Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
fadkar

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Blind spots aren't real...

Hey friends,

Given that visibility is one of the biggest complaints against the Camaro, I thought that I'd share with you how to PROPERLY adjust your mirrors to eliminate blind spot. Blind spots occur only because most people adjust their mirrors incorrectly.

Check out this video below:

The demonstration of how it works at the end is super useful. It takes some practice to get the hang of but it's totally worth it!
Old 05-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Properly or not.. you can't minimize size of A-pillars, height of doors, the drooping roof line over the doors, length of hood, comically large rear quarter panels and their humps.

Add in some car seats, ZLE rear wing, back window may as well not exist.

And I daily it every day, so I know first hand each talking point.

By far worst is pulling up to something or parallel parking.. can't seee SHIT. Rear wheel i can tip mirror down more for, front end.. usually foot or more out as its hard to gauge direction of the barge head of windshield. Even $18,000 civic has side view CAMERAS!

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I missed a car yesterday in my Honda Pilot, pulling out of a driveway onto a road, there was a car on the opposite side of the road in another business's parking lot, doing the same thing. Car was solidly in my A-pillar.

But lots of people (most) don't know how to adjust mirrors. It's an epidemic. It makes me want to punch someone when I get back in my car after service or one of our fleet vehicles at work to see the mirrors cranked as far as they'll go towards the body.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
fadkar

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Properly or not.. you can't minimize size of A-pillars, height of doors, the drooping roof line over the doors, length of hood, comically large rear quarter panels and their humps.

Add in some car seats, ZLE rear wing, back window may as well not exist.

And I daily it every day, so I know first hand each talking point.

By far worst is pulling up to something or parallel parking.. can't seee SHIT. Rear wheel i can tip mirror down more for, front end.. usually foot or more out as its hard to gauge direction of the barge head of windshield. Even $18,000 civic has side view CAMERAS!
Totally agree with you there. Parking is a huge pain with this thing. I just thought I'd share a way to alleviate one aspect of the poor visibility. It's something I use in every car now and it makes a huge difference when driving.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:43 AM   #5
bob13bob

Drives: dodge grand caravan, acura rsx
The problem with this method is small sliver blindspots. If u live somewhere where biyclea and motorcycles split lanes, that's hard to deal with. I'mma put a convex mirror attachment on
bob13bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #6
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
regardless of the "proper" way to adjust mirrors, I can't do it. I have to have a point of reference or I'll spend the whole time second guessing where my mirrors are actually pointing.

having said that, I don't have any issues with blind spots. all I have to do is lean forward or to the side a bit, and I can see everywhere I need to. It's a non-issue for me
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
The biggest thing that worked for my 5' 9" body was not to have the seat bottomed out in height. I really don't have a problem with the visibility, kind of used to it and then having an awareness of your surroundings and avoiding certain angles of approach, I can't complain. One of those things though is having the side mirrors tilted out more than I have in other cars.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #8
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I'm not saying that the Camaro doesn't have limited visibility. I'm just saying it requires a bit more attention from the driver. Coming from the motorcycle world, being sure someone is not in your blind spot can be a life or death situation. I find myself appreciating the blind spot warning on the Camaro side mirrors. But I still don't make a move until I do a head turn and visual check.
Drive safe guys.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #9
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I run seat as far up as it will go giving myself finger or two off the "roof"

When I race, I have to lower the seat a bit for helmet clearance.

Would I trade it for better visibility car.. nope that blower whine n wall of torque are greeeaaattt.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I have had people tell about this issue for years. I have owned two Gen5's and now two Gen6 camaros. I dont DD mine, but I dont even notice a visibility issue. Of course when I park, I always back into a spot. And of course I park in the farthest emptiest place in the lot.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #11
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
With the mirrors properly adjusted to your body size and being a good driver, there is no blind spot per say.

Just learn to be some defensive driving and you don't have to worry at all.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
I have never understood how this is an issue. Just like everything else, visibility is in control of the driver, learn to use mirrors, use those ugly plastic blind spot mirrors if you need to. Most of the time it’s as easily as paying attention and looking!!!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #13
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
When parking it I find it difficult to judge the length of the hood, especially in the front right corner (opposite corner to the driver). It becomes easier with every time. But with rental cars or cars that are new to me I don't have this problem. Especially if any obstacles are in the way. I can compensate for this by paying attention and remembering obstacles as I drive near them. When I take a right or a left turn while in heavy traffic, I have to remember where the curbs are.

EDIT: When driving, I don't have any issues with visibility.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #14
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I've daily driven a gen6 for three years now. With the mirrors set, and the blind spot monitors as a safety net, I have no problem merging and weaving through heavy highway traffic. There are no rear viability issues ...at all.

Turning right in a tight parking lot is a problem. I can't judge where the front or rear tires are. The A pillar and high belt line are the culprits. I compensate by turning right wide.

Pulling forward into a parking spot that has a curb is also hard to judge. I back in.

So, 30,000 miles in a gen6. No curbed rims. No bumped front spliter. No near misses merging or changing lanes in heavy traffic.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote