesn’t do it justice as to how tight that area is. Have to be a small tool to get in there that’s for sure. not a ton of options near me for the paintless repair it seems.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #25
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Still seems like a combination between a body shop (disassembling the door and knowing exactly how much to remove to provide access) and PDR (to do the dent removal) might be a way to address it without devaluing the car from having it painted.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #26
Jaystroh

Yea kinda striking out so far. I emailed another shop further away and am waiting on their response. as far as devaluing the car, how would a respray of the door do that? Just curious since I would think the value would be better if it didn’t have a dent in it haha! I def wouldn’t have the GM dealer do the repaint. So it wouldn’t be listed on anything connecting it to the car etc..
Old 11-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #27
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystroh View Post
Yea kinda striking out so far. I emailed another shop further away and am waiting on their response. as far as devaluing the car, how would a respray of the door do that? Just curious since I would think the value would be better if it didn’t have a dent in it haha! I def wouldn’t have the GM dealer do the repaint. So it wouldn’t be listed on anything connecting it to the car etc..
Non-factory paint = CARFAX report and/or noticeable to the eye = reduced value. You have to disclose it at time of sale if asked (any dealer valuing for trade will ask) or they could back at you after-the-fact.

If they touch the paint, it's no longer a perfect match. The color could be slightly off, the metal flake could differ, the amount of orange peel, etc. Some colors are worse than others at matching, too. Bright sunlight it might look perfect and when it rains it could look way off. You just never know what it will look like until it's done.

With that said, I had a body shop do a major door repair on a Tungsten SUV (Chevy) and it still looks great five years later. Sometimes it works out fine, sometimes not. In the end, the car lost a bit of value because of the repair because buyers harp on it when they're looking to buy and sellers brush it off.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #28
Jaystroh

Wow a part touch up or aesthetic panel repaint ends up on carfax? That I did not know. Crazy. Thanks for the info. we will see how it all pans out. not the end of the world either way I guess lol