Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Jimabe

Drives: 2018 Red ZL1
Anybody do LT's, Cat Del and aftermarket exhaust in Northern IL?

Hey Guys

Posted last week after i did Kooks LT's, off road pipes, pulley, tune, etc. Kept stock muffler in effort to keep as quiet and adjustable as possible. Not liking the sound with this new combo and the stock muffler. Tinny, raspy, Blatt....

When in Tour, it's pretty quiet. Not far off stock. I could go with louder growl here...When the NPP valves open, holy crap!. Too loud for me...(i know i'll get crap for that comment!).

I have read a bunch here, called Borla and Phastek, and it all looks like i need to find someone who has these mods and has a Borla/Corsa/etc and hear how it sounds.

The guy at Borla says anything i do will make it WAY louder. From the stock muffler in Tour, yes i'd agree...and that's OK. Once the valves open, it's hard to believe it can get louder. Some say keep NPP, some say get rid of to keep quieter overall...

I'm OK with louder/deeper than Tour Mode, but looking for "Better" sounding than the stock muffler now when valves are open (and closed for that matter). Even if I can't get quieter, have a deeper tone.

Anybody close to Northern Illinois and willing to let me hear your setup? They all recommend hearing in-person as sound clips just don't reproduce accurately.

Thanks!

Jim
Jimabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I'll just jump in and say the guy from Borla took the words out of my mouth. You're not going to quiet it down or get rid of much of the sound characteristics. A Corsa system is going to make it louder, but will take away some of the rasp/farty/tinny sound as well as any drone. But it's going to be loud as hell at WOT.

Same thing for a Borla system. The only thing I can think of is adding a resonated X Pipe like people did on the 5th gens but I'm not sure if anybody makes one yet for the 6th gens.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Jimabe

The guy from Borla said the same, put my stock resonators back on. To be honest, I'm not sure my Tuner/installer pulled them off. We did have a discussion about the second set of Cats...are they resonators or cats? My installer said they pulled 4 cats off. So are there resonators too? The Borla dude said there are 4 cats and separate resonators and a muffler. Guess i should crawl under and look...
Old 06-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimabe View Post
The guy from Borla said the same, put my stock resonators back on. To be honest, I'm not sure my Tuner/installer pulled them off. We did have a discussion about the second set of Cats...are they resonators or cats? My installer said they pulled 4 cats off. So are there resonators too? The Borla dude said there are 4 cats and separate resonators and a muffler. Guess i should crawl under and look...
There's 4 sets of cats and the suit case muffler. No resonators. Though the secondary cats should be called resonators. So if the tuner removed all 4 then it's all gone except the muffler.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Jimabe

No luck yet on finding one local to hear, but talking w/the different Reps sounds like the CORSA axle back is the one for me. Will be louder than with current NPP's closed (that's fine) but should be a bit quieter than with the NPP's open (straight headers).

Being that these don't have the NPP's, will it throw some kind of code?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
I'm going with the full ARH system on my ZL1, cat-delete. My SS has ARH long system into stock muffler, but with a NicKey Stage I cam.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
No luck yet on finding one local to hear, but talking w/the different Reps sounds like the CORSA axle back is the one for me. Will be louder than with current NPP's closed (that's fine) but should be a bit quieter than with the NPP's open (straight headers).

Being that these don't have the NPP's, will it throw some kind of code?

Thanks
Under no circumstance is the Corsa going to be quieter than stock NPP, closed, open or any other variation. The Corsa is a better tuned system so it may CRUISE quieter when you're on the highway or keeping it below 3000 RPM which is what Corsa is the best at. But if you put your foot into it, the Corsa will be louder, albeit better sounding in all situations. Sport or Xtreme. The Corsa is a straight 2.75" exhaust with muffler cases to cancel drone and other unwanted sound characteristics. Contrary to popular belief, the valves being open on the NPP doesn't make it "straight piped" or any of the other terms I've heard said about it. The exhaust is still flowing through the same distance and amount of pipes, it's just allowed to take a path of less resistance. See the diagram for the vented pipe that will still leak and bleed exhaust into the rest of the suitcase...

Old 06-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Jimabe

Wow, That's a cool pic!
So looks to get some straight and some bleeding when open.
Damn...still probably need to hear one live before i drop ~ $1500 and make it louder still!
Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Wow, That's a cool pic!
So looks to get some straight and some bleeding when open.
Damn...still probably need to hear one live before i drop ~ $1500 and make it louder still!
Thanks for the advice!
Yeah. Again, it's probably going to cruise just as quiet but there's no way it'll be quieter in any other dimension. Cold starts are going to be brutal, WOT will be heard for a mile. Just how it is. Learn to love it.

There's no system that's quieter than stock. Quite simply, everybody is after an axle-back for more volume. Once headers are tossed into the picture, it multiplies everything sound-wise.

I don't think there's any restriction such as cats/resonators/mufflers that you could safely add without risking back pressure problems, high heat build up, melting, etc.

Learn to love it, or put it back to stock. You could try a set of GESI cats but they're expensive. They will tone the sound/rasp down some but like I said, probably north of $1000 all said and done. And they're the only cats I would trust that will last and hold up for a while.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Jimabe

Yeah, I was going to go Kooks greens, but my tuner talked me out of it. Said even those would fail eventually.

Guess I will find out soon. Going with Corsa Sport on Friday. Have a 1/2 mile race in Battle Creek, MI on July 2 so will be cool for that at least...

That cutaway pick you sent was great. Got to be some straight through action even though it's vented a bit. Again, will find out shortly!

Thanks again
Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Yeah, I was going to go Kooks greens, but my tuner talked me out of it. Said even those would fail eventually.

Guess I will find out soon. Going with Corsa Sport on Friday. Have a 1/2 mile race in Battle Creek, MI on July 2 so will be cool for that at least...

That cutaway pick you sent was great. Got to be some straight through action even though it's vented a bit. Again, will find out shortly!

Thanks again
I may be at the Battle Creek event. Do you know if the public can attend? I missed my opportunity to register...Sold out quick.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #12
Jimabe

Yes public can attend. It's actually a huge week-long airshow with some racing mixed in. The site BCSpeedFest says spectators can buy tickets on site.
I was one of last to get in, that's why racing on 3rd.

I have 2 sessions on Tues July 3. Some BA cars racing. There's a 2600hp Lambo Hurracan in the group. Also GTR's, GT350, GT500, Hellcat's, Z06's...and a couple ZL's...

Should be cool as hell.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Yes public can attend. It's actually a huge week-long airshow with some racing mixed in. The site BCSpeedFest says spectators can buy tickets on site.
I was one of last to get in, that's why racing on 3rd.

I have 2 sessions on Tues July 3. Some BA cars racing. There's a 2600hp Lambo Hurracan in the group. Also GTR's, GT350, GT500, Hellcat's, Z06's...and a couple ZL's...

Should be cool as hell.
Sounds like fun, I'll be working on Tuesday though.

2600 HP seems to be the highest I've ever heard for those TT V10 cars. UGR only mentions 2200 or so on their "kill" setup that does 255+ MPH consistently.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #14
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Jimabe, so what’s the verdict on the Corsa Sport with LT Headers combo compared to the stock NPP?
Your thoughts?