Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
ProCharger Fitment Feedback.

I have a 2016 SS A8 now with MSD ported manifold, AFE intake, Flex fuel tune, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, and some suspension, and tires changes.

I am contemplating getting a ProCharger P1SC with Stage 2 intercooler and race valve. I have installed 2 ProCharger kits on 2 6th gen Mustangs. The fit was okay, not perfect.

I am curious how the fitment is with the 2016+ Camaro kit. It looks like the silicone one piece intercooler outlet tube goes underneath the driver headlight. There is a flat in the tube. How is the fitment under the headlight. Do you have to push down on the headlight to get the bolts back installed. Does the headlight actually rest up against the flat on the tube? Or is there a small clearance between them?

Any other less than perfect fitment issue?

Please, only people with first hand experience give feedback. Looks like a lot of self installs so I would think there should be some good feedback?

Also, has anyone tried the ProCharger base kit with headers? Or MSD manifold?

Thx

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I think overall the fitment is very good! There are a few areas that I think can use a bit of refinement. That's mostly with the stage 2 IC. It's extremely tight and i ended up having to make more adjustments than I was hoping just to get to a point where I wouldn't have any issues down the road. Here's my install with the pictures. But overall very happy.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491390
Old 08-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
I also think the fitment was good. I changed things according to their instructions and had no issues getting the car back together. I would say though if your going to do it I would at least upgrade to the P1X. Tear down when the order says out for delivery and you and a couple friends could have it running that night.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
When you decide to order the P1, just make sure your headers are ceramic coated and/or wrapped or you will melt PC related parts, can include the head unit itself and don't over-tighten the belts. Another thing to note is that I have confirmed by 3 others that the intake filter can/does get crushed by the hood slightly.

I also did hear (could easily be a rumor) that PC is/did revise some connections to fix such said issues but I haven't confirmed it with PC.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

So the fitment of the Stg 2 intercooler is very tight. That doesnt sound good. That stuff drives me crazy.

What parts of the directions did you guys do differently?

I do not plan to pull the headers off the car. And they arent coated, so if thats a big problem, then the procharger is out.

It would be nice to verify that they changed or modified some parts based on customer fitment feedback. I hope thats true. But changing a design could be admittance that something is not exactly right. So sometimes that doesnt get publicly announced.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
I installed a P1SC1 with race intercooler and race bov. It was tight but fit good. No complications thus far. Does not touch my headlight, and I think the tubes may be even slightly larger with the race IC. Could be wrong on that but seems that's way.
Eyefixstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
So the fitment of the Stg 2 intercooler is very tight. That doesnt sound good. That stuff drives me crazy.

What parts of the directions did you guys do differently?

I do not plan to pull the headers off the car. And they arent coated, so if thats a big problem, then the procharger is out.

It would be nice to verify that they changed or modified some parts based on customer fitment feedback. I hope thats true. But changing a design could be admittance that something is not exactly right. So sometimes that doesnt get publicly announced.
I completely understand. Them not announcing changes/alterations publicly can be considered normal, some might not. I would personally would like to get a conformation for it, till then my choice will be a Maggy even though PC kit... Let's just say I can get it for almost half the price installed vs a Maggy.

Fitment being tight is a good thing. At least it's tight enough that it doesn't need any modifications and no wiggling and just a good perfect snug fit which is what you want from aftermarket parts.

As for the headers, it really is a rule of thumb to get them coated and wrapped with or without boost. Heat = enemy of power. I've always rocked coated headers and downpipes as long as I can remember, even if it is a stock manifold that is ported. It will always be coated and even wrapped (depending on the vehicle, boosted vehicle = runs hotter so coated AND wrapped. No boost = at least coated and if it is a stock part, you can still use a heatshield on top of it). Costs a whole 100-200 bucks to get em coated and worth every dime. PC unit literally sits by the headers. Aftermarket headers = crap load more heat than stock (can't even use stock heat shield on it) thus will melt stuff. It has even happened to at least 1 person on the forum and another person that I know.

Do keep in mind that I have NOTHING against PC. I think they make great kits, relatively cheaper and can be installed yourself. Plus going back to stock if needed is so much easier. Also the power curve dedicated more to top end = less traction issues than a roots system since those give massive power down low. If I had a c7, I wouldn't hesitate on a PC kit.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
I installed a P1SC1 with race intercooler and race bov. It was tight but fit good. No complications thus far. Does not touch my headlight, and I think the tubes may be even slightly larger with the race IC. Could be wrong on that but seems that's way.
Ya, the race tubes are metal... and come through a different way.
(Which requires the drivers side Aux cooler to be removed)
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
Eyefixstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
Ya, the race tubes are metal... and come through a different way.
(Which requires the drivers side Aux cooler to be removed)
Yes I noticed the metal tubes. The modifications required were still way easier than I would have thought. Or maybe I'm just good.
Eyefixstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Fitment is fine, just don't go with the instructions to the T... Use your better judgement. Adjust the rubber tubes accordingly. My build thread mentions a few points of concern, once they're addressed its perfect.

If you go with anything above a 4.0 pulley (like with a D1 pushing between 9.5-10psi) then I would be mindful of your hood insulation or just go with a slightly taller hood.

My 4.25 pulley took a nice bite out of my hood insulation but I do not see any damage on my pulley at all so no contact i believe.

Stage 2 intercooler, because why the heck not, make sure to keep an eye on your space between the AC lines and your crash bar. Most have put spacers here.

Also if you don't get the race bypass, mount your standard bypass valve somehow. We used a series of zip ties at first then made a small custom bracket. Otherwise is flops around like a flacid dick. No joke. Looks stupid with the bumper off, would likely smack things around as it surges.

Otherwise, not a single problem yet.
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #11
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

How is the low end power?

If you part throttle the car does it run smooth and pull hard. I know it pulls on the top end.

My car on E85 has a ton of low end. With the Procharger is the torque improved under 3500 rpm, the same, or less due to additional load of driving the blower?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #12
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
How is the low end power?

If you part throttle the car does it run smooth and pull hard. I know it pulls on the top end.

My car on E85 has a ton of low end. With the Procharger is the torque improved under 3500 rpm, the same, or less due to additional load of driving the blower?
To me it's pretty much the same as it was under 3-3500 rpm. Above that it pulls very hard.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #13
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Do you have a pic of your dyno graph you can post?

Old 09-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
Eyefixstuff

It's about the same under 3k. With a good custom tune though it feels like it has even more
Low end than it did before. I could be wrong, it just feels that way to me. But it's very very smooth and driveable under 3k just as it was before. After that it pulls very hard. First gear is pretty useless if you're on the throttle hard.