Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-10-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
jstanton

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Tune Required For Headers?

Originally I was just going to do a Stainless Works axle back setup but now I am considering headers, X pipe, and catback. Would that require a tune?
jstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
I believe the general consensus is yes. In stock form, there is no advantage to long tubes over the factory header. I bought this car with the mods already on it and as a package, it does feel better than my first, all stock car did. But if you are doing it just to get louder exhaust, that's a lot of money for some noise. For what it's worth, Stainless Works stuff is nice quality.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Tune required for headers and x-pipe. Should be around ~450rwhp after tune. (from the stock ~385ish rwhp)
Best bang for the buck is headers over aftermarket axle back exhaust. (CON- you will normally void your powertrain warranty with a tune depends your local GM dealer)

Last edited by adamjwilson; 04-10-2023 at 11:59 AM.
adamjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:42 AM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
Tune required for headers and x-pipe. Should be around ~450rwhp after tune. (from the stock ~385ish rwhp)
You're saying that headers and mid pipe gain ~65rwhp on an SS (450 minus 385)? That is a very optimistic number. We've seen tests on the SS, and they've been gaining 15 to 25 at the wheels, yes that was installing long tubes, modding or changing the mid section, and tuning for them. Don't want the OP to get an unrealistic expectation here.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Anything affecting the primary cats will need a tune, plus you would want a tune to maximize the gains anyway.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:51 AM   #6
adamjwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
You're saying that headers and mid pipe gain ~65rwhp on an SS (450 minus 385)? That is a very optimistic number. We've seen tests on the SS, and they've been gaining 15 to 25 at the wheels, yes that was installing long tubes, modding or changing the mid section, and tuning for them. Don't want the OP to get an unrealistic expectation here.
That is correct. On my first mod to my car it dyno'ed at 445rwhp with 2" headers and x-pipe install. (some others here have gained more) I don't post stuff without researching or documenting it myself along my journey. If you only gain 15-25 rwhp after headers and x-pipe install... I would be looking for a new tuner
Old 04-11-2023, 09:28 AM   #7
18.2SS.1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
That is correct. On my first mod to my car it dyno'ed at 445rwhp with 2" headers and x-pipe install. (some others here have gained more) I don't post stuff without researching or documenting it myself along my journey. If you only gain 15-25 rwhp after headers and x-pipe install... I would be looking for a new tuner
385 whp would be on the low side, most A10's are around 400 whp. A 45 whp gain with headers, x-pipe and a tune is still a good gain.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:48 AM   #8
adamjwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18.2SS.1LE View Post
385 whp would be on the low side, most A10's are around 400 whp. A 45 whp gain with headers, x-pipe and a tune is still a good gain.
rwhp is nice to show/post but torque is what you feel! It dyno'ed back then at 453 torque, and was a vast improvement from stock. Best bang for the buck rather than the aftermarket exhaust people normally do first which has very little gains. (The stock exhaust suitcase is good for ~1000 hp anyways but is a lead anchor compared to the aftermarket stuff in weight)
Old 04-11-2023, 10:39 AM   #9
wnta1ss

Quote:
No stock baseline of your car on the exact same dyno that said 445rwhp after headers and tune, correct? Problem with your line of thinking is that you CANNOT know the actual gains from the mods if you don't do the baseline first on the exact same dyno. There is WAY too much variance between dynos to just assume a baseline number. Stock SS dyno numbers ranging from 334rwhp to 443rwhp have appeared on this forum. Unless you baseline, your final numbers are really meaningless.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:24 PM   #10
adamjwilson

Quote:
No stock baseline of your car on the exact same dyno that said 445rwhp after headers and tune, correct? Problem with your line of thinking is that you CANNOT know the actual gains from the mods if you don't do the baseline first on the exact same dyno. There is WAY too much variance between dynos to just assume a baseline number. Stock SS dyno numbers ranging from 334rwhp to 443rwhp have appeared on this forum. Unless you baseline, your final numbers are really meaningless.
Really dude?? .. this is not my first rodeo.. baseline was at 385 (Gen5 SS cars are slightly lower)
I was probably working with various dynos when you were a kid...lmao
And you are not stating anything new that a speed shop would not know.
Take your preaching somewhere else unless you can add color to this post
Old 04-11-2023, 05:06 PM   #11
wnta1ss

Quote:
Really dude?? .. this is not my first rodeo.. baseline was at 385 (Gen5 SS cars are slightly lower)
I was probably working with various dynos when you were a kid...lmao
And you are not stating anything new that a speed shop would not know.
Take your preaching somewhere else unless you can add color to this post
Your post that I had quoted did not say that you were talking about a FIFTH GEN Camaro for those numbers. Because the OP wants to mod a SIXTH GEN Camaro, logic would obviously dictate that was the subject here. Dyno reports that I was talking about, of course, where for a 6th gen SS, like the OP wants to mod.

As far as that crap about preaching, trying to give accurate data, when someone like you had given optimistic numbers, is just doing a favor for the guys who want to know what reality is. Now we know that the numbers you posted were actually irrelevant to the OP's car, coming from a totally different car than his.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:02 PM   #12
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanton View Post
Originally I was just going to do a Stainless Works axle back setup but now I am considering headers, X pipe, and catback. Would that require a tune?
require a tune for what?

to drive around? no. i did 2" long tubes, orx & custom 3" exhaust on my car and put maybe 1000 miles on it before i got it tuned. it was louder and smellier, but that's about it. no issues with running & driving. no performance gain to be had and the CEL was on.

i had the car tuned on ethanol with a ported LT1 manifold and picked up 6 mph in the 1/4 from stock. 18 ss 1LE
Old 04-11-2023, 07:59 PM   #13
adamjwilson

Quote:
Your post that I had quoted did not say that you were talking about a FIFTH GEN Camaro for those numbers. Because the OP wants to mod a SIXTH GEN Camaro, logic would obviously dictate that was the subject here. Dyno reports that I was talking about, of course, where for a 6th gen SS, like the OP wants to mod.

As far as that crap about preaching, trying to give accurate data, when someone like you had given optimistic numbers, is just doing a favor for the guys who want to know what reality is. Now we know that the numbers you posted were actually irrelevant to the OP's car, coming from a totally different car than his.
Dude… LOOK at my tag… I have a 6 Gen Camaro
Wake up
Old 04-12-2023, 05:43 AM   #14
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Headers and no tune creates a dangerous lean condition. Driving around town you may be ok, but getting on it/accelerating briskly will increase the risk of engine damage significantly. Your ecm can not sufficiently adjust for the addition of headers. Why ever risk it?
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote