Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 06-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
BundiMan
The Nights Watch

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6 Vert
Subs for Vert

Anyone install a sub in there convertible yet? Looking for any ideas or photos. I think the space on the driver's side in the trunk could be an option with a lot of dead space behind the pho carpeted wall.
BundiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
There are a few of us that have put a sub in the convertible. I myself used a truck box and put it below where the top sits. I had it modified so that it would make the sub down fire and not up at the top. It sounds great but does use up more trunk space. There is another guy here that had a custom box built to go in the position you are talking about. That would be ideal but all the shops around me quoted $1000 just for the custom work on the box. I still may do it one of these days but for now my solution is working for me.

You can just do a search and you will find pictures of my setup as well as the custom box.

I at one time also thought about putting a sub in the back seat. But decided against it since that is where the golf clubs go.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
There are a few of us that have put a sub in the convertible. I myself used a truck box and put it below where the top sits. I had it modified so that it would make the sub down fire and not up at the top. It sounds great but does use up more trunk space. There is another guy here that had a custom box built to go in the position you are talking about. That would be ideal but all the shops around me quoted $1000 just for the custom work on the box. I still may do it one of these days but for now my solution is working for me.

You can just do a search and you will find pictures of my setup as well as the custom box.

I at one time also thought about putting a sub in the back seat. But decided against it since that is where the golf clubs go.
what he said
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
Well to build a sub box, for 2017 2LT Convertible is really is not all that hard. You can goto Home Depot and have them cut the MDF for a very few $$, in fact the guy cut me enough from 2 4x8 and did not charge me for the extra cuts. So for $50 you can get 2 sub boxes cut and with some wood glue and a few wood clamps and a jig saw you can put it together. I built a full size box and holds 2 12" subs and so far is doing great! Considering the room under the top. So it won't cause the doors to come out of there tracks like you see on youtube.. But it's the best bass i have ever had and heard in a Camaro with HQ audio, M4A music.

Christopher
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengell View Post
But it's the best bass i have ever had and heard in a Camaro with HQ audio, M4A music.

Christopher
How do you like your sound when the top is down? I love my sound with the top up, but with it down, the sub becomes lifeless. I'm wondering if your location helps with that. Also, you have two 12's, so I imagine it likely still sounds great.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 06-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #6
cengell

Hi drfeelgood, it's not a powerfull when the top is down because the total air is reduced, but it's good. My box with 2 JL 12'' is about 45.5 hz and with 1200 watts behind it does sound good. I will using a RTA to dial it better.

I still have 100% of the trunk for storage and that was my goal and the top sits right on top of my sub box.

Christopher
Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
BundiMan
The Nights Watch

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6 Vert
cengell, could you add a picture of your box?
BundiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
cengell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundiMan View Post
cengell, could you add a picture of your box?
Here you go! I took a few months to build since it was below 0 here in Chicagoland. Very happy how it turned out.

I pushed the size to the max and this box is a sealed box that is designed for the JL 12TW4 profile subs!

So far with the Rockford 1200 Sub amp and the Alpine 600 watt 4 ch amp =
1800 watts I have not needed a more powerful alternator

Christopher

P.S I added some hard foam and made a T so there would no chance that the top would smash the JL speaker grills.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Very nice. I'm thinking about making my own to get 2 12's. I was originally looking at this box: http://www.audioenhancers.com/vehicl...fic/ccam95.php

Could you take quick rough measurements of the box? How did you get it in? I'm assuming I'll need to stop the top mechanism part way and lower it from above?
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
cengell

If I recall, it was 17" deep and 29" wide and 11" tall? I wanted the biggest box I could get in there and and had to slip it thru the top cover while I stopped it before it would close some so got to be fast or once it's open to place the sub remove the negative power to the battery.

Christopher
Old 01-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #11
SilverCamaroVert

Thanks! That what I figured.

Wow! 11" tall? That surprises me. I have my car ordered but not on hand yet. Trying to decide if I use one of the audio enhancers boxes or try to build my own. It was like 5 degrees out when I was at the dealer and in addition to not wanting to ask him to put the top down on the one 2019 convertible they had in that type of cold, I was too cold to want to measure so I got width and depth but no height.

The audio enhancers boxes are all 5 5/8" tall so I figured that was about all you could get with the grills.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
11" sounds high. I measured the Height of Space in Trunk Below Convertible Top When Top Is Down a while back. I measured ~8¼". In the last picture cengell posted, it appears that the tops of the speaker grills are higher than the top of the trunk side walls. IIRC, the top rests on those side walls when it's down. I would imagine his top is sitting on top of the speaker grills if the box is 11" high.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #13
SilverCamaroVert

That sounds more around what I was expecting. How do you guys like the volume of your subs with the top down? I've driven Miata's for the last 15 years. (2019 Camaro on order)
The subs were 2" behind my head under the top as the miata's top folds into the passenger compartment. I'm nervous that a pair of 10's mechanically separate from the passenger compartment might not be enough.

I saw somebody mention the other day of putting infinite baffle subs in place of the rear speakers. Good idea but doubt a pair of ~6" infinite baffle subs would be enough either...
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #14
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamaroVert View Post
That sounds more around what I was expecting. How do you guys like the volume of your subs with the top down? I've driven Miata's for the last 15 years. (2019 Camaro on order)
The subs were 2" behind my head under the top as the miata's top folds into the passenger compartment. I'm nervous that a pair of 10's mechanically separate from the passenger compartment might not be enough.

I saw somebody mention the other day of putting infinite baffle subs in place of the rear speakers. Good idea but doubt a pair of ~6" infinite baffle subs would be enough either...
I think they were talking about 6" IB subs in the read deck.. that was for a coupe.

I am utilizing the OEM rear speaker area and building a fiberglass enclosure for 2 x JL W3 6" subs to be paired with and in addition to the 10" JL W6 in the trunk.