Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-07-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
Jaybub

Drives: 2020 2SS
Newb Q - How to tell if I have headers?

Hi all. Just picked up a 2020 2SS 1LE manual. My first V8 ever and wow is this thing powerful. I friggen love this car. I just hit 51 when I bought it and figured I should be mature enough to handle this much power by now. However, real world results prove otherwise. God I shoulda got an american muscle car earlier in life.

The car came with some Borlas that sound absolutely fantastic. I'm wondering if that amazing sound is due to only the Borlas, or does this thing have headers as well? I bought it from a dealership so I wasn't able to inquire directly with the previous owner. Features list for the car failed to mention any add ons and stuck strictly with the stock features. I figured if the Borlas weren't added onto the feature list, headers wouldn't either.

I've done my fair share of minor wrenching in the past, but I've never messed with headers on my previous cars. Is there a simple way to be able to tell if the car still has its stock exhaust manifold vs add on headers? I'm thinking the best way to tell is by jacking it up and taking a look at what's coming out from the bottom of the engine. From what I understand, headers should have long individual tubes that meet up at a centralized exhaust pipe that I should be able to see from the bottom. Any way of being able to tell from the top of the engine?

Appreciate any info!
Jaybub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
Easiest way to tell is send us a pic under the hood, we can tell ya instantly.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:30 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Hey Jaybub, congratulations on this fantastic score, you have chosen very well, as you probably already know We're the same age, I've had my 6th gen Camaro since 2018 and it's a ton of joy to drive no matter the road or speed or even weather. The 2SS has the convenience and safety features that one expects of a car these days as a bare minimum, and what I love is these safety options inform but don't intervene: there is blind spot monitoring but no autosteering when I'm making a lane change, your car probably has front collision warning but it won't brake for you, the DIC has speed limit indication but the car won't slow down on its own to match that... and that's the way it should be, I want to drive this beast and not the other way around.

Your description is correct, the easiest is to get under the car and check out the collectors, see the picture below (courtesy Phastek Performance), these are of the Kooks longtube headers that I also have. Note also the cats that are different from stock, your car may or may not have them, depending on the product and the options the previous owner chose when ordering the headers.

It's also easy to recognize long tube headers from the top, as Yang N' Bang said, we'll help you out if you post a good pic of the engine bay.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:22 PM   #4
Jaybub

Drives: 2020 2SS
Appreciate the replies!

arpad_m, thanks a bunch. This sucker was hard to find and a score. The dealer marked it off over $10k from blue book because it was sitting on the lot for so long. They said manual transmission cars are hard to sell now days because not many of the younger generation know how to drive them. Oh well. You don't miss what you never knew. lol.

I'm glad I found a 2SS. That menacing blind spot that every YouTube reviewer goes off about is no longer an issue with the video rear view mirror and the blind spot monitoring. Also agree with you about the safety notifications. It's nice not to be forced into corrections.

I'll get those pictures taken and uploaded asap.
Jaybub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 11:33 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybub View Post
Appreciate the replies!

arpad_m, thanks a bunch. This sucker was hard to find and a score. The dealer marked it off over $10k from blue book because it was sitting on the lot for so long. They said manual transmission cars are hard to sell now days because not many of the younger generation know how to drive them. Oh well. You don't miss what you never knew. lol.

I'm glad I found a 2SS. That menacing blind spot that every YouTube reviewer goes off about is no longer an issue with the video rear view mirror and the blind spot monitoring. Also agree with you about the safety notifications. It's nice not to be forced into corrections.

I'll get those pictures taken and uploaded asap.
You are correct, the camera rear view mirror is an absolute game changer! Absolutely NO blind spots if you set that camera mirror and your side mirrors correctly... I was so paranoid driving the car at first (hearing all the horror stories about "no visibility", once I had those all set, I have much more visibility (and "SA" (Situational Awareness)) than I do in my DD (2012 Hyundai Sonata)...

Use the technology to your advantage, it is there for a reason!

Congrats on your score, sounds like a great vehicle with maybe a few bonus extras!

(That pic of the long tube headers above is a thing of beauty and is making me drool!)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote