Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-18-2023, 12:12 PM   #1
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Arrow What exhaust do you have and do you like it?

Hey Guys, Jason here with Phastek.

I wanted to get a fresh perspective on the exhaust you have and how you feel about it. On our store we offer a wide range of exhaust for the Camaro. The thing is, we know what we like, but we dont get enough information back from our customers on what they don't like or even if they like the exhaust they have. Grant it, we do get reviews on the exhaust product pages but not enough to really know. We also find that we carry some top shelf exhaust brands that most people flock to which is understandable, but what about those brands that are not top shelf that most people do not know about. Anyways, what I am getting to here is, I want to create a page for our website to help customers with their choice of exhaust. Now there are factors that play into this, like do you have a Camaro that only has the exhaust, do you have headers, a cam, etc. I know there are some exhaust that sound great as a direct bolt on, which that's how aftermarket exhaust are designed, but when you add other things like headers, cam that can change how you feel about the exhaust. So if you have time please respond with the exhaust you have. I think this will help people that are looking to get an exhaust for their Camaro.

Here are some Bullet Points to go off of
  • Submodel (2.0,V6, SS, ZL1) -
  • Brand of Exhaust -
  • Type (Axle or Cat Back) -
  • Pros -
  • Cons -
  • Do you like it or not -

NOTE: I know I am putting this in the General Discussions because I would like to hear from 2.0, V6, SS, ZL1 owners.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 05-18-2023, 12:43 PM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
On my ZL1 I like the stock NPP. I like the sound changes with the baffles. Quiet when I want, loud when I want

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:50 PM   #3
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Jason here,

Since I started the thread I could at least give my opinion since we have a 2016 Camaro 1SS. So here goes.

I am going to review 2 different exhaust since that is what we have personally had on our Camaro.

First Exhaust
  • Submodel (2.0,V6, SS, ZL1) - 1SS /AUTO
  • Brand of Exhaust - MBRP XP Series Race
  • Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Catback
  • Pros - Very Nicely Built, Drone seemed controlled before Headers
  • Cons - The system we have seemed to get a little surface rust by the welds, Built for an Auto SS
  • Do you like it or not - I do like it. Priced right, sounded great and deep sound before the headers. Wasnt to hard to install. I did run it on a Auto car, so i had a check engine light until we had it tuned once we added the headers. Now you can get the AWE Simulators for the Auto SS. Once I added headers it was really loud and aggressive. But overall a really great exhaust with or without headers.
Note: If you are installing on Auto SS you need to put the passenger pipe up to the factory pipe to know where to cut it on a Auto. Instructions were for a manual.

Current Exhaust
  • Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) - 1SS / AUTO
  • Brand of Exhaust - AWE Touring
  • Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Catback
  • Pros - 4.5" Tips, Fills in the Diffuser, Well Built
  • Cons - wish it came with simulators instead of having to order them separately.
  • Do you like it or not - I really like this exhaust, For our 1SS it did not have NPP, so it was good. We also installed this exhaust on our Camaro that already had headers. Cold Start is loud, but then it quiets down and has a great sound. The drone is not bad either.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:52 PM   #4
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I have the mbrp hemoltz chamber axel back and x pipe on my 21 v6. I like it much better than stock. Has some drone at 2 k rpm but the sound is worth it.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:19 PM   #5
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
I like the factory NPP setup on my ZL1. That said, I've been TRYING to get the Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back system with NPP since September of last year and it's never in stock. I don't know if they're discontinuing it or not. If they do, then I'll just keep my stock setup.

Last edited by NYTMARE23; 05-18-2023 at 03:52 PM.
NYTMARE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #6
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
On my ZL1 I like the stock NPP. I like the sound changes with the baffles. Quiet when I want, loud when I want
NPP for me too. Best sounding OEM exhaust I've ever had on a car. First car I've owned that I didn't want to put an aftermarket exhaust on. And I love that you can make it quiet if you want to.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:42 PM   #7
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
SS
Borla atak
Axle back
Pro- imo this is the best sounding axel back you can get on an ls/lt powered car. It is also what I would consider my ideal loudness.
Cons- the cold start is vicious. I wouldn’t own this exhaust if I had to start my car every morning. Price.
I love it.

I will say if I didn’t find exactly what I wanted on the used market, I would still have the stock exhaust or buy mbrp/awe. I don’t know when axel backs all of a sudden became 900+ dollars new and I personally can’t believe people actually pay that much for a part that adds exactly zero performance.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:53 PM   #8
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
AWE cat back Touring without resonators with Black Chrome tips and LOVE it!
No highway drone and down right Nasty when you floor it
Attached Images

Never been Dynoed

Last edited by FRANK121; 05-19-2023 at 03:37 PM.
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #9
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Submodel (2.0,V6, SS, ZL1) - V6 (previously owned 2016 RS)
Brand of Exhaust - stock non-NPP
Type (Axle or Cat Back) - n/a
Pros - reasonably aggressive for a stock exhaust, especially when it downshifted into the right RPM range on decel, but not too loud or attention getting (except for that one lady who caught up with me and shouted about it being too loud after I pulled away quickly in the lane next to her when the stoplight turned green)
Cons - just not a dual-exhaust V8 sound
Do you like it or not - I thought it sounded really good for what it was, but had considered upgrading to an MRT aftermarket system based on online videos. I ended up putting over 40K miles on the car and never changed out the factory exhaust - if I had really hated it, I would have upgraded.

Submodel (2.0,V6, SS, ZL1) - V6 (currently owned 2021 RS)
Brand of Exhaust - stock NPP
Type (Axle or Cat Back) - N/A
Pros - loud and aggressive, attention getting. Multiple personalities, although Sport is my default.
Cons - (1) no performance gains from this "performance" exhaust option, (2) same as above - as much as I like the LT trim, I'm not going to have my V8 dual exhaust note, (3) for my daily-driver use, sometimes it is good to be able to get on the throttle without being loud and attention getting (as I could with the non-NPP exhaust)... and even the Tour and Stealth modes don't help with how the NPP sounds (great, but loud) when you open things up. The non-NPP exhaust had a bit more of a "Q-ship" feel to it - not calling attention to how fast the car is. With the NPP, sometimes just moderately accelerating out of a corner downshifts into a lower gear and it sounds like I am really getting on it when I'm not. (4) Encourages tapping the throttle to activate the A10's performance shift mode when decelerating from about 40-50. Not great for mileage, but a very attention getting downshift exhaust note!
Do you like it or not - yes, except when it is attracting the wrong sort of attention

Last edited by The Maverick; 05-18-2023 at 04:46 PM.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:29 PM   #10
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Submodel (2.0,V6, SS, ZL1) - 2SS
Brand of Exhaust - Speed Engineering 2" Headers (cat delete) / 3" Speed Engineering X-Pipe (secondary cat delete)
Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Stock axle-back non NPP
Pros - Benchmarks show little variance between cheap headers vs expensive headers / x-pipe
Cons - Narrow exhaust clamps - Can cause vapor leaks / X-Pipe can be a chore to fit, but will fit
Do you like it or not - Yep, $2000 for kooks, no thanks, $600 for SE I'll take the good with the bad. Performance wise little if any difference.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:39 PM   #11
Judy1le

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Ill give it a go, but ill give the disclaimer that my car just got built and ive driven it ~30 min but can update as we get to know the car more.

Submodel- SS 1LE, Katech built 427
Brand of Exhaust - Stainless Works Legends series paired with Kooks 2in catted headers.
Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Catback
Pros - Very Nicely Built, beautiful craftsmanship, didn't experience drone at all when cruising low rpm, loud when you want, tame when and where you want it.
Cons - TBD
Do you like it or not - I love it. Its Fu** all loud when I want it to be but it was tame once engine warmed up. It also retains NPP function. Also has a nice deep tone to it without the raspy/tinny sound you can get from other brands. If it was enough to convince my builder to switch, then its the ultimate compliment lol.
Judy1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:57 PM   #12
1sickzl1

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6
Submodel (2.0,V6, SS, ZL1) - Zl1
Brand of Exhaust - AWE Touring Non-Resonated
Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Cat-back
Pros - Largest tips available for the Camaro with a diamond black tip option. Sounds absolutely insane at start up, and downshifts are amazing. Sounds like it should have from the factory. No drone. It's modular so you can add resonators later if you choose to. Enhances the stock pops and burbles.
Cons - No NPP
Do you like it or not - Absolutely love everything about it, just wish there was an NPP option.

RF intake, Soler TB & TC, ADM v2 reservoir, AWE Touring non-resonated catback exhaust.

535 whp, 537 tq. SAE Smoothing: 5. DynoJet.
No tune. 91 octane.
1sickzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:17 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I like the stock exhaust on my ZL1 but have been looking at the Stainless Works Legend Series cat back exhaust system but don’t want to spend the money to get it now.

Last edited by LT4Greg; 05-18-2023 at 05:49 PM.
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:23 PM   #14
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) - 21 ZL1 / AUTO
Brand of Exhaust - Borla ATAK
Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Catback
Pros - Well built, sounds great, looks good, no drone, works with NPP (if NPP version is selected).
Cons - Hard to get a perfect fit without any exhaust leakage.
Video:
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#exhaust #phastek