Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2024, 08:29 AM   #113
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
I hear you. When electric vehicles first got targeted, it was IMO a lot more about how expensive they were, jealousy, and people just being petty.

After right-wing media's relentless bashing of EVs over the years, I have a feeling most of the EV haters are "drill, baby drill" idiots who have been brainwashed by misinformation and nonsense from the very people who profit off their stupidity.

If one can imagine when cars were invented and just the play things of the ultra rich, you'd see the same nonsense from dimwits who have no clue, such as things said like below:

"Cars are too expensive. They'll never catch on. Nobody can afford them except the ultra rich."

"There's no infrastructure for cars. Roads are mostly dirt and gravel crap, and they get stuck in mud, where my horse can go anywhere. Paved roads are few and far between, and they'll never catch up to demand. My horse won't ever become obsolete and can take me anywhere. Screw cars."

"There's not enough gas stations, and the infrastructure will not support them. Horses are superior, and I'll never be caught driving a stupid car."

Etc, Etc. It was all nonsense then as it is now. We know who won the race. What I find most amusing about it is the people that hate electric vehicles and spout this same type of outlandish BS about EV vehicles today would rather make multi-billionaires out of people in the middle east and elsewhere, even in our own country, while they manipulate the prices to suit their needs and hold our economy by the balls.

It's mind boggling to me. But some people have dug in. But they will lose in the end.

All that said, I love my Camaro SS. I will enjoy it and drive it till the day I can't any longer or can't find gas for it. It's my daily driver now and about to be garaged for mods. I've also had countless hot rods over the years. I will miss newer gas V8 cars, but the writing is on the wall. That's progress.

But I'd love the day I could get an affordable, sporty looking EV, that I don't have to line big oil's pockets any longer. By then the range could be 2,000 miles or more on a charge. Who knows?
The hilarity of this post, is that believing 100% EV is just as low IQ as thinking petrol is the only future, and especially your reference as to who profits...have you looked at who controls 75% + of all EV battery production - little hint - CCP
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:54 AM   #114
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
LOL not even close. Mary has made GM consistently and HUGELY profitable. In my nearly 30 years there not many CEOs could say that.
Profitable heading towards a cliff. Take off your rose colored glasses - they’ve brainwashed you.

We’ll leave it at that. For both our sake.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:04 AM   #115
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
The hilarity of this post, is that believing 100% EV is just as low IQ as thinking petrol is the only future, and especially your reference as to who profits...have you looked at who controls 75% + of all EV battery production - little hint - CCP
No one gives a crap about where their iPhone battery comes from let alone the phone. Apple does as they are starting production in India but ONLY to mitigate risk in China. So I don't think they will for their car.

We are about a minute from BYD announcing a US plant. I believe they just announced in Mexico and Europe. And they have passed Tesla as the worlds largest (volume) EV manufacturer. And even then, we don't charge much for import taxes so maybe they just ship them from Mexico. And if you want to get really nervous, go out and find some reviews of their cars.

And the one thing Biden did was ensure if you want the $7,500 tax credit, batteries have to be made here.

But farrrr more concerning than battery production is pharmaceuticals. But that's for a different website.

Also, and maybe you didn't intend to, but calling the poster a "low IQ" for 100% EV isn't really necessary. Let try to keep Camaro5/6 more civil than the rest of the internet.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:39 AM   #116
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
I hear you. When electric vehicles first got targeted, it was IMO a lot more about how expensive they were, jealousy, and people just being petty.

After right-wing media's relentless bashing of EVs over the years, I have a feeling most of the EV haters are "drill, baby drill" idiots who have been brainwashed by misinformation and nonsense from the very people who profit off their stupidity.

"Idiots"

You were saying about keeping it civil?

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:45 AM   #117
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
No one gives a crap about where their iPhone battery comes from let alone the phone. Apple does as they are starting production in India but ONLY to mitigate risk in China. So I don't think they will for their car.

We are about a minute from BYD announcing a US plant. I believe they just announced in Mexico and Europe. And they have passed Tesla as the worlds largest (volume) EV manufacturer. And even then, we don't charge much for import taxes so maybe they just ship them from Mexico. And if you want to get really nervous, go out and find some reviews of their cars.

And the one thing Biden did was ensure if you want the $7,500 tax credit, batteries have to be made here.

But farrrr more concerning than battery production is pharmaceuticals. But that's for a different website.

Also, and maybe you didn't intend to, but calling the poster a "low IQ" for 100% EV isn't really necessary. Let try to keep Camaro5/6 more civil than the rest of the internet.
I give a crap about where. I gave up a life-long r/c car hobby because of where production was going. Not enough care for a better option to exist for phones. And worse, people will rationalize an acquiescence that is really a sell-out.

One can argue Mexico is a bigger problem, and the 'Old World's' energy problems aren't the same as ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Chick cars maybe, but the resemblance of the Model Y to the Azzzzztek is striking.

Learning the designer is a former Pontiac designer makes perfect sense now.
I think it's the same guy that designed the Solstice, probably more of the Lutz championed stuff. That era and earlier seemed to have a lot of directional choice turmoil, from how it's described here.

Quote:
LOL not even close. Mary has made GM consistently and HUGELY profitable. In my nearly 30 years there not many CEOs could say that.
I'm thinking Barra would be better if the board could be replaced. I'm thinking they're more responsible for squashing product champions for agendas or bean-counting.

GM is like a football team that wins 9 games every year because full size trucks are all-pro.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:52 AM   #118
Classic Muscle

Drives: 22 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Chick cars maybe, but the resemblance of the Model Y to the Azzzzztek is striking.

Learning the designer is a former Pontiac designer makes perfect sense now.
I think Teslas kinda resemble Saturns. Or what a Saturn would look like if they were still in production. Mostly because of the bubble roof profile.
Classic Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:37 PM   #119
NW-99SS

Quote:
How much some one "gives a crap", doesn't take away from the fact that championing EVs for all, is championing for CCP, whether naive or willfully ignorant.

I have no desire to live like a Chinese citizen, so yes, I GIVE A CRAP.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 01-25-2024, 12:43 PM   #120
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Camaro cost more than competition... i'm OK wit that, it WAS a better car.

I am not brand loyal, I buy on bang for the buck and in 2018, Camaro was king.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:21 PM   #121
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Quote:
Number 3 made a great post, but I'll reply as well.

My comparison was going from horse and buggy to automobiles over a period of years, or even decades possibly, and how many people are being lied to and scared into believing nonsense from the right-wing media who has a vested interest in big oil and misleading their audience.

And that's what you posted. I've seen that talking point before. In the short term where the batteries are made it makes sense, but in the long-run it's smoke and mirrors.

Surely you don't think the CCP once EVs become the norm will be the only producer of EV batteries for the world. That's not going to happen. Production will be moving here, provide thousands, if not millions of jobs, and not let our country be run by a gang of oil thugs who manipulate prices by "drill baby drill" or cutting production at their whim to line their pockets.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:30 PM   #122
NW-99SS

Quote:
Number 3 made a great post, but I'll reply as well.

My comparison was going from horse and buggy to automobiles over a period of years, or even decades possibly, and how many people are being lied to and scared into believing nonsense from the right-wing media who has a vested interest in big oil and misleading their audience.

And that's what you posted. I've seen that talking point before. In the short term where the batteries are made it makes sense, but in the long-run it's smoke and mirrors.

Surely you don't think the CCP once EVs become the norm will be the only producer of EV batteries for the world. That's not going to happen. Production will be moving here, provide thousands, if not millions of jobs, and not let our country be run by a gang of oil thugs who manipulate prices by "drill baby drill" or cutting production at their whim to line their pockets.
My statement is factual and accurate and in no way reflects any of the slanderous attributes you are attempting to place.

It's funny to see you make guesses regarding the future of EV production while ignoring the current reality of global production and material sourcing.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 01-25-2024, 03:43 PM   #123
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Quote:
My statement is factual and accurate and in no way reflects any of the slanderous attributes you are attempting to place.

It's funny to see you make guesses regarding the future of EV production while ignoring the current reality of global production and material sourcing.
Context is key, and I suggest you read my post again to catch its meaning. If you can't understand it, I can't help you. Reply away and have the last word. I have a strong feeling I know where you get your information from, and I know it's pointless to continue this further. Have at it.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 04:01 PM   #124
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
…..
There are layers to this. S. Korea is also a major, major player in the battery supply chain. S. Korea also has very friendly relationships and trade partner status with the US. When the IRA language on battery mineral and components sourcing and processing talks about free trade partners, that’s code for S. Korea and a handful of other countries that are involved in the battery supply chain.

LG Energy, Samsung SDI, and SK On are major battery suppliers based in S. Korea. All also have wholly owned or JV operations in the US.

CATL and BYD are the big dogs battery wise in China. Both are in the process of negotiating JVs with US automakers and/or battery manufacturers in order to produce batteries in the US and/or Mexico. Then there are homegrown battery manufacturers like Our Next Energy (ONE), A123, and (love ‘em or hate ‘em) Tesla. And there’s also a handful of startup battery companies on the horizon that stand to benefit from the provisions in the IRA that require US or friendly trade partner status to qualify for the incentive.

The layer that has yet to be unpeeled is that at the mineral processing and anode and cathode fabrication level, more capability and capacity has to be established outside of China. That is in process, but not readily available yet and is the reason why some of the vehicles that qualified for IRA in 2023 do not (yet) qualify in 2024. Because the % thresholds for minerals and components increased and OEMs have to work out their sourcing of minerals and components to regain qualification.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 06:38 PM   #125
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Having lived through the Roger B. years I say he is probably the most responsible for the malaise leading up to the fall. The guys between him and Waggoner (I've said enough about my love for him) were handed a steaming pile and did what they could. Thank heavens for trucks.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:16 PM   #126
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
How much some one "gives a crap", doesn't take away from the fact that championing EVs for all, is championing for CCP, whether naive or willfully ignorant.

I have no desire to live like a Chinese citizen, so yes, I GIVE A CRAP.
I care too, but it’s likely just you and me.