#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #43
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post
What do you mean by numb? like not very rowdy? too smooth to feel fast?
I haven't driven one, but the Throttle House video says numb, light steering with no feedback, bounces 1 too many times over bumps; and they said it feels too insulated from the road. I got the impression from the video the car is very, very capable, but the electronic nannies do a lot of the work for you, and you don't get feedback from the steering so they couldn't feel what the front end was doing.

I don't know, though, I'd have to drive one to decide. The guy saying all that stuff is a track instructor that drives an old-ish M3 so he's probably spoiled with steering feel and wants more of a driver's car than a highly capable but somewhat insulated car that does things for you.

Throttle House M5 Competition Review

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:53 PM   #44
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
As I stated, Audi and Mercedes doesn’t due to German law. Couldn’t get it on mine (both 2018s) and was told by dealers that it’s against the law in Germany. I have no idea what BMW is doing. Maybe they are assembling in US? Maybe only sell in US cars? Maybe added aftermarket? Maybe they don’t care? IDK
Moreover, my point was that I haven’t really found Euro interiors and “bells and whistles” to be any better than the ZL1s.
About the ZL1 interior, I love mine but it uses a lot of hard and somewhat cheap plastic in key places where the well optioned BMW, Audi, MB, Lexus and even my 2020 Acura MDX do not.

These other brands use a lot of soft contact, squishy surfaces, real aluminum, wood, carbon fiber or leather which are nice to the touch or if you bump into it, and it also deadens noise, vibration and squeaks better.

I'm very happy with the interior of my ZLE, but it's not like that. Still, without the nicer interior and softer quality surfaces, mine does not have rattle or buzz issues, it seems very solid and well assembled even after 2 years on rough roads and tracks with DSSVs. I'm impressed.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #45
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
10 psi was the standard and now it’s double that. Could it be technological advances.
It's primarily driven by fuel economy requirements.

European manufacturers keep trying to squeeze more power out of smaller displacement engines, hence more boost. However, with more boost comes more blowby and stress on the engine. We simply haven't seen enough of these engines get past 100k miles, but they will lose compression faster if driven hard, there is no free lunch

Even a Honda Accord runs 20 psi now, but I will say their 2.0L has ingenious baffle system built into the head that keeps blowby out of the intake (even though it gets recycled to the crankcase and still degrades/dilutes the oil)
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #46
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
The point? Maybe some can afford it. And have family and different cars at the same time. These threads always turn into hate. Why can’t we all enjoy our love of speed. Man.

100 percent accurate. If I could own both I definitely would!
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:10 AM   #47
ZLE dude

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
[QUOTE=URBAN LEGEND;10957948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
The new M5 is awesome. The ZL1 is awesome. But they are 2 totally different cars in almost all ways possible.

So if that is the case I suggest your buddy go drive an Audi RS6 and report back. A shitton better than that M5 - well, IMHO

EDIT or an E63s for that matter.

EDIT EDIT - I say all this while spending some other rich dude's money

EDIT EDIT EDIT - ~11:30!
The new RS7 is fire too.
A CPO RS7 is what I'm shooting for on my next vehicle purchase. Those cars are beautiful and quick.
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
ZLE dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #48
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
Everyone I know that has had an M car has loved it, until the warranty ran out. Then you better bend over. Everyone of those owners were then tickled pink to get rid of it. Plus the depreciation hit on BMW can be >50% within the first 2-3 years of ownership. The ZL1 will hold its value, have fewer issues, easier to work on, and be a classic one day.

Regarding the price, it’s all a value proposition. The m5 is an incredible car. Taking a $50k bath after 2-3 years of ownership, no thanks. There’s kind of a certain price point for me, that I just won’t go there. I just don’t get rolling around in $100k+ cars, 200-300k ferraris, etc... just seems like a waste to me. I could afford it, but chose not to. I’d rather invest that money into something else. Maybe I’m just too poor to understand. Maybe if I had F you money, but I worked hard to be where I am to blow it like that.

Last edited by ponyboy96; 02-22-2021 at 02:35 PM.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #49
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
Everyone I know that has had an M car has loved it, until the warranty ran out. Then you better bend over.
Yep - it's a complex system and almost impossible to work on yourself. Even minor turbo related parts cost a fortune.

With that said, the BMW certified pre-owned program is pretty good.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #50
2018 ZL1 HBM
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Garnet Red Tintcoat
The M5 will beat the A10 to 60 (only) because of the AWD. Any kind of a roll race the A10 will pull on the M5. I have experienced this not only against an M5, but also against an M8. Roll races from 20, 30, 40, and beyond. The only time any of those BMW's will pull is off the line....This was all while my A10 was still stock....
2018 ZL1 HBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #51
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
Everyone I know that has had an M car has loved it, until the warranty ran out. Then you better bend over. Everyone of those owners were then tickled pink to get rid of it. Plus the depreciation hit on BMW can be >50% within the first 2-3 years of ownership. The ZL1 will hold its value, have fewer issues, easier to work on, and be a classic one day.

Regarding the price, it’s all a value proposition. The m5 is an incredible car. Taking a $50k bath after 2-3 years of ownership, no thanks. There’s kind of a certain price point for me, that I just won’t go there. I just don’t get rolling around in $100k+ cars, 200-300k ferraris, etc... just seems like a waste to me. I could afford it, but chose not to. I’d rather invest that money into something else. Maybe I’m just too poor to understand. Maybe if I had F you money, but I worked hard to be where I am to blow it like that.
Yep, 2 different (for the masses) kinds of people buying them and will not matter 1 crap about resale, they will move on to the next. And make more money than the most.

Chevy will not sway the masses of the Euro money spenders - no matter where they put the engine, how fast it is in a straight line or turning a corner.

is what it is.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #52
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 ZL1 HBM View Post
The M5 will beat the A10 to 60 (only) because of the AWD. Any kind of a roll race the A10 will pull on the M5. I have experienced this not only against an M5, but also against an M8. Roll races from 20, 30, 40, and beyond. The only time any of those BMW's will pull is off the line....This was all while my A10 was still stock....
This was also my experience, I ran one from about 30 and it was a close race (I was having some traction issues, this was before alignment) but I pulled about a half a car on him up to 85-90. He was one of those (rare) cool M drivers who gave me a thumbs up. Most of them are obnoxious and think their cars are made out of gold.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #53
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 ZL1 HBM View Post
And quarter mile. It’s a 10 second stock car. I have owned both. They feel super fast for anyone trying to run either one.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #54
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Yep, 2 different (for the masses) kinds of people buying them and will not matter 1 crap about resale, they will move on to the next. And make more money than the most.

Chevy will not sway the masses of the Euro money spenders - no matter where they put the engine, how fast it is in a straight line or turning a corner.

is what it is.

For some people it's imported or nothing.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #55
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:

is what it is.
not sure this is true.

With the ZL1, Chevy certainly found me as a first time buyer. I have owned 2e39 M5s, 2 E60 M5s, 1 M3, 1 335ci, 3 P cars and 2 Audi S4s prior. However, there is nothing else I would be rather driving right now on track other than my ZLE.

people convert when brand/product offerings evolve....
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #56
mosaic6

Drives: ZL1 1LE M6, Pontiac TransAm 400-T10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevezx900 View Post
That’s why I’m here today. Traded in my pristine v10 M5 for my 1LE.

All I had was exhaust intake and it was lowered. I loved that car and kept it immaculate.

But regular maintenance was expensive. $550 for an oil change at the dealership. Any additional repairs you needed a second mortgage.

I decided to go back to my roots and went back to Chevy.
Very similar story here: I'm a lifelong GM guy but my last car was an AMG Roadster that was really cool but nowhere even close to the phenomenal 1LE experience. I'd have to spend a cool $150K minimum with AMG to get anything that is even close to being competitive with the 1LE.
mosaic6 is offline   Reply With Quote