Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
ice_age_revenge

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
2016 ZL1??

I might be selling my 5th gen SS soon and I was wondering if anyone knew if there will be a ZL1 in the 6th gen?
ice_age_revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM hasn't said anything about there being a new ZL1, but its pretty much a given that there will be new high performance Camaros comming. That said, the chances are approximately 0 that there will be anything beyond the SS in the 2016 model year. My guess is that GM will add one high performance Camaro in the 2017 model year, then another in the 2018 model year. The ZL1 could be first, or it could be second (Z/28 would be the other one). Unless of course they roll the Z/28 & ZL1 up into one car, like they did with the Z06 & ZR1 Corvettes.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
^^ what he said. I too am waiting to see what they come out with on the LT4 side of things - but I don't expect to even be able to order one until late next year at the earliest.

The SS is very tempting - my issue is that I am buying my "dream car" - it will be a toy that I plan on keeping for...forever, not a DD - so I really don't know if leasing an SS until the ZL1 comes out is worth it, but it is very tempting.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Keep in mind that the 2016 MY will likely be a short run. It won't start until 4Q this year and my guess has cars to dealers at Turkey Day plus or minus a few weeks. Earlier would be real testament to GM and the development process. Keep in mind Prototype sighting to production has historically been about a year and half from both GM and Ford, both cars where people are regularly searching for the first camo covered prototypes. And for the Gen 6 that was late July, early August of last year.

So not likely we will see the LT4/LTX powered cars until 2017 MY.

You have to keep in mind we haven't even seen the convertible yet and my guess is that goes into production prior to the HiPo versions. Maybe even 2016 as we've also seen the convertible prototypes running around.

But GM can keep the 2016 Model as late as December 2016 too.

It is a ton of work to do the ZL1 and or Z/28 models. So it would be a shock to see both of them as early as the 2017 MY.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
ice_age_revenge

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
GM hasn't said anything about there being a new ZL1, but its pretty much a given that there will be new high performance Camaros comming. That said, the chances are approximately 0 that there will be anything beyond the SS in the 2016 model year. My guess is that GM will add one high performance Camaro in the 2017 model year, then another in the 2018 model year. The ZL1 could be first, or it could be second (Z/28 would be the other one). Unless of course they roll the Z/28 & ZL1 up into one car, like they did with the Z06 & ZR1 Corvettes.

Sounds like I will be placing an order for a 2015 ZL1 then
ice_age_revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_age_revenge View Post
Sounds like I will be placing an order for a 2015 ZL1 then
Better hurry, the order bank closes April 23, only seven weeks in the past.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
I am too waiting for the ZL1 or Z28 whatever it will be called. But looks like the earliest will be 2017 model or even 2018. Hopefully 2018 so I can save a little more money

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If that is the case, then they should bring out the Z/28 in the 2017 model year and call it the 50th anniversary Z. Then bring back the 50th anniversary ZL1 in the 2019 model year. In between, the 1LE could be the track capable version of the SS.

By that time, I'll be retired from the force and have my pick of fun.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
The problem I see is GM doesn't have a middle of the road engine platform for the Corvette ( or the Cadillac)

Currently its the LT1 or the LT4. So I see the next performance Camaro with a version of the LT4, then something like the 1LE with the LT1 with suspension upgrades and the ZL1 with the some version of the LT4.

We could see a nice surprise with the twin turbo V6 application in the 1LE type and save the LT4 for the ZL1 platform.

I wasn't impressed with the 2L turbo in the Cadillac. Its just a heavy under powered car.

Loved the interior though. The Camaro is going to be beautiful inside
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
The problem I see is GM doesn't have a middle of the road engine platform for the Corvette ( or the Cadillac)

Currently its the LT1 or the LT4. So I see the next performance Camaro with a version of the LT4, then something like the 1LE with the LT1 with suspension upgrades and the ZL1 with the some version of the LT4.

We could see a nice surprise with the twin turbo V6 application in the 1LE type and save the LT4 for the ZL1 platform.

I wasn't impressed with the 2L turbo in the Cadillac. Its just a heavy under powered car.

Loved the interior though. The Camaro is going to be beautiful inside
Where is everyone getting the idea that GM plans on turning the 1LE into its own seperate model, with unique engines & such? I've seen it multiple times where folks build out a crazy 1LE with all sorts of extra stuff piled on, turning it into a direct competitor to the GT350 ... and I can't for the life of me figure out where its all coming from. 1LE is the Camaro track pack option. Basic suspension upgrades, wider/stickier tires, better brakes, more aggressive gearing ... that kind of thing.

But besides that ... the LF4 seem like worse choice than the LT1 for a track-ready Camaro. Barely any more power than the LT1, more prone to heat soak, likely a good deal more expensive (and thats ignoring the regulatory costs of actually getting another engine into the Camaro), less midrage power/torque, heavier, higher CG. Its not that its a bad engine ... I just don't see it being worth the effort for a 1LE. Slap a cold air intake onto the LT1 and you get something that better in just about every way.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
LT4 for the ZL-1....It should be available sooner than later. I can't see why it would have to be put off for very long...All the parts and planning have been available and in the works for quite a while already....

The 1LE should also be available soon as well....and as an option package for the SS with the same LT1 engine...The big mystery is how much "above" the SS can they make it so that it's a desirable and different than a fully optioned SS....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:21 AM   #12
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
LT4 for the ZL-1....It should be available sooner than later. I can't see why it would have to be put off for very long...All the parts and planning have been available and in the works for quite a while already....

The 1LE should also be available soon as well....and as an option package for the SS with the same LT1 engine...The big mystery is how much "above" the SS can they make it so that it's a desirable and different than a fully optioned SS....
The engine has been ready for a while. But the camaro chassis hasn't . It's probably more about setting other things up to make it perform top notch. The chassis is alpha but it is 70 percent different/altered in the camaro.

They had a test car with an lt4 in it last summer according to my cousin who works for GM. I would say 2017. 2018 at the latest. The zl1 showed up 3rd model year last time.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Just to throw something completely different out there. How about resurrecting the Berlinetta? Give it all the available options and either the LF3 or LF4 engine. That way they could test the waters around a TTV6 as a higher-end trim.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #14
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Just to throw something completely different out there. How about resurrecting the Berlinetta? Give it all the available options and either the LF3 or LF4 engine. That way they could test the waters around a TTV6 as a higher-end trim.
Oooo! And they could bring back the Starship Camaro! With an all-digital interior it would look... Umm... It would look... Err... I suppose it would be exactly what we have today, wouldn't it?

Maybe they could use it as a platform for testing iPad-like head units (akin to the Tesla), but otherwise the concept of the Berlinetta as an American car with European sensibilities is as far behind us as the all-digital controls of the "Starship" Berlinetta.

I don't know what the licensing issues might be around it, but for testing performance options it might make more sense to resurrect the IROC. (Though personally I despised the IROC back in the day. That's just me though, and is mostly associated with the boxy look that I found unattractive.)