Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
SHRFT

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss 50 aniverssary vert
Trunk access with dead battery on 2017 convertible

We have 3 ways to get into the trunk, all require power. So how could I get into the trunk if I have a dead battery. The rear seats don't fold down on the 2017 convertible. The car can be energized by boost cables under the engine hood I know that, but what if that isn't an option.
SHRFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
The search button is your friend.......

just behind the drivers side rear seat there's a lock for a key, push the top of the seat down to expose it....

on your fob there's a key built into it, look for the release on the fob...
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Don't forget the extender!

Had the same question about my 2016 and winter storage. SHRFT answer is correct but he forgot to mention that the key is too short to reach the cylinder so you need to attach the extender which should be in your glove box to the key to reach the cylinder above the back passenger seat. All of this of course implies that you opened the driver's door using the key cylinder hidden in the driver's door handle. The cylinder is accessed by inserting the key into the small hole at the bottom of the plastic cover on the rear portion of the passenger door handle. Be careful not to scratch the paint and also be sure when reinstalling the plastic cover to insert the back end first, then pop on the front. I have a great story about seeing if I could actually open the trunk where the battery is located using the manual key: I scratched the paint on the plastic cover and reinstalled it incorrectly so it got stuck hanging loose on the door. I had to have the nice man at the dealer body shop remove the cover and then I bought touch up paint to fix the scratch. Best part of story is that young man then reinstalled the cover incorrectly just as I had and got it stuck again. He then had to have another fellow help him remove the door handle from the door. This procedure requires a magnetized screw driver and a steady hand to keep the screw from falling to the bottom of the door. So be careful and work slow.

Also unanswered is the question that started this crazy experience. If I removed the battery and locked the car for winter storage could I get back in the car? That is could I open the door with the manual key without breaking the indexed window on the driver's door which would not index downwards to allow the top of the window to clear the bottom of the convertible top(the window actually indexes up into a narrow slot when the door is closed) with no battery power???!!!!! Unable to answer this question I opted to use a battery tender for winter storage as this seamed smarter than leaving the window open. I would recommend the same to you unless someone tells us how to lower the window without battery power.

Any one else encounter this problem?
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
The extender in not for reach, it is for leverage on the key. Turn clockwise to open.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #5
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red

mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote