Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #29

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
They all seem to be sealed nowadays....is that a fill hole, do you think, up at the top/midway down the casing?
I cannot tell a thing based on the picture to be honest. I have always been accustomed to keeping equipment in fine working order. Although technology has improved, it is my opinion (for what it's worth) that a drain/fill and tranny filter cleaning/replacement should be done every 50K miles or so to keep things in tip top shape. Regardless of what the manual says.

Get to 100K and you get the dealers asking for your wallet for major repairs/rebuild. I am kind of curious what happens inside these transmissions at about 125,000 miles! It can't be a pretty site. If we have anyone with true insight on this, please respond.

I have a sealed tran in a car I have now, and the manual says you never have to change it. But, that said, I don't believe it to be good. Maybe they think it's an ignored area the average Joe () doesn't care about. But we are not the average Joe now are we? Heck, we change the rear diff fluid at 1500 miles on the ZL1 (or 1LE or whatever the case may be) to prevent metal particles from invading bearings. It's not required or recommended in the manual. But we know it to be healthy for the longevity.

OK... enough on this subject. I am just one who will not drink the kool aid that these sealed trannys don't need regular maintenance. I do love the new transmission specs for sure. I will be on the early buy list for this car. It's a must have. The transmission is just part of the equation, but it sure is a trigger point for me along with the "Camaro vs. Everybody" mentality. I hope the figures live up to the hype.

Last edited by *007; 05-11-2016 at 08:54 PM.
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #30
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Yep, they said they had fully matched the PDK performance while not coming close to it with the A8, not even hitting in the same ballpark. There is no standard for shift speed time and they can claim whatever they want without it having any comparative value. It will have to be much better than the A8 to be playing in DCT territory let alone surpassing it. I'll believe it when I experience it and not before. Until then they've got too much bad transmission and false claims about those bad transmissions for me to take them at their word.

I'll still get the manual anyways but I hope they get this one right, its high time GMs muscle got the automatic option it deserves.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #31
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
ZL1 10 speed video with Aaron Link...

Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #32
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
ZL1 10 speed video with Aaron Link...

There is almost no drop off of rpms between shifts, amazing.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #33
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Amazing trans and a perfect fit in the ZL1. GM/Ford have done well with this in comparison to the rest of the top performance automakers.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #34
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Saw a thread over on the stang board and the Ford boys are already laying claim that this transmission is thanks to Ford.

It's so sad. Nobody really knows who has what into it, just that it's a joint venture. The grasping is real.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #35
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Saw a thread over on the stang board and the Ford boys are already laying claim that this transmission is thanks to Ford.

It's so sad. Nobody really knows who has what into it, just that it's a joint venture. The grasping is real.
what else is new? When the ZL1 whips on the GT350R they'll all be throwing that excuse around too.

I think its very cool that it was a joint venture. Both companies have a lot to offer each other. The GM/Ford rivalry is mainly a consumer rivalry. I mean obviously they're competing companies, but I doubt there's much hate between them.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
what else is new? When the ZL1 whips on the GT350R they'll all be throwing that excuse around too.

I think its very cool that it was a joint venture. Both companies have a lot to offer each other. The GM/Ford rivalry is mainly a consumer rivalry. I mean obviously they're competing companies, but I doubt there's much hate between them.
It's probably (my guess) like a pissing contest between friendly neighbors...

Old 05-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #37
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
There's a great deal of respect between the two companies. I talked to a group of Ford engineers once and they had nothing but good things to say about GM and GM vehicles.

Plus like others have pointed out, joint ventures/tech sharing is nothing new with GM/Ford. Hell there have been spy photos of camo'd F-150s leaving Milford Proving Grounds.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #38
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
It's probably (my guess) like a pissing contest between friendly neighbors...

I remember that, very cool. Seems to be a thing with a lot of companies. Audi did something similar when Porsche announced they were running in the 24Hr of Le Mans

Old 05-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #39
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
I read recently it costs alost 1 BILLION dollars to develop a new transmission. By doing a joint venture on the 10 & 9 speed GM and ford both have a spare $500,000,000 to throw at go-faster-bits
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #40
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't recall this being posted, yet...

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 9.51.35 AM.png
Views: 1219
Size:  74.4 KB
Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #41
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I don't recall this being posted, yet...

Attachment 794753
Someone needs to do their excel wizardry and get us the effective gearing chart with that info now.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #42
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Everyone poo-pooing how these transmissions don't do ultra-fast shifts all the time understand that this is 100% by design, right? That if GM wanted a transmission that shifted near instantaneously all the time they would have gone with a dual clutch automated manual. But instead, they soften things for every day driving because most people would rather have a smooth shift on their daily commute than a fast shift. When the car is being pushed, things are supposed to tighten up.

Drive softly/shift softly
Drive hard/shift hard

Or am I missing something?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote