Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
WarlockCamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Lightbulb COMMUNITY BACKED 7TH GEN CAMARO CONCEPT

Hello Everyone!

Recently "trusted" sources claim that GM will put the Camaro on ice after 2024-2025, but fortunately those are just rumors. I hope GM goes for a Gen 7 Camaro and in any-case if they do pull it off I sure hope it looks good, but for now we do not know. I really want a new Camaro and we all know GM and Chevy look into these forums for information on what we want, so I say let's give them what they want. This thread is made so that we the community can speculate and discuss what we would want in the next gen Camaro. I for one think it would be a great idea to not only discuss, but to also create, innovate and be creative by creating, drawing, concepts that everyone can observe and talk about, talking is one thing, but observing something tangible and realistic will be better in my opinion.

I am a college student currently studying towards a masters in Automotive Aerodynamics, I also have a bachelors in Art and have graduated Elementary Art School two times two years in a row. Apologies for the academic flex there, but I just wanted to give some back-round. Either way I alone could draw up a mock-up , but I think that will be a bad idea without first getting your opinions and hey if anyone else is a Artist and can draw then please feel free to collaborate with me, but you don't need to be a great artist to do this sort of stuff anyone can do it.

I am currently working on a mock-up now, and mine is a little bit crazy, but I think you guys might like it. It's a mid-engine all electric Camaro and the body is based off the ZL1. Anyway lets get this thread started! post your opinions and ideas!
WarlockCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
Hock23

Drives: Black 2016 RS
I'll chime in here on what it needs. It needs to look like a muscle car and not a sports car. It needs styling that sets it apart but not alienate it. It's going to have to appeal to the enthusiast who are passionate Camaro lovers and the Gen Zers who don't care about its history but want an awesome looking car. You can obviously have different appearance packages based on model but the higher the model, the more aggressive it needs to look IMO. We dont need lets say the RS looking meaner and more intimidating than the SS. No vents or scoops on the sides. Its time to depart from the Gen 1 retro styling. If they want to stick with retro styling, then retro the look of the early 70's split bumper cars, they were gorgeous.
Hock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Hock23

Drives: Black 2016 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Oh God no.
I take it you didnt really fancy the 70-73? lol
Hock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
The thing is '70s retro is hot in everything industrial design now.
And '70-73 fbodies are very popular now . . .
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I am not a designer and I thought the Gen 5 & especially 6 were the best Camaro's ever. But the one thing I know is going back to a retro design would be a mistake.....
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Gen 7, should be 100% ELECTRIC.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
WarlockCamaro

Okay first I'm working on pieces that bring life into the car and pieces that make the Camaro what it is known for. Right now I am working on the headlights and then the grill and front bumper. I have shifted towards the front engine now, but I still would want it to be a EV. I also still have not done the overall body design yet, but it will be different.

Also the mid-engine design is still up in the air and I have drawn the body lining and it looks great!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Absolutely no retro looks is important . The early second gen Camaros were called the first generation of American GT cars by magazines back when they first came out . The designers of the second gen Camaro pulled inspiration from Ferrari and other Euro cars . The 7th gen needs to put to rest the whole Camaro is a muscle car crap for good . So before you look at older Camaros for inspiration look at Ferrari and the new C8 and what makes them so easy on the eyes.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #9
WarlockCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Absolutely no retro looks is important . The early second gen Camaros were called the first generation of American GT cars by magazines back when they first came out . The designers of the second gen Camaro pulled inspiration from Ferrari and other Euro cars . The 7th gen needs to put to rest the whole Camaro is a muscle car crap for good . So before you look at older Camaros for inspiration look at Ferrari and the new C8 and what makes them so easy on the eyes.
I agree completely, but from what I have learned is that people get attached to their old possessions, but whenever a newer version comes out and it looks completely different it'll make them not want it because that means they need to get use to the new one which to some is a hassle. Same goes with looks, the C8 to some older people who drove old vette's won't like the new one. It would be easier if they are reminded if the old version of that product if it looked slightly the same, in turn making them want to by it.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlockCamaro View Post
I agree completely, but from what I have learned is that people get attached to their old possessions, but whenever a newer version comes out and it looks completely different it'll make them not want it because that means they need to get use to the new one which to some is a hassle. Same goes with looks, the C8 to some older people who drove old vette's won't like the new one. It would be easier if they are reminded if the old version of that product if it looked slightly the same, in turn making them want to by it.
There is truth in what you are saying but it didn't hold true for the 6th gen Camaro at all . If Chevy used the same formula they are using for the C8 for the next gen Camaro they will have a hit , and totally without the use of retro designing . You can look at a C8 and see a Corvette but because Camaro went retro we don't know what a modern Camaro would look like so where do you start . A all new Camaro look is needed ,yet must be a Camaro .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #11
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Although i haven't been in the original camaro, it looks in pictures to have a more usable back seat and more outward visibility. I'd be more happy if they made it retro in that way....LOL

My wish is for a 7th gen to be more in proportion to the current BMW M2. So, a more usable back seat, better visibility, and smaller in size. Yet, still be as track focused as the current generation!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
If you want a new EV similar to the Camaro, go for it. If it doesn't have a V8 option, I'm not even remotely interested.

Camaro's have always been primarily V8 cars. The 1967 MY was the ONLY Chevy vehicle to get the new 350 small block. Even the Corvette was stuck with a 327 SBC that year. To not have a V8 RWD available is sacrilegious IMO. I'd rather have the nameplate die.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If you limit the improvements to versatility (vision, back seat, trunk space, ingress/egress) the very best you can hope for is to become number one in a shrinking (dying?) segment.

GM needed 2 plants to build Camaro/Firebird back in the day but like station wagons coupes are no longer popular.

So your choice is to make a better coupe (my stated hope for Gen6) or you can create a vehicle that does something that will make people want to buy one more than an SUV. And if you can figure out what that is you are the greatest genius to ever post on Camaro5/6.

Good luck.......but I’d still settle for a better coupe.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I really like this honda concept for an EV sports car. This is the direction they need to take the Camaro. In fact I believe Honda is heavily borrowing from early muscle car styling to make this concept look good. Make it a bit larger, with a bit of Camaro DNA, and you would have a killer product.

The 7th gen camaro will ride on a new platform that will be shared with a cadillac sports coupe, which most likely will launch several years ahead of the Camaro.
I'm not completely sold on the idea that it will be all electric. A lot can change in 5 years, and I think there will be a gas engine option. VSS-R chassis will be a gas engine platform, and may be modified to have an electric variant. There may not be a V8, but there will probably be a big 4 cylinder turbo like a 2.7.

I don't think the Camaro will go full electric until Gen 8.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote