Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-30-2021, 02:39 AM   #1
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
New PB at Sonoma in the ZLE

https://youtu.be/tu4I5RqsHXk?t=947

New PB at Sonoma. I feel like the biggest thing holding me back from going faster is that I am struggling to put down power without the car getting squirrelly, even in fast corners. I'll probably try reducing rake and adding rear toe for my next time. Rear ARB is already full soft. I could also try PTM Race but it's more fun with all the nannies off!

Appreciate constructive feedback here.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Great video and I love the data! The main thought to your question is being smoother with your initial throttle input. If watch the data graph, many times you go to the throttle a bit too abruptly, then have to give it back up, then reapply. The corners where you are the smoothest, you have the best grip. (not quickly having weight transfer, not losing your trajectory, etc)

I also think there is quite a bit of room with the brake graph, but traffic was bit tough to make that work.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Don’t have any constructive feedback but great work. You should add it to the Best Laps thread
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I looked at your vid. I'm guessing you don't have a PDR. Which PTM mode are you running in while on the track?

It looks to me like you are trying to exit the corners too aggressively. As you are passing through the apex, with the highest amount of steering angle, you are instantly trying to go to 30-40% throttle. That's simply too much power (probably for an LT1 but certainly so for an LT4). This is breaking the rear tires loose and causing oversteer on exit; So you are dropping throttle and counter-steering (and loosing acceleration) at a time when you ideally would be accelerating.

Try easing on the throttle more smoothly (build up 40% rather than going there immediately) as you begin your track-out from apex and slowly open up the steering wheel. Pretend there is a string or pole connecting the steering wheel to the gas peddle. As you go past the apex and progressively open the steering wheel to your track-out point, you progressively (and smoothly) roll onto throttle at the same time. The tighter the turn, the more slowly you will have to roll onto the gas as you exit. Generally speaking, you shouldn't be at full throttle until you have the steering wheel almost straight.

Try this approach, at first being overly conservative on corner exit (so you can get use to applying the throttle progressively rather than stabbing at it). You likely won't get any oversteer. Then try (slowly) stepping up how quickly you roll onto the throttle until you get the point where you start to induce more oversteer on corner exit than you want. Then simply back-off a bit until you are just under the limit of breaking traction.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote