Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
May 18th from Nurburgring... Confirmed as written
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
We are hearing stuff from him like:

"Best high performance team in the business...this (ZL1) tore up the ring"

"5th Gen ZL1 owners, start saving up, cuz this thing is a beast"

"There are no words to describe what we will eventually share with everyone about the Camaro ZL1 performance, except Holy ________!!!!! ( fill in the blank here with appropriate expletive). Enjoy the torture of waiting. It will be worth it! I kid you not."

I don't see him saying this without the news being top 20 at Nurburgring. We expect it to do well, so why all the hype if it isn't something big.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

"There are no words to describe what we will eventually share with everyone about the Camaro ZL1 performance, except Holy ________!!!!! ( fill in the blank here with appropriate expletive). Enjoy the torture of waiting. It will be worth it! I kid you not."

I don't see him saying this without the news being top 20 at Nurburgring. We expect it to do well, so why all the hype if it isn't something big.
Well as much as I'm wanting it to be big news, it could be a marketing strategy (think psychological ops) to get us all hyped up about a product they want to sell.

I know it's going to be fast. I also know I'll be in the market for one next year. As much as I want it to be faster than xyz car, and I'm sure it'll hold up very well, I don't really care as much. This thing will definitely be wicked fast. It's not a car you'll be able to reach limits on every day roads. A track will really be (mostly) the only place you can actually push this car to it's limits, and I'm sure I'll reach MY limit much sooner than the limitations of this ZL1

I absolutely cannot wait to experience that.
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #18
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakaro68 View Post
Someone mentioned in another thread that the red Z/28 at the ring had ohio plates, is this correct? Al O. made it sound like the manufacturers 'rented' out the ring and so only professional drivers were out during that time. Can anyone shed light on this?
Al owns a red 2015 Z28 he drove to Camaro Fest in Bowling Green. I do not remember the type of plates on the car.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #19
fattyz28

Drives: 20 2SS 1LE
After looking at the lap times on the Nurburgring site, the new zl1 must have beat the zr1 making it the fastest Gm vehicle offered for the track. That would make me ecstatic if I was the chief. Just speculation on my part. Regardless of the time or real horsepower number, the car looks great. Kudos to the team that put it together.
fattyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakaro68 View Post
Well as much as I'm wanting it to be big news, it could be a marketing strategy (think psychological ops) to get us all hyped up about a product they want to sell.
Or he could just be really, really excited. I can imagine I would be excited if my team of people were putting in extra hours, improving the car as though it were a personal challenge, and if the car was getting faster, and faster, and faster! :happanim:

Al is not known to be tightly scripted.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #21
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Or he could just be really, really excited. I can imagine I would be excited if my team of people were putting in extra hours, improving the car as though it were a personal challenge, and if the car was getting faster, and faster, and faster! :happanim:

We should find out in 3...2...10...9...20...19...

Old 05-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #22
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

No kidding. The man is a jedi master, playing all sorts of mind games. He has had the experience to become one haha.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #23
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Those of us that are lucky enough to know Al, know that Al does NOT BS.

If Al says it, you can take it to the bank.

Al is a very down to earth guy and is a Camaro fanatic through and through.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #24
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

Eh...he's still a hype man trying to build excitement, and successfully doing so.

He also said that people would be "pleasantly surprised" about the 6th Gen prices, that didn't quite pan out.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #25
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Eh...he's still a hype man trying to build excitement, and successfully doing so.

He also said that people would be "pleasantly surprised" about the 6th Gen prices, that didn't quite pan out.
Debatable really, all up the interpretation personally. Considering it's better than an M4 which costs 80k loaded vs 50-51k.

Also people got spoiled with the prices of gen5's new and used. Dealerships doing massive incentives, the used market for it, even new ones are not new as in, gen6 is out which is the real new car etc.

Does AO get the hype built up a bit? Of course but it isn't unprecedented. Quality and performance facts do not lie.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

This is all very true.

Quote:

If he didn't hype, he wouldn't be representing the brand he's so enthusiastic about very well...and thus, not doing a good job as Chief Engineer and representative of the brand.

But he hasn't ever really hyped something that wasn't grounded in reality. People's relative opinion, notwithstanding.

That all said, the reason I said anything at all is because people like to interpret benign comments as some hidden gospel all the time, and apply their own opinions to it.

I don't think this is a good time to do that. All we know for a fact is....the ZL1 is GOOD. VERY GOOD. According to Al: "Holy ________"

Old 05-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #27
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
No kidding. The man is a jedi master, playing all sorts of mind games. He has had the experience to become one haha.
Trained him well I did

Last edited by OldJedi; 05-23-2016 at 10:33 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #28
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:

+1

It's like when Fbodfather promised a "big honkin V8" in '09 in the 5th gen when it was first being released, but then was only offered with the standard small block as expected.