Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-29-2024, 04:50 PM   #43
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancevanceZLE View Post
I don't think anyone is going to explicitly tell you how to steal a Camaro lol. They use the OBD port and a locksmith key reprogramming device from Amazon.

The way to protect yourself is getting an OBD lock, moving/hiding your OBD port, and/or killswitch with ignition or fuel pump cut off. A combination of various methods is probably best, and it's not very expensive.

You'll still get your driver's side window smashed in, but at least they won't be able to steal it. Driver side windows are on nationwide backorder btw. This tells you the issue is spreading.

Someone with an OBD locker has reported the thieves were not able to get past it, although they tried prying it with a screwdriver and plyers.

Ultimately, the real solution would have to come from Chevrolet. This is also affecting C7 Corvettes, which are being stolen at an increasing rate.

As a Camaro and C7 Corvette owner I'm not very happy...
Thanks for the insight. I recently installed a dummy OBD port with pass through power on my car and it's also garaged. I am now dreading the prospect that full coverage insurance on the Camaro will be too high soon or insurance companies will start marking it as non-insurable and I will be forced to sell
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:58 PM   #44
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
Thanks for the insight. I recently installed a dummy OBD port with pass through power on my car and it's also garaged. I am now dreading the prospect that full coverage insurance on the Camaro will be too high soon or insurance companies will start marking it as non-insurable and I will be forced to sell
And if it happens, it'll likely mean everyone has to sell and nobody wants to buy..values will tank, just like what happened with Kias and Hyundais.

Remember, no insurance means no financing either.
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:20 PM   #45
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnthusiast View Post
poop and pee everywhere
Yet another deterrent lol
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:47 PM   #46
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
It's everywhere, and it will come to your state too. It's already been reported in Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, etc.

Just like the Kia thefts, once the word gets out about how easy it is to steal them, thieves in other locations will copy the method.

It takes less than 5 minutes with a $1000 locksmith device you can buy on Amazon.

We should all be calling Chevrolet to file complaints so they can do a software update before the Camaro becomes uninsurable.

Instead of making this about politics or us vs them, we should come together so that GM can do the right thing and fix how easy they are to steal.

Everybody should call Chevrolet customer service and complain about how easy they are to steal. Cite this article as evidence. If they get a thousand calls they might finally do something.

Chevrolet customer service: +1-800-222-1020
Okay, I called GM Chevy too via the number. Thanks.

Here's what Range Rover just did about it. JLR’s updates contain embedded technology to prevent this.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/ran...10m-investment
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:11 PM   #47
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
Quote:
I don't think anyone is going to explicitly tell you how to steal a Camaro lol. They use the OBD port and a locksmith key reprogramming device from Amazon.

The way to protect yourself is getting an OBD lock, moving/hiding your OBD port, and/or killswitch with ignition or fuel pump cut off. A combination of various methods is probably best, and it's not very expensive.

Cool, this was all I was looking for, thanks.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:18 PM   #48
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
Okay, I called GM Chevy too via the number. Thanks.

Here's what Range Rover just did about it. JLR’s updates contain embedded technology to prevent this.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/ran...10m-investment
Thanks for sharing. This shows an update works:

"The latest security and technology can also be deployed to previous generation vehicles, including those out of warranty, ensuring they are updated with the same levels of protection as current models.

Updates, says JLR, have already been rolled out in the UK to more than 65,000 vehicles, reducing thefts of Range Rover and Range Rover Sport models built from 2018 to 2022 by more than 40%."

Previously, Range Rovers were the most stolen cars in the UK.
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:42 PM   #49
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
Yeah but in FL and Texas you can defend yourself against said crime. It's encouraged in California.

Same where I live too.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:09 PM   #50
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
I have an idea.....
Attached Images

Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:13 PM   #51
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
Yeah but in FL and Texas you can defend yourself against said crime. It's encouraged in California.

That's because the idiots here in CA vote in people that say the criminals are the victims, and the victims become statistics. At least the LA city council thinks so.

Coming to a state near you. Pay attention to who you vote for.....
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:39 PM   #52
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1LE View Post
That's because the idiots here in CA vote in people that say the criminals are the victims, and the victims become statistics. At least the LA city council thinks so.

Coming to a state near you. Pay attention to who you vote for.....
Come to Ohio. We’re pretty much Texas of the North.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:46 PM   #53
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Whoever started the flatbed thing going, as someone who has been in the industry( Towing, not car theft) for decades noone uses flatbeds, at least not pros. Of the cars that weren't driven away they were snatched with wheel lifts,same as repo outfits. Flatbeds would be minutes vs seconds to load with a WL

And to these being jacked and used in street takeovers, pure BS. The Pravda media arm of the Dems in CA put that out there because it deflects the blame on hooligans and not the horrible legislative polices that make crime easy peezy with no consequence. Don't kid yourself, these cars are being taken for parts not for being the default choice for doughnuts in intersections. Go on the FB Camaro forums and see how many skeletons are being posted vs one's in street takeovers. An hour ago i just renewed my auto insurance( three camaros and other family cars) and it went up 40% since last fall. Crime does pay in CA.
LateBrakeU2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:23 AM   #54
sklippi2018

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1LE View Post
I have an idea.....
sklippi2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:33 AM   #55
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Gavin for President!
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:14 AM   #56
Johnfin

Drives: 2018 ss
end to it

This gives me time to get Mr. Smith and Mr Wesson. Where I live in the south the sheriff gives us extra points for head shots. Saves them money.
Attached Images

Johnfin is offline   Reply With Quote