Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Summer/Winter Resale Value

This is my first Camaro and I’m not super experienced with the car sales market in cold weather/northern states (I’m in Colorado). If one were to sell/trade their Camaro, is it better to wait for the non-winter months? If so, what kind of variances should I expect?
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
There are a ton of factors that go into this; anyone on here would be able to provide nothing more than an educated guess, or a blatant opinion. The weather (aka time of year) CAN make the numbers vary, and it CAN do nothing at all.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
There are a ton of factors that go into this; anyone on here would be able to provide nothing more than an educated guess, or a blatant opinion. The weather (aka time of year) CAN make the numbers vary, and it CAN do nothing at all.
Some guidance is better than none. Like I said, I have no experience in winter markets. Spent 15 years in Florida and sports cars sold for basically the same year round.
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by delthawk5 View Post
Some guidance is better than none. Like I said, I have no experience in winter markets. Spent 15 years in Florida and sports cars sold for basically the same year round.
Definitely. Yeah, it really does depend. I often shop across the country for purchases... and I've sold/traded vehicles in the winter, and other times of the year. It really does depend on the situation & deal. In general, there is a slight disadvantage of trying to get out of a sports car in the winter, but it is not a guaranteed "you have a bad hand". The same can be said for selling a boat in the winter or a sled in the summer.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Living in WI my entire life I've never tried to sell a sports car or motorcycle during the winter. I always wait until at least March. It seems to me that people around here start to think about these types of purchases as the weather warms up. Just my $.02
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I bought mine used in Salt Lake City, at the beginning of Dec 2019. Was on a mom & pop type lot. I lowballed from their asking because I had to ship it to MI, and they accepted because (salesman flat out told me) "there isn't much of market for convertibles here right now, and we don't want to sit on it all winter, so yeah, we'll take that"
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
anyone on here would be able to provide nothing more than an educated guess, or a blatant opinion.
Hmm.

We could also post articles that directly address the OP's question based on discussions with industry experts:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ehicles-2020-4
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #8
Ron2ss

Drives: 2020 2ss vert
Quote:
This is my first Camaro and I’m not super experienced with the car sales market in cold weather/northern states (I’m in Colorado). If one were to sell/trade their Camaro, is it better to wait for the non-winter months? If so, what kind of variances should I expect?
I can't/won't attempt to address market value relating to the time of the year, however here in northern NY there is little interest in sports cars, boats and the like during the dead of winter. As spring approaches, the interest grows and more people begin to search. That being the case, it just MAY be possible to sell for a higher price with more people in the market.
Ron2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I've been told by dealers in May that it's late in the season. Gonna be hard to move that this time of year. Everyone's looking for SUVs right now. Can only give you this much. Blah, blah, blah

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #10
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Historically, sept thru oct seem to be a good time to grab a deal, since the new model year is coming into the lots and the ones that have remained on the lots unsold for months need to go quickly.

This situation is currently irrelevant because the pandemic has halted production, but during normal times, I have found the above to stand true year after year.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #11
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
regardless of season, used car prices are up now because of low inventory and especially due to low 2020 production numbers. So now would be a good time to sell regardless of the time of year. If that was the reason behind the question. If you aren't selling it - well then that doesn't really matter very much now does it?
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #12
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
I bought our SS vert on the last day of 2020. Actually finalized the deal Jan. 2...
I bought a convertible in winter.... a 2020 model when the 2021's were parked next to it.
I bought a V-8 built in July of 2020 which put it in the possible non hardened valve spring build dates...
I paid $46,000.00 for a car with a $53,000.00 sticker price.
All those potential downsides contributed to a pretty good deal.
I dont usually but, I bought warrantee out to 8 years 100,000 miles so if my window pops out of the top I have help and Im only at 500 miles now but Im thinking once I get past 1,000 I can begin to worry less about valve springs. But if I have a problem Ill have to break my rule of never going to the dealer and have them fix it.
But... all that said.... Since the car was still on the lot since July or August... They didnt sell it then either...
I wonder how many buyers they turned away who would have signed for thousands more than I paid???
The best thing is to never go in needing a car or looking at something you want so bad you are susceptible to getting screwed over.
Spend a long time shopping. Use one dealers deal against the others. And dont be afraid to order either. You can bargain one dealer against the other on an order as well.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:25 AM   #13
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Summer/Winter Resale Value

I used to sell cars and yes it does make a difference but i dont think it really matters.

Sports cars and convertibles traded in in the winter tend to not sell till spring/summer. Dealers know this and your trade in will depreciate while sitting on the lot.

The will offer what they think it will be worth in the months it will sell. If you wait and trade it in in the spring you will get that amount less the depreciation for the miles you added. So you may get even less. Just know that you may not get full book in winter.

If getting new i recommend waiting if theirs a used your looking at jump on it.

If buying a sports car in an area with bad weather buy in November or December. They’ll be more aggressive to move it as they don’t want it to depreciate another 3-5 months sitting on the lot. This is if it is used.

New i just say get it when you want it. Some will wait for year end deals when new ones are coming out but unless your gonna keep it past pay off not worth it.

If you buy a 2020 and 2021 are out or will be in in a month your car is a year old with low miles once you drive it off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:43 AM   #14
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Living in WI my entire life I've never tried to sell a sports car or motorcycle during the winter. I always wait until at least March. It seems to me that people around here start to think about these types of purchases as the weather warms up. Just my $.02

Pretty much the same thing in North East Ohio also