Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #1
Davis1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Running too rich after tune?

Hey everyone,

So I recently got my car dyno tuned and I was kind of disappointed. My car made 433 whp and 451 torque so I posted it on Facebook to get some opinions on why I ran such low numbers. I was repeatedly told my car was running too rich. I went back and talked to my tuner and he said he tried to go the lean route but my car would pull timing, as much as 6 degrees. I'm currently unsure of what to do and I was told running rich on these DI motors are not safe, it is safer to run lean. What are your opinions?

My mods are:
TSP headers 1-7/8 inch
Rotofab Intake (dry filter)
Mishimoto catch can
Flex Fuel Sensor (at the time of tune I had 58% ethanol)
Attached Images

Davis1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
First, you can only call them "low" if you have a baseline from YOUR car on the same dyno. All dyno reads will vary, and your gains should be all relative to YOUR baseline dyno. Otherwise, you can NOT compare this dyno to that dyno. If your tuner is experienced with DI engines, then I wouldn't worry.

Does the car fell more powerful to your butt dyno? If so, don't worry about what every other FB/keyboard warrior says. Most have no idea what they're talking about.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
Davis1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
First, you can only call them "low" if you have a baseline from YOUR car on the same dyno. All dyno reads will vary, and your gains should be all relative to YOUR baseline dyno. Otherwise, you can NOT compare this dyno to that dyno. If your tuner is experienced with DI engines, then I wouldn't worry.

Does the car fell more powerful to your butt dyno? If so, don't worry about what every other FB/keyboard warrior says. Most have no idea what they're talking about.
Other LT1 cars made 440 whp on his dyno on pump gas. A C7 with just headers. No intake or flex fuel made 440 something on his dyno, which worries me because I have a rotofab and also 58% ethanol at the time and I made a lot less.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:12 AM   #4
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
That's a 12afr-11.8afr which is way rich for a stock LT1. I posted on your fb question and you need it tuned again at the correct afr. I'm 9psi at 12-12.2afr and zero knock retard.

If you're local to Chicago, I can get you dialed in no problem. I can also remote login if your tuner is having issues. Put the timing back in that they took out, lean it out, and watch the knock go away......

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Whocares05050

AFR is only 1 of a dozen things.... and will not tell you the whole story nor change HP much in the big picture. Find a better tuner.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Sorry to say, but you need a new tuner if he just gave up on correcting fuel mixture...

Also you have a 1LE, people don't take into consideration that we have ZL1 in tank fuel pumps....

When I tuned... Pray also had the same issue, but he figured it out with my car on a dyno and remotely tuned. That was about 2 years ago which im probably sure i was 1 of the first 1LE's he had tuned but he never quit till the car was right.

Its that simple.

That being said, a baseline is very important... because gains will tell you better if you are on par with the avg hp gains... the peak HP is just a number based on dyno calibrations... but looking at your graph you are leaving at least 15hp on the table.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 AM   #7
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
As previously mentioned, the numbers themselves mean nothing unless you have the baseline numbers from the same dyno.

That said, something looks wrong with your tune. The big drop off after 5600rpm is very strange, it should pull to a higher rpm than that, and then have a gentle fall off. The AFR shown on the sheet, if it's based on lambda like usual for an oxygen sensor, also looks rich for a normally-aspirated LT1. Looks around .78, and somwhere around .86 to .88 is probably better for this engine. The AFR is fairly steady so there are other problems besides this going on here (not a rich spot corresponding to the strange dip in power).
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
Davis1LE

The AFR is 11.31 at 433 whp. I’m thinking of going to vengeance racing, Pray porting or lsxperts. Just don’t know who yet and waiting for their responses. Just sucks that I pretty much wasted a lot of money trusting the guy.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
asrautox

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis1LE View Post
I went back and talked to my tuner and he said he tried to go the lean route but my car would pull timing, as much as 6 degrees. I'm currently unsure of what to do and I was told running rich on these DI motors are not safe, it is safer to run lean. What are your opinions?

My mods are:
TSP headers 1-7/8 inch
Mishimoto catch can
This is a sure sign it's false knock. If you have access to the tune, you can go back and do three things:

- Turn off COT Protection (if you don't have cats)
- Increase knock sensor sensitivity threshold (mine are at 5)
- Lean your PE AFR's (target 12.8-13 for gas, 8.5 for E85)

Otherwise, find a new tuner who can do this for you...
asrautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
RPM just did a experiment with a NA Corvette. Fran did 3 pulls back to back. One @ 12.8 afr, 11.5 afr, and 13.5 afr. Guess what, they were all within 5whp of each other on a 400-430whp car. The AFR isn't costing you power but the timing is. The LT1 knock sensor sensitivity is way too sensitive because GM set the engines up with the ability to run on 87. So that combined with high compression is why they pull timing very easy. You need to find a competent tuner that knows how to tune these DI engines correctly.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis1LE View Post
Hey everyone,

So I recently got my car dyno tuned and I was kind of disappointed. My car made 433 whp and 451 torque so I posted it on Facebook to get some opinions on why I ran such low numbers. I was repeatedly told my car was running too rich. I went back and talked to my tuner and he said he tried to go the lean route but my car would pull timing, as much as 6 degrees. I'm currently unsure of what to do and I was told running rich on these DI motors are not safe, it is safer to run lean. What are your opinions?

My mods are:
TSP headers 1-7/8 inch
Mishimoto catch can
It is definitely rich but not going to hurt your numbers much we set them to .86 lambda so you can do 2 mile runs without issue.

Should be around 460 RWHP on E58 but dynos vary so you must first find out what stock camaros show on this dyno so you know the real gains.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Don't know my AFR but my dyno numbers are almost identical to yours with the same mods and the tune was done by a very reputable tuner in my city. Go to the track and see what it runs and forget about dyno numbers.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Damn every good tuner on Md claims 430-440 tops with these mods. You all have high #s okay not every lol but the two GOOD ONES I've used. I think one was an inground older mustang dyno and one a newer mustang dynojet