Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-16-2022, 11:06 AM   #1
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
Tower Strut brace?

What tower strut brace fits the 22’ ZL1?
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Too my knowledge none do. Super charger makes clearance an issue. I know the GM Performance ones don't fit. Ask me how I know lol.
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
The BMR fits. Total bling mod.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
Drnick

I was informed by Bmr that there stainless steel
Strut (stb020) fits. But there website says up to
2020?
Old 05-17-2022, 12:47 AM   #5
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
BMR Strut Brace

I have the BMR in my 2018 and it fits great, no contact ever with a lot of hard track use. There is no difference between a 2018 and a 2022, if there was we would have heard all about it.

No doubt this stout piece of steel stiffens the chassis in a very key place and every serious race car in the world uses something like this, so I don't see how it can be only bling
Attached Images

SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:27 AM   #6
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I have the BMR in my 2018 and it fits great, no contact ever with a lot of hard track use. There is no difference between a 2018 and a 2022, if there was we would have heard all about it.

No doubt this stout piece of steel stiffens the chassis in a very key place and every serious race car in the world uses something like this, so I don't see how it can be only bling
I'm just the village idiot here, and I'm not trying to be confrontational... But if it were such a benefit, why wouldn't GM have included it on the ZL1 1LE, of all the Camaros? They seem to have included all/most of the serious track hardware on it, seems this would have been a cheap addition given everything else, no?

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:21 AM   #7
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Quote:

Our frame is already super stiff. I noticed zero difference tracking my car before and after adding the brace. No difference in lap times or feel. It looks nice, but, like the NX supercharger lid, just bling.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
Old 05-17-2022, 08:45 AM   #8
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
I'm just the village idiot here, and I'm not trying to be confrontational... But if it were such a benefit, why wouldn't GM have included it on the ZL1 1LE, of all the Camaros? They seem to have included all/most of the serious track hardware on it, seems this would have been a cheap addition given everything else, no?

Geoff

I hope I'm not mis-remembering, but I recall reading somewhere that GM engineers were asked about the strut brace and they admitted it had little benefit if any due to the overall very stiff structure of the Alpha platform. So, it really is just for looks. That's the only reason I have one, and that's because I was able to get it used for less than $100 :-)

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:00 AM   #9
Drnick

I’m just making sure the damn thing fits under the hood
Before I buy it….it looks awfully tight over the
Supercharger and hood clearance, I’m assuming
That the 2018’s through the 2022’s are the same
In regards to hood and supercharger lid.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Our frame is already super stiff. I noticed zero difference tracking my car before and after adding the brace. No difference in lap times or feel. It looks nice, but, like the NX supercharger lid, just bling.
Unless you're a pro driver you aren't going to notice it, and maybe even they don't actually "notice" it. But to say that you can't stiffen a car that has no bar crossing directly over between the strut towers doesn't make sense to me. Why do race teams add seam welding, bracing and other reinforcements throughout every race car they build from a stock chassis? Because it stiffens and therefore improves it.

If the bar cost $1000 or made any contact under throttle I wouldn't buy it, but it's cheap and fits perfectly and I know my front suspension is reinforced to the max so it makes sense to me.

The GM product people are going to say it doesn't make much difference because they didnt want to engineer and pay for a different Camaro brace to fit the ZL1 supercharger, they nickle and dime every $10 for max profit. And if it doesn't stiffen a Camaro why do they have a Camaro brace available? I don't think the ZL1 has any additional bracing or welding vs. the standard Camaro they made the strut brace for (maybe I'm wrong).
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #11
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
I hope I'm not mis-remembering, but I recall reading somewhere that GM engineers were asked about the strut brace and they admitted it had little benefit if any due to the overall very stiff structure of the Alpha platform. So, it really is just for looks. That's the only reason I have one, and that's because I was able to get it used for less than $100 :-)

Nigel
Except for convertibles. All SS convertibles get a strut brace. Not sure about V6 or 2.0T so maybe someone can chime in there. I’m having some cosmetic work getting done under hood. I took off my strut brace and engine covers to have them painted. The car definitely needs the strut brace. I can feel the cowl twist turning under power. I don’t intend to drive it much until I get the brace back on it. Makes me wonder why the ZL1 Vert doesn’t have it. I imagine the twist must be more intense on that car. Unless there’s additional body integrated bracing in place of the strut brace.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 05-17-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #12
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Quote:
Unless you're a pro driver you aren't going to notice it, and maybe even they don't actually "notice" it. But to say that you can't stiffen a car that has no bar crossing directly over between the strut towers doesn't make sense to me. Why do race teams add seam welding, bracing and other reinforcements throughout every race car they build from a stock chassis? Because it stiffens and therefore improves it.

If the bar cost $1000 or made any contact under throttle I wouldn't buy it, but it's cheap and fits perfectly and I know my front suspension is reinforced to the max so it makes sense to me.

The GM product people are going to say it doesn't make much difference because they didnt want to engineer and pay for a different Camaro brace to fit the ZL1 supercharger, they nickle and dime every $10 for max profit. And if it doesn't stiffen a Camaro why do they have a Camaro brace available? I don't think the ZL1 has any additional bracing or welding vs. the standard Camaro they made the strut brace for (maybe I'm wrong).
I hear ya. I did not say you could not “stiffen” a car further with a brace. I said I could not feel the difference or see any difference in lap times after I added mine. So whatever the brace adds as far as “stiffening” is not a tangible benefit, at least in my experience. Just trying to give the OP some real world feedback is all. It does add some bling to the engine compartment where it is sorely needed IMHO!

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
Old 05-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #13
Drnick

SFV, thx for the pic and info, I’m installing this
Because it’s a vert, and I know it needs it,
I’m not buying for bling,as I’ve installed strut braces on previous
Older Camaro’s, but they had plenty of room under hood.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #14
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:

The car already has a brace.

The Camaro Design Chief says it didn't need a strut-to-strut brace

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517935

It's a dress up piece and may even have negative impact on handling. If you stiffen the front too much, you'll introduce understeer.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote