Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-09-2023, 05:14 PM   #1
Zealous

Drives: Camaro SS LE
Recommendations for Dash Cams

Was thinking of adding a dash cam for reckless or aggressive drivers out there. Any recommendations are welcome. I would guess the top priority is

1. Resolution - Doesn't need to be 4K or even 2K, but something that can show reasonably.

2. Storage - Would be neat if it had cloud storage. Having a cam both back and front would be neat.

3. Ease to install - Don't want to go through many hoops to install, but if it is worth it, feel free to add why.

Currently I have the SS LE, so my rear view technically is through a camera however, I don't know if this allows the ability to store what is shown.
Zealous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:44 PM   #2
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
The one I have been using is the Garmin 67W. The problem you run into is for all the ones I’ve found they have a hard time reading license plates in anything other than the best conditions. That one does better than most. The trick for install is finding a 12v source you can convert to 5v, unless you want wires showing. The mag mount that comes with the unit attaches to the windshield with 3m tape. After 4 years in the hot Texas sun I never had an issue with it.

As far as how I used it I just let the memory card recycle the old footage. The only time I took it out was on the rare occasions when I needed it. YMMV. Never saw much of a need for a rear camera, but again you may want something else.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 08:34 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
For the record, I have a dual channel, 4K Blackvue dash cam.

1. Some will likely disagree, but IMO it has to be at least 4K, even that is just about sufficient for reading license plates in your vicinity, unless conditions are absolutely perfect or the other vehicle in question is closer than 10-15 yards.

2. Blackvue's and Thinkware's units offer subscription based cloud storage, and they offer several models in both single or dual channel configurations. The rear camera always has a lower resolution, for example, mine is 4K in the front but only 2K in the rear.

3. It depends on how clean you want the install to be, but these are typically DIY friendly if you're okay with wires or willing to pop a few interior panels. I wanted it to look OEM, so I hardwired the setup to the trunk fuse box with a parking mode power supply. There are no visible wires except for the 1-2 inches near the edges of the headliner, and in the front I was able to guide the wire through the factory (!) notch.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 01:19 AM   #4
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
I have the Thinkware Q800 Pro and the OBD II Power Connector (purchased a couple of years ago). Great dashcam and simple install including routing the cable.
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:03 PM   #5
04DetroitLS

Drives: 2022 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
For the record, I have a dual channel, 4K Blackvue dash cam.

3. It depends on how clean you want the install to be, but these are typically DIY friendly if you're okay with wires or willing to pop a few interior panels. I wanted it to look OEM, so I hardwired the setup to the trunk fuse box with a parking mode power supply. There are no visible wires except for the 1-2 inches near the edges of the headliner, and in the front I was able to guide the wire through the factory (!) notch.
Gen5DIY has a harness adapter that plugs in under the pass side foot well (blower motor IIRC). Ran mine and my front cam is not visible when driving (sits behind rearview mirror) and I dont even notice the rear cam (Blackvue) was able to hide all the wires as well. If I had to do it again I would install the rear cam upside down and invert the image so the plug for the cam is on the pass side not the driver side as shown

EDIT

IDK why the first pic is 90* off, looks ok in my folder LOL
Attached Images

04DetroitLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:18 PM   #6
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Edit: I noticed later that my installer did not remove the protective plastic from the front and back lenses. The currently posted videos have the plastic removed. The first one is without the included polarizer installed and the second one is with. I can't tell much difference, but I think it might make more difference at night or in direct sunlight.

I just installed the Viofo A139 dual channel dashcam. I thought I'd post the youtube uploaded video from the front camera. In my experience no dashcam does a great job with license plates and you have to be pretty close to actually read them. With the default settings on the camera, I figure you need to be about 2 car lengths away from the plate to insure a good read. Any farther and legibility drops off significantly. This dashcam is generally well reviewed and has the latest Starvis2 video sensor. I've seen on any dashcam (although there may be better for all I know).

Last edited by dfwcowboy; 11-11-2023 at 10:20 AM.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE

Pretty good in the sub $70 price rance.

70mai A500S

Figure w hard wire "kit", another $20.. it's still decent for less than $100. Add high endurance SD card and optional rear cam.. you can spend more than $100.

Powers on as soon car is started and if you chose, can run for some time w onboard battery.Haven't used the app but like many, its probably shit. Shock sensor is bit sensitive so I get few "emergency recording" as I drive.

Like PDR video, I can take SD card and view/review on larger screen / better controls offered by PC.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote