Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 10-10-2023, 05:13 PM   #1
danomar

Drives: 2017 2LT V6
Memory Mirror Returns to Wrong Position

I could not find the answer via search (even though I thought I saw it posted once before), so forgive possible repetition.

Both my outside mirrors move down as they should when backing up. They both return to an original position. This is mostly as it should be.

I recently adjusted the driver's side mirror, but after backing up (after the vehicle is shut off), that mirror returns to the position it was at before I adjusted it. I adjust the mirror again, and it returns to the same position... Until the motor is shut down. The next time I back up, the mirror returns to the position it was prior to being adjusted.

Anyone else experienced this sort of partial memory loss?

Any ideas how to get the mirror to return to the latest position after backing up?
danomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
My Camaro has been immune to this, but another GM vehicle (2016 model year) in the family does the exact same thing, I kept second guessing myself until I became sure it was the mirror memory. Looks like a general GM programming issue.

The workaround in our case is to save and resave the positions to the same memory slot until it is remembered again...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:49 PM   #3
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
I think I'm with Arpad on this one, because I remember I once *thought* the same thing might have been happening with my 2016.

Now, OP, you don't mention if you have, in fact, re-saved the new, "adjusted" mirror setting -- which would be what we'd be hoping the thing would return to, once it tilts itself back up -- and while I assume that you have, it *is* also sorta easy enough to forget to do.

But another thing is -- and maybe Arpad can back me up -- is it not true that the car will NOT save new settings if you have the thing in gear?

So we're backing up, and we notice we want to make a small adjustment, and we probably make that adjustment, then go pounding on the memory buttons...except that if we're in "D" or "R", it won't save them. You may have to be in "Park" (or neutral, on a stick?) for it to actually save? ("Safety", don't you know...) I am almost positive that this is what was happening to me, and somewhere along the line, just by luck I happened to do it while in Park, and presto, new settings saved.

Or it's just random after all... :-/

(Not to hijack the thread, but I have always had mine set to lower the passenger-side mirror, yet I seem to go back and forth regarding the driver-side. Each time I make it drop, I encounter a situation where I want it NOT to. Then I change it, and the very next time, I wish I hadn't...)
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:04 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
I think I'm with Arpad on this one, because I remember I once *thought* the same thing might have been happening with my 2016.

Now, OP, you don't mention if you have, in fact, re-saved the new, "adjusted" mirror setting -- which would be what we'd be hoping the thing would return to, once it tilts itself back up -- and while I assume that you have, it *is* also sorta easy enough to forget to do.

But another thing is -- and maybe Arpad can back me up -- is it not true that the car will NOT save new settings if you have the thing in gear?

So we're backing up, and we notice we want to make a small adjustment, and we probably make that adjustment, then go pounding on the memory buttons...except that if we're in "D" or "R", it won't save them. You may have to be in "Park" (or neutral, on a stick?) for it to actually save? ("Safety", don't you know...) I am almost positive that this is what was happening to me, and somewhere along the line, just by luck I happened to do it while in Park, and presto, new settings saved.

Or it's just random after all... :-/

(Not to hijack the thread, but I have always had mine set to lower the passenger-side mirror, yet I seem to go back and forth regarding the driver-side. Each time I make it drop, I encounter a situation where I want it NOT to. Then I change it, and the very next time, I wish I hadn't...)
Hmm, interesting theory, and you may just have nailed it, Chief

The owner's manual of the other GM car, not the Camaro, explicitly states that the trans has to be in Park for memory storage to work. The way I read the text, it probably applies to both saving and recalling settings (wonder why they couldn't express it more clearly). Even though the Camaro's manual doesn't mention the gear, it only says the ignition has to be on or in accessory mode, there may well be a similar limitation.

And now that I think about it, I don't think I tried to save to my #1 memory slot on the Camaro while driving, only when parked. The last time I changed my settings was years ago anyway.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:32 PM   #5
danomar

Drives: 2017 2LT V6
Color me stupid.

I did not save the setting. I thought that was for seats alone.

That said, I did it just now with the car sitting in the garage, not moving. It now seems to be saving the previous setting. For the moment, at least.

Many thanks for the advices!
danomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:59 AM   #6
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Kewl. This is good news, both that it (seems to have) saved the setting AND that you did it the "right" way...

...meaning, if it starts acting up again, one could conclude that it's bugginess in the system somewhere -- which would probably shock exactly no one -- and not improper / incomplete attempts to save.

Good luck!
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote