Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #71
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Call me weird, but I never understood why you'd want to dim out something that tells people your about to slow down or stop.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #72
RPI Designs

Drives: 2016 SS 6 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
Call me weird, but I never understood why you'd want to dim out something that tells people your about to slow down or stop.
You don't understand how these work. These do not dim the light output. These are blacking out the red when the lights are not on. Some folks get confused with that. You do not dim the light output.

RPI Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #73
16CamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
A couple of the pictures on RPI's store site are of my vehicle. One is at night on a fairly dark road and the other is a couple streets over in the dark but under a street light. You can see the lights remain plenty bright. This convinced me they were perfectly safe at night.

Also, I was very concerned about the light output during the day because lights don't look so bright in the day by their very nature and putting covers on them may have made them too dim. While I wanted to darken my lights on the cheap, I didn't want to do it at risk to myself or my car.

Once the covers were installed, I had my wife drive the car during the daytime while I followed behind in her car. The lights were just as bright as the cars around us and there was even a 80's car in traffic that day whose OEM lights were much dimmer than my covered lights.

Sometimes you see people with covers on their lights and their lights look very dim and it's unclear when they are braking or just using their running lights. These covers aren't like that. While I won't say you retain 100% of your light output (I'd guess 90%), you retain most of it and definitely enough to be safe. Modern brake lights are brighter than are needed to be safe.

I'd liken it to tinting your car. You can put on some pretty decent tint and still not have your vision degraded (daytime or night time). While other tints are so dark they really inhibit your vision. This is like the tint that doesn't make it unsafe to drive but still gives a nice look.

Last edited by 16CamaroSS; 08-10-2019 at 01:57 PM.
16CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #74
RPIDon

Drives: Camaro
Send a message via AIM to RPIDon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI Designs View Post
Check out our new tail light blackout kit in the vendor section.

Link to our sale thread in the vendor section.

Okay here is what is going on with our Camaro blackouts.

We do not have enough employees to make the blackouts here at our shop.
So we have another company making them for us. We have been working with them for years and they do a great job.
Unknown to us even though we specified a clear tape to be used on the blackouts they used black tape instead.
It was not until a forum member posted a picture and the tape could be clearly seen that we understood what other forum members had been saying.
(Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.)

So what we want to do to make things right.

We will send out free replacement blackout kits to anyone that wants them.
All you need to do is contact us via phone call or send us a PM with your name and/or order number and we will get your replacement blackouts sent to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you will continue to do business with us.

RPI Designs
Tape issue is fixed and we have these in stock for immediate shipment with hundreds of satisfied customers.

Thank you again!
RPIDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:46 AM   #75
RPIDon

Thank you for the orders!
Old 12-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #76
RPIDon

We have 38 sets in stock for immediate shipment!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #77
RPI Designs

Drives: 2016 SS 6 Spd
Back in stock and ready to ship!
RPI Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #78
RPIDon

Use Coupon COde RPISHELLEY5 FOr Immediate Savings
Old 12-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #79
RPIDon

Old 12-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #80
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
I agree there is no way that the covers do not dim the light output. Regardless of that, you are taping plastic onto your taillights ... and paying close to $200 for it . To each their own, but it won't be on my car.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #81
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI Designs View Post
You don't understand how these work. These do not dim the light output. These are blacking out the red when the lights are not on. Some folks get confused with that. You do not dim the light output.

No clearly you don't understand simple physical science. You are adding opacity after the light source, YOU ARE LOWERING THE VALUE OF THE TRANSMITTED LIGHT. PERIOD. Just like the GTS covers sold at Pep Boy's since the 90's, which these are eerily reminiscent of.

We get that you want to sell these, and defend them for whatever reason... but coming on here and flat-out lying about something that is quite simply disproven through scientific theory is not the way to do that. You need to amend these falsehoods as you are misrepresenting the product.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #82
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
No clearly you don't understand simple physical science. You are adding opacity after the light source, YOU ARE LOWERING THE VALUE OF THE TRANSMITTED LIGHT. PERIOD. Just like the GTS covers sold at Pep Boy's since the 90's, which these are eerily reminiscent of.

We get that you want to sell these, and defend them for whatever reason... but coming on here and flat-out lying about something that is quite simply disproven through scientific theory is not the way to do that. You need to amend these falsehoods as you are misrepresenting the product.
Calm down. So the light output might be dimmed by 5 to 10% at most (if that...I just pulled that out of my you know what)...which means basically nothing in terms of these being unsafe to use.

The product is safe. Testimonials above attest to that. If people want to pay for it. Let them, and leave it be.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #83
RPIDon

Old 12-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #84
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post

Damn! Looks like someone already got a lump of coal in their stocking.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote