Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
UPDATE: Need help with paint damage

On both sides of the car, I have paint chipped off of the rear quarter panel in the area shown.
I was recently rear-ended (low speed, probably 2-3 mph) and Geico replaced the bumper. They are saying the chipped paint can't be because of the accident and suggest it is a manufacturer defect that Chevy should fix.
Has anyone experienced paint damage like this? I'm about to call my insurance company and tell them Geico is jerking my chain, but I'm holding off for the moment.
Attached Images

Last edited by Walkure; 06-25-2018 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Added new information
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Hard to tell in the pic, but I would get 2-3 different opinions from other body shops and then present them to Geico. You could also have their claims adjuster look at it first. If they say it's a production issue, then you could take that to GM, I know.... all this running around sucks! But worse case, that's not an expensive re-spray, you might just have it repaired on your dime and be done with all the back and forth BS!
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
If the chips were not there before but were after IMO it has to be crash related. Just on one side.... Might be different. But also I think this matter should have been settled before the bumper was replaced.
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
I wouldn't even worry about it. No one can see what you're talking about from the pics and that tells me we're probably talking about a pencil tip size chip. Seriously, you're going to go through all this for something that small and unnoticeable. To some things up: You're making a big deal out of nothing and people are starting to get tired of hearing it.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
Walkure

To provide additional information.

1. Geico did the repair and I didn't notice the chips until after I had the car home and was washing it. I'm 99% sure they weren't there before or I would have noticed them when I washed the car 2 days prior to the accident, but of course I can't prove it.

2. The chip on one side is about 1/8" x 3/8". The chip on the other side is 1/8" x 1". Paint, clearcoat, everything, gone exposing bare metal. I don't want the panels rusting out in a few years because this hasn't been resolved.

3. The picture I posted was from 6 months ago so there are no chips to see. The picture was just showing where the problem is. I'll take another picture that shows the actual chips and post later.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:54 PM   #6
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Dr. Colorchip or just a good old touch up paint pen (do NOT use the applicators that comes with it... use a tooth brush instead).

Trunk lid chipped off my paint and as a warranty fix they suggested painting the entire roof and taking off the rear window etc... I said no and just had them get me a touch up pen instead. Not flawless like paint but it covered up the chip...
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
Walkure

Here's a pic of the driver's side that shows exactly what I'm dealing with.
Not only is the paint chipped off, but it's cracked further along the seam and more will probably come off in the future.

Oh - and a correction. It's not the quarter panel that is chipped. It's the small panel behind the door, under the quarter panel.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
I would start with the shop that did the repair, if they believe it was accident related, they should talk to Geico on your behalf.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkure View Post
Here's a pic of the driver's side that shows exactly what I'm dealing with.
Not only is the paint chipped off, but it's cracked further along the seam and more will probably come off in the future.

Oh - and a correction. It's not the quarter panel that is chipped. It's the small panel behind the door, under the quarter panel.
That piece is part of the rocker panel cover made of plastic and it moves back and forth a little when you push it at the wheel opening area. No way possible to have damage that far forward from a minor rear bumper cover hit. The rear bumper cover energy absorbing material and the aluminum bumper reinforcement would have to be damaged to even consider damage further forward on the outside of the body.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
It's from the accident. Same thing happened to my Caddy and it only takes a slight jar to chip the paint. If they give you grief just get a paint pen and fix it yourself. I looks small enough no one would notice except you.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
It just looks like it was badly painted from factory... seems like that paint chip goes deep inside and towards the front of the car.

I'd check with the dealer.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #12
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
I was involved once in a low-speed accident that sounds a lot like what you experienced. Even though it appeared the only damage was to the bumper, the body shop couldn’t get the new bumper to fit and discovered the trunk floor was wrinkled under the spare and the rear suspension mounting points had shifted forward slightly. Including time on the frame straightener, the final cost for repair was something like 5 times the original estimate.

So, take it back to the body shop and have them look for concealed damage, other components that may have shifted and maybe a misalignment on the rear end. If what you’re seeing now wasn’t there before you got nailed, something’s wrong. At that low a speed, the bumper should have absorbed the impact or sacrificed itself - without transferring the forces of the crash that far forward.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #13
Hero_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2.0T RS
here's the thing man I strongly believe that your rear end could've caused more damage than there is already, the rear could've been misaligned so badly to the point that the plastic rocker moulding reached to the metallic finish but here is what doesn't make sense, those rocker mouldings come in black primer, metal exposure is pretty weird when sanding the mouldings down at say beyond its primer I believe you get plastic not a metallic finish.
Hero_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #14
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
It looks like that panel was resprayed red over silver. Perhaps those pieces were damaged on the lot before you bought it or maybe it happened at the body shop.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote