Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Prodogs

Drives: 2017 2ss
2017 2SS Shutter : Dealer Can't Replicate

Need some advice. Started to experience the transmission shutter for the first time on a long drive from Charlotte to NYC.

Then on several trips down to south NJ.

Took the car to NYC dealer and they said after 20 miles they could not replicate shutter and refused to follow the GM Technical Bulletin.

I'm I helpless here or should I find another dealer.

Thanks for your help.
Prodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
What are you experiencing and how often because I would never take my car to a dealer unless it was warranty related/critical.

My car has 20k miles and never shakes.

I find replacing the oil sooner than later makes it smoother IMO because I drive it pretty hard

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
What are you experiencing and how often because I would never take my car to a dealer unless it was warranty related/critical.

My car has 20k miles and never shakes.

I find replacing the oil sooner than later makes it smoother IMO because I drive it pretty hard

You're not in the clear yet. My shudder didn't start until about 25k miles. It seems those of us who drive in Manual mode and / or accelerate hard tend to delay the effects of the TCC shudder because it is caused by the cylinder deactivation feature, which is much less aggressive when we are driving hard... but it doesn't completely stop the issue, only makes it take longer for it to surface.

As for the OP. Take it to another dealer. Some dealerships are very aware of the issue, others are completely clueless. I dont know if you may have business in Georgia anytime soon but Nash Chevrolet in Lawrenceville Georgia was VERY aware of the issue and even knew what I was talking about before I could even finish telling them the symptoms.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodogs View Post
Need some advice. Started to experience the transmission shutter for the first time on a long drive from Charlotte to NYC.

Then on several trips down to south NJ.

Took the car to NYC dealer and they said after 20 miles they could not replicate shutter and refused to follow the GM Technical Bulletin.

I'm I helpless here or should I find another dealer.

Thanks for your help.
Are you in NC or NJ/NY?
Old 06-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I suggest you take it to another dealer. The shudder happens when the clutches in the torque converter don't slip smoothly. It seems to be most apparent when driving on a stretch of highway that has a slight incline. There are specific tests that the tech should run with a computer running diagnostic software connected to the OBD port on your Camaro. According to Al Oppenheiser the shudder slowly damages the torque converter so the sooner you get the transmission fluid flushed and replaced the better.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527133
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Mine started at 24k miles. Usually happens when going up hills at 25-45mph.

In manual mode if you keep it above 2k RPMs it won't stutter. I agree that it seems to be the transition from cylinder deactivation.

It gets worse over time.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
Prodogs

I am at about 7K miles - i live in Manhattan and brought it to Potamkin on 51st and 11th avenue

I started experiencing the shutter while during a long drive form Charlotte to NYC. It normally happens when i’m traveling over 60mph.

It definitely feels like you are traveling over rumble shifts. At this point the shutter is intermittent meaning i don’t feel it all the time and only during parts of a long ride.

Just frustrating that GM recognizes these cars have the issue but choose to waste our time by saying since they can’t replicate it they wont repair it.

I guess its gonna take a class action lawsuit.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
Prodogs

Thanks.

There is a GM bulletin to replace the TC but apparently they won’t replace it unless THEY experience the shutter themselves - Just a big waste of time!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I suggest you take it to another dealer. The shudder happens when the clutches in the torque converter don't slip smoothly. It seems to be most apparent when driving on a stretch of highway that has a slight incline. There are specific tests that the tech should run with a computer running diagnostic software connected to the OBD port on your Camaro. According to Al Oppenheiser the shudder slowly damages the torque converter so the sooner you get the transmission fluid flushed and replaced the better.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527133
Old 07-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
honus03

Drives: 1979 Camaro. 2016 2LT/RS V6
My Service Manager told me today that my transmission isn't one that requires the flush even thought I have the shudder. It's an A8 with the V6. I'm really confused.
honus03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #10
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
TSB 16-NA-175 clearly states that all Camaro models with the A8 are included. They are to follow the service procedures outlined in TSB 18-NA-355.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54635-9999.pdf

You can print a copy of the TSB and take it to them.
Attached Images

Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodogs View Post
Thanks.

There is a GM bulletin to replace the TC but apparently they won’t replace it unless THEY experience the shutter themselves - Just a big waste of time!!!!
Do you have the TSB number?
Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
Mick0311

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline
It took my dealer 3 days to get the shudder to show up on their laptop. The tech could feel it but couldn't get it to show up. The service manager sent the car out twice on the last day and finally got a snapshot. Once he had that, he went ahead with the triple flush.

Aside from that rough ass 1-2 shift in the morning, the shudder seems to be gone, for now.

It might require just leaving your car there for a few days until they can get the shudder recorded. I have a great service manager that knows about these issues and isn't afraid to keep working until he can "prove" it to GM warranty.
Mick0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
honus03

Drives: 1979 Camaro. 2016 2LT/RS V6
How much driving did they end up having to do to finally get the laptop to catch it?
honus03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #14
Geckobros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
2017 2SS Shutter : Dealer Can't Replicate

I took mine in today to get the oil changed, asked my dealership to perform the flush. They knew about it and asked if I was experiencing it. I am not. I have near 15k on the car with no issue. I told them I wanted to be proactive as to not ruin the torque converter.

They tested and said my car has no shutter. Again, I have not experienced it. I use it to commute and it is in and out of V4 and V8. 80 mile commute and I city drive the car on the weekends but not as much as highway driving.

I was a bit ticked that they wouldn’t do the flush but said I now have an open ticket (I guess if it happens they can address it).

My dilemma is that I want to supercharge the car which will more than likely DQ me for the “fix”.

Last edited by Geckobros; 07-01-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote