Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #15
Jason18ZL1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I had MT Street S/S in 19s on my ZLE... 325s and they were SKETCH! The suspension is way too stiff for drag radials and the side wall bounces all over the place. I had one instance where the backend became so unhindged that I made an "unplanned" lane change...

Go 18s or not at all if you are considering MTs
ARH Ceramic Coated LTH 1 7/8" \ ATI 15% Lower \ RotoFab Big Gulp \ Katech 103mm TB \ Ported Blower \ DSX Fuel System \ Flex Fuel E85 \ Custom Cam \ Dual Springs \ Corsa Exhaust \ Prospeed Heat Exchanger \ Cordes Big3\ C&R Racing Radiator \ LS3 Stat housing \ 160* Thermostat \ NX Lid
Jason18ZL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #16
Ehuerta
USN VET

Drives: 2016 SS sedan, 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdemonzl1 View Post
I'm thinking on buying a set of drag radials for the occasional drag strip days. I wanted the Nittos NT05R since I had experience with them in my previous ZL1 (2013) but for the 19" wheels I'm limited to 345/30/19. Will it fit my ZLE? What other options you reccomend?

PS: The car is stock but I have performance parts ordered so it won't stay stock for long. I went to a roll racing event this past weekend and it lightened up the tires like nothing (currently on Michelin ps4)

Thanks!
I have the 345 on my stock wheels, they fit fine.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #17
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason18ZL1LE View Post
I had MT Street S/S in 19s on my ZLE... 325s and they were SKETCH! The suspension is way too stiff for drag radials and the side wall bounces all over the place. I had one instance where the backend became so unhindged that I made an "unplanned" lane change...

Case and point. Appreciate the input.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #18
blackdemonzl1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Fast wear is a trade off but the bigger trade off for me is the sway you'll experience at ~120 MPH and up. Plus, you cannot take turns aggressively at all. Entrance ramps are reduced to minivan status. Mind you, this isn't a big deal if you're only bolting them on at the drag strip or air strip. But if you drive it on the road, the trade offs are worse. If you get a slick, it's usually worse than a radial. I've driven cars on slicks that you have to be careful how you let off the throttle because the sudden weight transfer really unsettles the back end and it can change a lane on its own. I tend to overanalyze and hate negative changes, so for that reason, I am an R888R advocate because in my mind, the only downside to them is the tire hum. Then again, with a loud exhaust you may not notice that anyways. Cost and quick tire wear isn't really a downside for me as I expect both with a high performance tire.

IF you are truly drag racing or roll racing with big power, you will need an 18" or less radial/slick, which there's nothing wrong with. But stock power/even bolt on power (~650 RWHP or less), not super necessary, especially considering the M6 ZLE doesn't really launch at all.
Great input! Thanks! I agree with you on the R888R. If i were going to use them for more than drag racing thats the tire I would get. But I only want a tire with great grip that I can use only for racing and then take them off. Only time I'm going to street drive them is to go to the dragstrip and back.
blackdemonzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #19
blackdemonzl1

I just ordered a pair of Mickey Thompson. Can't beat the deal I got on them. So let's see how they perform.

I'll keep updating this thread.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:31 PM   #20
blackdemonzl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason18ZL1LE View Post

Oh shit. I just saw this. Too late for me. Already bought the MT. What tire pressure you had when the car made that unplanned lane change?
For driving on the street is it better to have normal psi(around 32psi) or lower than that?