#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-07-2019, 11:02 PM   #57
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traind View Post
The zl1le suspension changes must have something to do with its speed. Multimaric spool,valves, changed bushings... these things are what race cars use. Yes, tires make a big difference but suspension is also a big driver of performance. You see the same thing with Porsche GT cars.

The A10 makes some of that back... Optimal for a few laps would probably be zl1le with A10
That's what they say about the DSSV suspension, but I don't know. If the DSSV system is so superior, why haven't they fitted it to Corvette? A lot of actual racing series/classes forbid the use of active suspension, which I think is a big reason we don't see it racing.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #58
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
That's what they say about the DSSV suspension, but I don't know. If the DSSV system is so superior, why haven't they fitted it to Corvette? A lot of actual racing series/classes forbid the use of active suspension, which I think is a big reason we don't see it racing.
Just F1. No big deal.

As far as the Vette, I'd assume it's because of the transaxle and the lateral suspension setup, unlike the Camaro. I'm not sure how the DSSV would work with that setup.

Or it's along the same lines as Carbon Ceramics on the ZL1, it's not necessary or it isn't worth the extra cost.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #59
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
DSSV is just the particular system inside the shock for damping. It can be used anywhere you use a shock/strut.

As far as the relative benefits, we'd need true back to back testing to get meaningful data.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #60
Traind

Drives: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
DSSV is just the particular system inside the shock for damping. It can be used anywhere you use a shock/strut.

As far as the relative benefits, we'd need true back to back testing to get meaningful data.
Team Camaro did that testing and made the best changes they could with their budget.
Traind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #61
Rodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traind View Post
Team Camaro did that testing and made the best changes they could with their budget.
Obviously. That wasn't the question.

The question is what is the true delta between a ZL1 and ZLE on the same tires, same track, same day, same driver.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #62
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Obviously. That wasn't the question.

The question is what is the true delta between a ZL1 and ZLE on the same tires, same track, same day, same driver.
Respectfully... That defeats the purpose of comparing ZL1 and ZL1/1LE. Comparisons should be same driver, same track, same day... in fact one session right after the next... but cars 100% as they came from the factory. (In this case ZL1/1LE allowed to use the TrackCamber option). Full 20-30minute sessions as-well.

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #63
Rodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
Respectfully... That defeats the purpose of comparing ZL1 and ZL1/1LE. Comparisons should be same driver, same track, same day... in fact one session right after the next... but cars 100% as they came from the factory. (In this case ZL1/1LE allowed to use the TrackCamber option). Full 20-30minute sessions as-well.
Maybe you should read the thread... what you're describing has essentially already been done by the various magazines. Maybe not the same day, but we have lap times same track/same driver.

What we've been discussing is how much of the difference is due to the tires (likely a significant portion) and the DSSV suspension (likely a less significant portion). I think most agree the aero difference is not significant on most tracks.