Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
KCelsius

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1SS 1LE
I've got a 2015 WRX that I'm selling and I've got a deposit in on a 1LE...currently waiting for the clear bra to be done before taking delivery.

I bought the WRX for the reasons most people do, practicality in having 4 doors and a real trunk and a little fun. But even with a stage 1 tune the car really just feels meh at the top when the turbo+torque really drops off. And to be honest, I maybe haul people in the back seats a couple times a year so a coupe should be fine...plus, now I'll just have a cheap daily for that kind of purpose. Hoping to take delivery next week!
KCelsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:59 PM   #16
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I had a 2004 WRX. It was fun, I did some engine mods and was running stage 2 with some decent gains. Lots of low-speed punch, which made the car a lot of fun.

Not so good was the handling, lots of body roll and massive under-steer (followed by snap-oversteer). That's just the nature of the engine placement. You can minimize it by increasing the limits with better suspension components, but it'll always be there IMO with that layout.

I got a C5 2010 Camaro SS to replace it, I upgraded the camaro with sways and some body reinforcements. It out-handled the WRX so much it was ridiculous. Even in the rain, the Camaro would run rings around the WRX handling wise, and of course a lot more top-end on the Camaro. When things got wintery...well, the Subaru wasn't all that great with performance tires, in fact, it was pretty crappy, not as crappy as a Camaro, but enough that it was still pretty bad. The disadvantage with the Camaro was power was a little less accessible. The WRX can get a drop on most anything with turbo and AWD, by the time you get to 60, it might be about even, but things will get illegal fast and you've already had your fun. That's the fun of the WRX, it's more punchy at lower speeds, you can feel that turbo kick in more and it launches the car more. That can be quite fun. In the Camaro, you got to rev up pretty high to get into the fun zone, and if you are in anything other than 2nd, the fun zone is also a highly illegal zone, in terms of speeds. It'll keep pulling, but you need a lot of desolate road and it's a pretty high risk. The WRX would get up to 140 without much trouble.

I have the Gen 6 SS 1LE now, it's fun as heck, but again, in a somewhat different way. The handling is far better of course, the chassis is just very very good. It still has the "accessibility" issue with the power IMO, it's not that it's bad, but if you live for stop-lights and on-ramps, you'd be pretty well served with the WRX. I definitely have a soft spot for the WRX, but Subaru has always been frustrating with their US market cars. I feel the STI should be pushing 400hp at least these days with the WRX around the 300 point, they should be putting wider rubber on both, they finally updated the turbo and gave the WRX a 6th gear, but that should have happened a long time ago. They are tremendously fun cars with their short gearing and turbo kick, but definitely in a different way than the Camaro.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #17
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
I have a 16 WRX Premium in my driveway that I planned to daily drive, with a camaro 2SS 1LE in the garage. I haven't driven the WRX since I bought the camaro, and I'll be putting it up for sale very soon to fund some winter wheels/tires instead. You'll never look back.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #18
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
My buddy has a new 18 WRX. Car drives nice! Good fuel economy, reminds me of my evo x a bit. Boy would he hate this thread though.... he keeps telling me he out handles my car and beats me at launch. I try not to say much, just point at 305 tires in the rear..
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
my camaro actually gets better gas millage then my wrx did, but it also gets a whole lot worst then the wrx when you pedal it. On long trips my wrx would get 26-27 mpg actual (computer would say 33) the camaro I get 31-32 mpg (computer is usually really close)
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I had at one point a 2016 WRX and my 2017 Camaro RS 2 LT. My Camaro 2LT V6 with automatic 8 was comparable to the WRX handling wise. The V6 Camaro weighs less than the SS's do and the front end is lighter and it handles a little crisper in my opinion- similar to the WRX. But I had wide tires on my Camaro- 275's front, 295's in back. My WRX was a gas mileage champ- I averaged over 33 and got near 40 on the highway. My 2LT averaged about 27 and I would get 33-35 on my back roads commute to work. You will get less with the SS.

Specific to your handling question, the WRX definitely feels much lighter and crisp versus an SS (I test drove a few SS's and RS's M/T). Although the SS is going to have a lot more raw power for sure. I found the v6 potent enough in my opinion for my driving- and a great balance between performance and gas mileage. If you want power, get the SS.

Not sure if you are buying new or used- I would recommend staying away from the A8, get manual transmission or if new 2019 get the 10 speed auto- it is supposed to be way better. I no longer have my Camaro RS due to too many problems with the A8 and it spent too much time at the dealer's getting flushes, new torque converter, etc.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #21
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Considering?? Whats to consider? A high top Rollerskate over a beautiful sculpted fine Automobile with history and heritage. Its no brainer.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #22
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
I had a new 16 WRX for about 9 months. Sold it and picked up a used 16 2SS w/MRC. Yes the WRX handled great but the Camero is at least as good (especially in Track mode). Also the WRX suspension is so stiff it beat me to death (the main reason I sold it), the Camero in Tour mode rides great (and once I dump the run-flat tires I am sure will ride and handle even better). The acceleration difference (even here in Colorado at 7000 ft elevation) of course is no contest and the shifters are like night and day. Also given that the WRX has only half the cylinders, one third the displacement and a little over half the HP the milage difference is only 2-3 mpg.

Get a Gen6 SS, you will love it. (At least until it starts snowing, the WRX is the perfect performance car for bad winters).

RH
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #23
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Considering?? Whats to consider? A high top Rollerskate over a beautiful sculpted fine Automobile with history and heritage. Its no brainer.
They look like a babies Hi-Top sneaker...with wheels.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #24
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
I actually have experience in this situation. I traded my 17 wrx for a 16 2SS. I went for a used 2SS over a 1LE because some of the creature comforts (heated wheel/seats, blindspot sensors, Mag ride) I was able to get it for $6000 more then my wrx was worth and the camaro is worth way more to me then that price difference.

As far as handling goes to me the wrx was a little funner in the twistys to me, but hear me out. I feel I was able to push the wrx really hard, where the camaro takes less effort to go the same speed and when you start to push it hard its easy to run out of talent. The camaro is way more car and its easy to go faster then you think you are going.

Also remember you dont have to have the 1LE to have a fun track day.
This is accurate. I went from a WRX > Golf R > ZL1. The AWD hatches are extremely easy to jump into and push to their limits.

The first week/month I got the ZL1 I definitely would have been faster in my old R around my local back roads. You would have to be a madman or very experienced with similar cars to just jump in a true RWD sports car and go balls out on a public road.

As you push it further though I find myself so amazed that the car just grips and goes. No understeer like I'm used to, the limits are significantly higher.

Vehicle size is a thing too. You'll get used to placing the bigger car and feeling how it reacts. The Golf R was much more of a precision instrument compared to either the WRX or the Camaro, but was very dull in comparison, just capable.

Get the 1LE, won't be disappointed.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #25
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
It may just be the quicker steering ratio that people are feeling, the limits for cornering and handling on the WRX are not in the same universe as a current SS or 1LE. The WRX/STI are fun cars, but they are not in the same league.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #26
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
I started out with a 2004 WRX I bought new in 2003. Grenaded the weak 5 speed twice until I spent $$$$ to get an RA gear set installed in it. Went Stage 2 and a Protune done at TopSpeed in Atlana and ended up with a whopping 245 WHP! Sold it a few years later and bought a 2008 STI Hatchback that was already Stage 2. Loved that car! Stock Turbo took a dump a few years later so I went bigger and better with an 18G, 1000cc Injectors and a custom E85 tune which got me 375WHP then it turned into an unreliable money pit so I repaired it and traded it in for a family car. Did the family car thing for 5 years and made the mistake of test driving a 1LE and I was hooked from that point on. 1LE was out of my price range so I got a great deal on a used 1SS and could not be happier!!! Takes too much time and money to get w WRX to stock SS power! Good luck with your decision! have fun!
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #27
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
It's a matter of very simple science- power to weight. WRX is a lot lighter and could be more "fun" and feel more balanced on very twisty roads but as already stated the WRX will need to be pushed very hard or near its limits to do what the SS would easily do on a track or more open road.

To me, the most "fun" cars have not necessarily been the fastest or most powerful- they have been the lightest ones. My 2016 Miata ND by far was the most fun in the twisites yet 0-60 in a slowish 5.9 and only 160 HP. But the light weight made it fun and it was able to change speeds so quickly- like a motorcycle. But on a pure straight away or track with a long banking curve it would be eaten up by anything more powerful.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #28
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Looked at a bunch of cars before I bought my 2SS. WRX, Civic Type R, Mustang then Camaro. WRX was perhaps the worst of the bunch. It didn't stand out in anything actually and the throttle response was very un-linear. I guess I could have gotten used to it but it was annoying.

I went in with an open mind and if I thought anything was better then the Camaro then I would have bought it but ended up with the Camaro.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote