Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 11-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
jwaked

Drives: 11 Corvette ZR1
School me on Remote Tunning

As I have mentioned a few times, in my days there was no remote tunning, (20 years ago) so I am lost, totally lost. 2018 Camaro SS M6 just installed 2" Long Tubes TSP, X Pipe no cats, Borla Atak Axle Back, and Rotofab. The more I read the more confused I get.

Besides the Tuner, what do I need? I keep reading about HP tuner or SCT or BDX, some say gauge, credits, etc. Crap it used to be way simpler.

Please think of me as your 4 year old so be patient.

Thanks
Jay
jwaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Happy Thanksgiving!

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525621

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
jwaked

Thanks man but there are things that do not apply from the link.

1. No Dyno
2. Credits?
3. Gague needed?

Thanks
Jay
Old 11-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I suggest that you focus on selecting your remote tuner first. There are a number of highly recommended tuners on the forum. Once you have selected a tuner they should be able to explain options, trade-offs, and answer all your questions.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Generally most people use hptuners, if you go with that, $300 for that I think. Then you need credits, being a manual, you will probably need 5, depending on who you go with, some people only need 4, they are $50 each unless you can get a discount.You also need to buy a wideband gauge setup that is compatible,if you stay with hptuners the aem x series works with it, around $300. Then you need to find someone to tune and pay for their services which vary. Then an extra charge for e85 tune which varies as well. I think I paid somewhere in the ballpark of $1200 give or take a few. You may be able to get it a little cheaper depending on who you go with, that was just my experience
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaked View Post
Thanks man but there are things that do not apply from the link.

1. No Dyno
2. Credits?
3. Gague needed?

Thanks
Jay
I’ll add to what Booher said with an AEM wide band O2 sensor with gauge. 30-0334 plugs into OBDII port and has pass through that HP Tuners module can plug into so you don’t have to purchase Pro version of HP Tuners. (Comes with O2 bung to weld into collector) $226.09

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0334/

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Old 11-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
jwaked

Thanks guys, Booher got it easy to understand, thanks.

Ted at Jannetty has the package with the AEM X Series gauge, is that the one you mean Trochoidal? because does not mention needing the pro version.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #8
jwaked

Is the pro version needed ?
Old 11-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
Trochoidal

Quote:
Thanks guys, Booher got it easy to understand, thanks.

Ted at Jannetty has the package with the AEM X Series gauge, is that the one you mean Trochoidal? because does not mention needing the pro version.
Yes.

Quote:
Is the pro version needed ?
The pro version gives the ability for an analog wide band input. The gauge and sensor I posted uses your OBDII instead of analog. You can see the Pass through connection in the link below.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/artic...lashscan-v2-hp

Last edited by Trochoidal; 11-28-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Additional answer
Old 11-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #10
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
please check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP_...JqJOiGoCRT5SCw

there is a lot of info about learning how to not only do the things youll need to do for remote tuning but also teaching how to do it yourself.

I did a remote tune and after learning how to do things myself, i found my remote tune was far far from perfect. Not saying getting a remote tune is not worth it, it got me in the right ballpark. I did multiple revisions with the tuner so it was decent. You can dedicate way more time in perfecting it yourself then a remote tuner will be able to do for a given dollar amount.

At the very least use them to get yourself familiar with the ecm and hptuners software
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
LOL!
I totally feel your pain and I'm going through it now too!

Check out this link too...I found it helpful, as well as Goat Garage.
HPTuner
Old 12-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
OVRKLL

I have a question for those that know about HPTuner stuff.

If a Tuner locks your ECM, can he or myself unlock it?
And what exactly does that mean...no other tuner can tune your car?
Old 12-03-2019, 02:31 AM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
who ever has the device that locked it can unlock it. Dont lock it or allow your tuner to lock it. Ask
you will need a HP Tuner. Dont bother with other platforms. HP Tuners is the best for GM. Get a MPVI2 with 4 credits if manual 6 if auto. $299 + $50 per credit. You do not need the pro version. you can buy 1 credit for the fuel control module but unless you going to be big power, modding the fuel system or its worth it to you to change your NPP settings its unneeded. Autos need the transmission control module sent to HP to be unlocked. $199
you will also need a wide band o2 set up that will work with HP Tuners. needs a serial port out. The AEM 30-0334 with obd2 is suggested by most and is easiest.
You can do all that or get a dyno tune that will be better or just as good for around the same price and you wont have to worry about going to jail doing data logs. Actually a proper track tune is the best tune. but most remote tuners wont send the time and you will need to use a racetrack to do it safely. If you go with a dyno tune make sure it is a load bearing dyno. A Lot of hacks use cheap non load bearing dynos that cant tune for drivability. Many remote tuners dont use widebands and will not spend the time it takes to do a proper tune. If labor is cheap they are probably in this category.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 12-03-2019 at 02:43 AM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #14
OVRKLL

Thank you JCunningham!

The shop I took my car to is doing the tuning, I purchased 3 credits, but as you mentioned as well as Tigerss and the HPTuner website, I need 4.

I did mention that to him yesterday. I presume the shop has the MPV12 unit as he did not give that to me...unless he will when he is done...

I asked him about the wideband, and he said yes, you must tune with wideband, so I think it's safe to say that is what he is going to do.

He also mentioned he is going to do a street tune...and I asked if that meant he was going to tune it while driving on the road, he said yes, since that's where the car lives most of the time.

He is not doing a dyno or a track tune.

I need to ask him NOT to lock the ECM, should I decide to do my own tuning later.

I've been watching Goat Garage and it's pretty informative, as well as Tuning School...slowly learning some things.

Now this may be a lame question, but I see on the tuners (Goat Garage) computer what looks like a dashboard of sort with all the parameters PIDs etc. on a screen. And he can simulate driving speeds/rpms by moving a bar.

How do you get that dashboard?

Does it pop up when you plug in to the MPV12 unit or do you need to register with HPTuner?

Again sorry for the newbie question, but this is all new to me.