Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
AxiomVerge

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black M6 1SS Vert
Is there cam suitable for daily driving?

Very noob question. I've never upgraded a camshaft before but I like the exhaust sound and the idea of getting more power with it. But searching the forums it's not clear to me if you can get these things without having to worry about smog, maintaining the valve springs every 20k (which I would forget to do), or the ride becoming rough in an M6.

Or is it like there are cams out there suitable for a DD, but they wouldn't be any improvement from stock in terms of sound and performance?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
2008 Corvette Convertible
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
AxiomVerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Imho and im am by no mean an expert...but will give my thoughts. There are a few companies like JDP that offer cams that improve performane and still privide a "streetable" performing cam. Best to talk with the pros and make an informed decision based on their collective expertise. Do some research and ask the source, "horses mouth". There's a few knowledgeable sources here for sure, but get the facts from the brains that design said products
Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
If drivability is a concern have you considered a supercharger?

Drive like stock until it gets into boost

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
AxiomVerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Parker View Post
If drivability is a concern have you considered a supercharger?

Drive like stock until it gets into boost
Yeah, I'm trying to consider all my options. Just the idea of swapping the cam sounds interesting and unique if it didn't also entail the hassle.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Supercharger install is prolly less than labor for cam I would guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxiomVerge View Post
Very noob question. I've never upgraded a camshaft before but I like the exhaust sound and the idea of getting more power with it. But searching the forums it's not clear to me if you can get these things without having to worry about smog, maintaining the valve springs every 20k (which I would forget to do), or the ride becoming rough in an M6.

Or is it like there are cams out there suitable for a DD, but they wouldn't be any improvement from stock in terms of sound and performance?

Hello and welcome!

I offer cams specifically for your personal goals, we can provide you with all the parts and the tuning to go along with it.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss your project.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
DD goat

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
1. Cam swap in this car is not the easiest compared to others.
2. DO NOT buy a cam based on the sound. Some of the best sounding cams are the worst for the street!!
DD goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD goat View Post
1. Cam swap in this car is not the easiest compared to others.
2. DO NOT buy a cam based on the sound. Some of the best sounding cams are the worst for the street!!
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
Honestly - with the fuels systems in the LT1 being the way it is... Cam questions will likely be as/more common as they were for Gen 3/4 LSx motors, as the fuel lobe change is an easy way to add fueling even with labor costs, isn't much more expensive than an LT4 pump/injectors.

For newbies, the thing to know and remember is, the camshafts biggest job to SET THE RANGE OF YOUR POWERBAND. - Yes it will add power, but if you go too agressive you will sacrifice mid and low-rpm power for only high-rpm power. If you're not going to be in the high RPMs all the time (most aren't - these are street cars after all) - You likely don't need the most aggressive cam you can find. And in some real world scenarios, a smaller cam might make only marginally less power but the power peak is over a much broader RPM range, which in turn makes a car faster (not more powerful) - this is the idea of "the area under the curve" you'll hear of.

Can you get a streetable cam that'll make power and drive similar to stock? YES, absolutely! MAX Effort camshafts usually come with compromises in drivability, compromises in other required parts to support the cam (rear gears, stall converter, etc) - Or perhaps both. Do your research.

Also lastly - and I believe this isn't said often enough - "Drivability" is a relative term. Drivable to some means "the same as stock", to others it might mean "isn't stock, but requires little to no compromise" and yet to others it might mean simply "it's legal on the street and that's all I care about"

Personally, I plan on having a cam spec'd for me by a pro as opposed to an "off-the-shelf" grind from a vendor. This is more expensive but I'm willing to pay for it. Partially because I can specify how "drivable" I want it, but MAINLY because I plan on doing a very experimental set of heads (Ported Gen V 5.3L heads with custom size valving) - to make a car that is specifically for all-motor power.
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
Honestly - with the fuels systems in the LT1 being the way it is... Cam questions will likely be as/more common as they were for Gen 3/4 LSx motors, as the fuel lobe change is an easy way to add fueling even with labor costs, isn't much more expensive than an LT4 pump/injectors.

For newbies, the thing to know and remember is, the camshafts biggest job to SET THE RANGE OF YOUR POWERBAND. - Yes it will add power, but if you go too agressive you will sacrifice mid and low-rpm power for only high-rpm power. If you're not going to be in the high RPMs all the time (most aren't - these are street cars after all) - You likely don't need the most aggressive cam you can find. And in some real world scenarios, a smaller cam might make only marginally less power but the power peak is over a much broader RPM range, which in turn makes a car faster (not more powerful) - this is the idea of "the area under the curve" you'll hear of.

Can you get a streetable cam that'll make power and drive similar to stock? YES, absolutely! MAX Effort camshafts usually come with compromises in drivability, compromises in other required parts to support the cam (rear gears, stall converter, etc) - Or perhaps both. Do your research.

Also lastly - and I believe this isn't said often enough - "Drivability" is a relative term. Drivable to some means "the same as stock", to others it might mean "isn't stock, but requires little to no compromise" and yet to others it might mean simply "it's legal on the street and that's all I care about"

Personally, I plan on having a cam spec'd for me by a pro as opposed to an "off-the-shelf" grind from a vendor. This is more expensive but I'm willing to pay for it. Partially because I can specify how "drivable" I want it, but MAINLY because I plan on doing a very experimental set of heads (Ported Gen V 5.3L heads with custom size valving) - to make a car that is specifically for all-motor power.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
AxiomVerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post

Thanks for this advice. I actually prefer low end torque over high end if it's a choice. I dunno I guess I just like short bursts of speed over long buildups of speed.

I think I may still call JDP and see what they say...their shop is a 6 hour drive from here which could be a fun road trip.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #12
RedRacer Video

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Totally feasible. Just don't get carried away with the sizing of the cam. JDP is an excellent resource, as I think others here have mentioned.

Welcome to the forum!
RedRacer Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
This one looks interesting
http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.WMFwSJUzW71
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #14
Franko07

Drives: 17 white 1LE
off the subject a bit but i feel this is an excellent value, am i wrong?
http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.WMF08zvythE
Franko07 is offline   Reply With Quote