Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
EarthToGreg

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Talking HOW TO VIDEO: 2016+ Gen 6 Chevy Camaro Interior Footwell Lighting Installation

I uploaded a quick overview video of how to install the interior footwell lighting for the 6th gen Camaro. Below the video is a short rehash of some of the pointers I discovered while doing the install. Overall, with a couple of breaks, it took about 3-4 hours to complete.

The result? I think they look great! It really rounds out all the other interior spectrum lighting. It's not crazy bright in the footwell, but it's far brighter than "hardly noticeable," like some folks on here were saying. I think you have to judge the brightness of the light when you actually having your legs in the footwell vs judging the brightness in an empty footwell. The light needs something to bounce off of that is higher up than the floor mats.

It still kind of blows my mind that Chevy jut doesn't include the installed footwell lights on cars coming out of the factory. Maybe it was a victim of price shaving to bring the manufacturing cost down, which I suppose I might understand as to why it got put on the chopping block . For the price of the Spectrum lighting kit though, you'd think they would include this. There are four other Spectrum lights, so not including the two color-changing footwell light is like forgoing 1/3 of the possible total lights.

A few installation notes:
- I had my dad helping me, which was useful when it came to wrangling off the glove box (and wrangling it back on!), as well as fishing through then driver side light. And moral support!
- My car only had three screws on the underside piece of the glove box. Some have commented on there being four screws. Mine had three, but there was a weird empty hexagonal hole under there that had nothing in it. Maybe some folks have a screw in there?
- The far back screw under the glove compartment is a huge pain. We should have had a shallower/lateral ratchet driver vs the long one we had on hand to use.
- The underside of the glove compartment didn't drop down very far for us. Just enough to be able to maneuver the electrical wiring etc. So don't freak out if it doesn't just fall down.
- Be prepared to twerk your body in all sorts of positions to really get your head into the footwell. I had to pretty much dive in backwards at certain points. This must be how they train astronauts.
- Put some sort of padding over your door sill to avoid scratches. I changed into elastic waistband shorts after a zipper pocket in my shorts left a little scratch on the sill as I was twisting around in the footwell. Luckily, nothing too bad.
- When you get ready to remove the left-side pin from the glove box, be careful not to fling it into the oblivion of the center console. Id suggest doing the right side first to get a feel for it. It didn't feel like it would pop out in one go anyway. Pop it out a little ways, and then remove it with your hand. The pin works like the pin in a door hinge; you just get the driver head underneath it and pull it out.
- Remember, there are two rows of wires on the connector pin thing. One row goes 1 through 9, and the other side is labeled 11 through 18. There is a hole in the pin connector unit where slot 10 should be, so don't let that confuse your counting.
- Double check that the lighting actually works before putting everything back together. We would check again as well after any significant step in the reassembly. Maybe overly cautious, but we didn't want to have to take things apart again.

That's basically it.

Was it worth it? For the $100 I spent on the kit from eBay and the enjoyment of doing a little project with my dad, totally. Also, I feel like if I'm going to have this car 5-10+ years, the what's the biggie of a little time and money to bring the interior Spectrum lighting up to its full potential. This same reasoning kind of applies even if I had to spend the normal $180-200 for the kit.

I took some video that I will try and splice together as a rough walk through. Also, the video shows some of the results. Otherwise, feel free to ask me any installation questions you guys might have!
EarthToGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
DADBOD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Excellent job! Do you think the kit you bought outputs the same light quality as GM?
DADBOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:41 AM   #3
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
So as I contemplate doing this I started to think, why not add in 2 or 3 kits into the footwell? If they dropped the price down alittle bit I may try to do that. You could install one top, and one on each side. The other option is to find how they are transferring the signal and go with a 1 foot RGB LED strip. It would be far cheaper and much brighter with better light disbursement. I want to do this next year but if someone figures out the signal thing, I would rather go that route. Thanks for the video, it was very informative.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 AM   #4
DADBOD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
So as I contemplate doing this I started to think, why not add in 2 or 3 kits into the footwell? If they dropped the price down alittle bit I may try to do that. You could install one top, and one on each side. The other option is to find how they are transferring the signal and go with a 1 foot RGB LED strip. It would be far cheaper and much brighter with better light disbursement. I want to do this next year but if someone figures out the signal thing, I would rather go that route. Thanks for the video, it was very informative.
As I was driving home from work tonight, I thought the same. Thinking of different locations to place leds that sync with the spectrum lighting. Of course I'd like it to look clean and not overdo it.

I was thinking of a low output led on the steering wheel, another on the side doors and somewhere on the rear.
DADBOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:59 AM   #5
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADBOD View Post
As I was driving home from work tonight, I thought the same. Thinking of different locations to place leds that sync with the spectrum lighting. Of course I'd like it to look clean and not overdo it.

I was thinking of a low output led on the steering wheel, another on the side doors and somewhere on the rear.
Love the rear idea. So what I have done in the past is install LED strips under the front seats, this gives the rear ambient foot well lighting. Again, if someone figures out the code on the output signal it would be fairly easy to get all of that hooked up. Could even have a hook up for the trunk in case you wanted to drop the back seat.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Does anyone have a copy of the Gen5DIY instructions?

Thanks

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Does anyone have a copy of the Gen5DIY instructions?

Thanks
Here you are.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Gen6footwelllights.pdf (1.74 MB, 383 views)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Here you are.
Thank you so much!

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Here you are.
Helpful as always, arpad! Thanks a lot!

Bought the kit last winter and I am too lazy to install it. Just need to get down to installing it now.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:13 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Helpful as always, arpad! Thanks a lot!

Bought the kit last winter and I am too lazy to install it. Just need to get down to installing it now.
You're welcome, happy to help.

Gather up some willpower and stamina, you'll spend some time head down and feet up in the passenger footwell finagling those ****** two rear bolts ... but it'll be worth it in the end.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:21 AM   #11
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
First of all my apologies for highjacking this thread, but I need some help on the following and I think I might be able to find it here.

I decided to use one of those band expanders/frequency shifters on my newly acquired ZL1 which was imported from the US, as most of the FM radio stations in the UK are on even decimal frequencies (.2, .4, .6, .8, .0). This frequency shifter plugs-in line between the aerial and the radio module and needs power. The radio module seems to be behind the glove box, as discribed above.

Does anyone know where I can find a switched power source in that area? Maybe I could tap into the red wire that goes on pin #2 of the lighting control module shown in step #10 in the above pdf (assuming that this wire is a source of switched power)?

Thank you in advance folks. I really appreciate any input and help provided.

Below the image of the frequency shifter:
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2021, 08:38 PM   #12
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Welp, I am attempting the installation of footwell lighting right now.

Have to go on a forced pause and shop because none of my tools can get the rear screw out. I don't know if this is changed on 2019+, but there is a big chunk of styrofoam that blocks my screwdriver or ratchet + 6" extension from removing the screw.

So make sure either your screwdriver isn't too long(no more than 5 inches), or use a ratchet wrench with a 2" - 3" extension bar(which I am going to have to buy). Just long enough so you can actually turn the wrench, but not too long so that it gets jammed by the styrofoam.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:48 AM   #13
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthToGreg View Post
- My car only had three screws on the underside piece of the glove box. Some have commented on there being four screws. Mine had three, but there was a weird empty hexagonal hole under there that had nothing in it. Maybe some folks have a screw in there?

- The underside of the glove compartment didn't drop down very far for us. Just enough to be able to maneuver the electrical wiring etc. So don't freak out if it doesn't just fall down.
There is definitely a 4th screw. This hexagonal thing you are referring to is not the place you should look for this screw. It is in fact located on the very far right corner of the passenger kick panel and is even more difficult to reach than the left one. This is the reason why the kick panel didn't drop down too far for you. If you had removed that screw, the panel would have dropped further down.

The first photo is the hexagonal thing you described. The second in the far right screw you missed
Attached Images

Last edited by MakCamaro; 06-19-2021 at 10:38 AM.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote