Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Tuner says dealer can't tell

I spoke with a local performance and tuning shop with 2 in-house dynos and they said that "I don't know of any dealership in town that can tell a car has our tune. They don't have our software and for all they know it is a OEM map." Now this goes against everything I have come to experience on the Harley side of things. So what makes this different, or is he just giving me a pitch?

They charge $50 for a base dyno run and $500 for dyno and tune. He said he would apply the $50 for the base dyno run towards the $500 dyno/tune (dropping D/T to $450). They also offer free installation on SW or Kooks exhaust setups as well as $100 off dyno and tune this month. Although he said they will honor that even if the special is running if mentioned.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that he highly recommended the Roto-Fab intake over the Cold Air Inductions. And on that note, he said that a tune is required after installing a Roto-Fab intake...another point I have heard wasn't the case prior.

What are your thoughts and experiences peeps???
Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Interesting the tuner said that.. who knows maybe he's right, maybe he has a tune that the dealer can't tell.. I'm not a GM engineer or a tuner so I can't flat out say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

In this case, you will never know unless something bad happens and GM engineers ask for your ECU. I have a close friend who used to work at Dodge and he told me they can def. see that your ECU has been flashed and that will more than likely void the powertrain warranty. It's your car, your money so your call.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it unless the tuner is going to help you pay for repairs (Which more than likely won't happen) if something were to go bad. I also wouldn't want GM warrantying anything that I did to void the warranty to begin with. My only mods are lowering springs and if shit hits the fan, I would pay for the repairs myself. Just my 2 cents.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
They can see the flash counter.
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
BowtieRocket

That's what I am thinking too. It's all stored on ecu memory. That's how I understand it anyway... Not ready to run out and tune the car, even though that would definitely make some power. Think I will install an intake and axle back and pay the $50 to see where it pops at. SW said that I could run an intake and their axle back comfortably without a tune. Don't have to coin on full header and exhaust system yet anyway...
Old 10-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
I spoke with a local performance and tuning shop with 2 in-house dynos and they said that "I don't know of any dealership in town that can tell a car has our tune. They don't have our software and for all they know it is a OEM map." Now this goes against everything I have come to experience on the Harley side of things. So what makes this different, or is he just giving me a pitch?

They charge $50 for a base dyno run and $500 for dyno and tune. He said he would apply the $50 for the base dyno run towards the $500 dyno/tune (dropping D/T to $450). They also offer free installation on SW or Kooks exhaust setups as well as $100 off dyno and tune this month. Although he said they will honor that even if the special is running if mentioned.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that he highly recommended the Roto-Fab intake over the Cold Air Inductions. And on that note, he said that a tune is required after installing a Roto-Fab intake...another point I have heard wasn't the case prior.

What are your thoughts and experiences peeps???
Rotofab does not skew the MAF so no tune is needed just because you installed it on the car.

Ask them what software they use. If it is EFI Live or HPT then they can't hide it.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I know they can, I have two buddy's that are GM techs. If you go in for a warranty issue, especially a major drive train issue they have to plug in and see if anything has been altered in the PCM. They do it everyday and sometimes it will cause your warranty to be voided. GM isn't the only manufacturer doing this either.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Get them to sign a contract saying they'll cover any repairs that results from a denied warranty claim due to a tune being detected.

If they're not willing to do that, then they're full of it.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
Lucely Engineered

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
If you alter anything in the ECM/BCM they can tell. Trust me
Old 10-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
GM should offer tuning packages like Ford does for the Mustang and Focus. If Ford can do it so can GM.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #10
TSloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucely Engineered View Post
If you alter anything in the ECM/BCM they can tell. Trust me
I'm guessing you are on the inside in some capacity.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #11
BowtieRocket

I figured he was full of it, IDK how they WOULDN'T be able to tell. Just thought I'd ask to see if I was missing something... Decided to put off all the exhaust, intake and tuning for now. Just gonna toss in a K&N and be done with it...
Old 10-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
Epx998
|Engineer|

My buddy is a director of vip sales for a dealer group where I live - he sells pretty much all manufactors, i'll ask him tomorrow - might be able to show me what they do to detect the tunes.
Epx998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epx998 View Post
My buddy is a director of vip sales for a dealer group where I live - he sells pretty much all manufactors, i'll ask him tomorrow - might be able to show me what they do to detect the tunes.
Cool beans, would love to confirm. But if you think about it, say if one of cylinders misfire and the engine goes boom. Dealer doesn't check or didn't find the tune but GM ask for the ECU/PCM/BCM, they find the tune and denies warranty work.

So it's usually a a higher up that's making the final call.. Same scenario say the dealer doesn't care about the tune but GM does and ask for the ECU or sends out a field engineer.

Most dealers will check for it before submitting it to GM anyways. Now, if you find a cool as dealer that covers you and didn't have to send anything to GM and gets the green light to do warranty work, you're golden. But what are the chances of that happening unless the Service manager/GM is your family or best friend lol
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #14
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
we've heard for years now that if you have an ENGINE failure GM will most definately request the ECU be sent in for analysis. for a transmission or rear end...who knows.
we have heard over and over, FORD and GM, will want the computer when a new engine is required. when the computer is sent in, they will know all. you're buddy at the dealer won't be able to help you.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote