Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-31-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Questions for folks who ordered their cars(1LE)

Ok. Crush Orange has forced my hand and its do or die time for me ordering.

I've done the round before and have a local guy I get along decently enough with, but at the end of the day I'm a bottom dollar guy. I get the deal I do the deal, if not I walk.

Easy enough car:
1SS (manual)
1LE
Crush Orange
PDR
1LE Hash Mark (my one indulgence lol)

Supplier price is 100% on the table at 44,357.45

GMS w/ freight is 43,594.95

I get to the GMS or very close I'll pull the pin. I should have 1500$ available on my GM card by delivery and assuming 500-1500 rebate range which would make it to my feel good about it point.

He's going to get back to me Sat., possibly Mon. due to holidays and who is and isn't at the dealer. There are none equipped the way at want them in my area.

I also emailed JoeP as I am not opposed to ordering from out of state, but would prefer to keep it local if possible. I was a dealer tech for 10+ years and I know for a fact when push comes to shove on things, they will see if you bought it from them or not. :-)

Am I being unrealistic? Makes sense for me to take the hit and have the car gone rather than have it sit on the lot for a few months and still take a hit. Was basing my numbers off discounts in the lot vs. sticker price on my order.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 3.8TransAM; 12-31-2020 at 09:27 PM.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
There's generally a shortage of vehicles these days. Why sell it to you if they think they can sell it for more to someone else a little later? Not saying that's the way it is, but that's where they'll be coming from. If you are ordering, you are far more at the mercy of the dealership. You don't get stupid markups, but you also don't get stupid discounts IME, except for normal program stuff. It's good to have a CU or similar negotiate the price.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
What James said. I had my local dealer (where I bought my car) offer me $39k for my 2017 1SS 1LE with 30k miles back in November.

I doubt they are going to be very bendy on the pricing.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I'm not sure I'd agree with the conclusion that the dealer will be unwilling to negotiate. Read on regarding my experience. It was definitely a decent bit of work on my part, but getting a decent price on an ordered car can be done.

Before I ordered mine, I contacted 11 dealers (phone) in my surrounding area offered them the chance to compete, head to head for my business by giving me their best price. Of those who expressed interest (most of them), I sent email details of the build sheet and how I wanted them to break down their out the door price so that I could compare the bids, apples to apples. A key pre-requisite was that they have a Camaro SS allocation immediately available that they are willing to use for my order. Ultimately, I received 6 bids, 2 of which were for the invoice price (slightly less than the supplier price) and all others were some amount higher up to just a few hundred off MSRP. I then chose amongst the 2 invoice price dealers based on other criteria.

If you think about it, there are some pluses to the dealer ordering a "sold car" that help counteract the "the dealer can sell an SS on the lot to somebody else for more money" philosophy:
1) They don't have to put any sales effort time into selling this 1LE. Thus they can focus their sales staff to selling other cars on the lot
2) No time spent on repeatedly cleaning the car exterior in order to attract buyers on the lot
3) No floor space taken up with a car that probably won't sell right away
4) A guaranteed sale that helps them meet their sales quota
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
find the fleet manager if possible - they are often the best person to work with on an order - most of the internet or lot guys need to sell product that month and they will focus all of their time on that effort.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #6
N Camarolina

Most dealers have an appointed person who orders their cars, and some have a different person who only orders the Vettes and Camaros.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
First, does your dealer have an allocation? Second, I kinda agree with what everyone is saying. On an order, you're fortunate to get supplier pricing right now. You might get them to knock off an extra $100 bucks or so but don't hold your breath on Employee pricing from the dealer on a sold order.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #8
Johnnyb2016

I was messed about by two dealers before I finally found one that was willing to order the car I wanted, most want you to have whet they have available.
Car is almost here, due on the 21st of Jan.
Dealer went above and beyond, called me to let me know they had the invoice for the car and if I did the paperwork before the cut off date, would get employee pricing on it.
Took advantage of it but let them know that if there were any issues with the car, they would need to be addressed.
Johnnyb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
I amazingly found a dark horse candidate once my prior dealer gave the whole line of #!@$@#$#@ "we cant do that we will never see the money schpeel"...........

Local family owned, just sold their stock camaro over the weekend and I got in line for mine right afterwards so they can keep their allocation. Zero games, BS, tricks, changing things, nothing of the sort.

Think we exchanged 6 emails total and done. Walked in this morning and confirmed everything and in writing along with deposit.

$44,200 is my worst case scenario and its in writing. Rebates at time of delivery will apply and my GM card cash. So should right be right in my expected sweet spot. Come on Feb./Mar. rebates.

$3k off MSRP on an ordered car might not be a super awesome deal, but I think it's a pretty good deal.

Should have confirmation later today or trow morning at the latest. They did call and confirm with region office they do have the allocation for both the car and requested options yesterday. I made that part real clear from the get go.

If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me. They are a smaller family owned dealer with two locations in NW IN. They do ask for more of a deposit than the larger dealers, but it doesn't matter a whole lot if you're buying the car either way.

I'm still in shock, I usually walk in expecting to fist fight before its all said and done. I think me writing a 4 figure check out was the worst part(think I can tell you every 4 figure check I've ever wrote out lol)

So here is to going from long time lurker to straight up owner.

Also thanks to everyone for info and for me to keep on pushing for a deal!

Last edited by 3.8TransAM; 01-05-2021 at 12:32 PM.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #10
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
4 figure check. that's nothing!

HA!

congrats - fingers crossed.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #11
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
INVOICE MINUS REBATES or nothing. Thats it.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #12
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
also lots of you dont seem to understand how supplier pricing works in relation to the dealer or how ordering a car benefits both the dealer and the buyer.

Firstly, ordering a car is a no brainer for any dealer. Thats a guaranteed sale with almost no work or money involved on their part. The only thing they do is PDI the car when it shows up. Thats it. Getting invoice on an ordered car is easy and just about any dealer will do it.

And in terms of supplier pricing, this is like a rebate. The dealer gets this back from GM. So basically they are selling you the car for MSRP. Unless they are discounting the car themselves like selling it for invoice, then they are not losing a dime with passing along dealer cash, rebates or supplier/employee pricing. There is no way they lose by selling them at supplier. If invoice is less, I would push for that unless it was only a few hundred less. Usually GM supplier pricing is like $200 over invoice. Again the dealer is not presenting that discount, GM is. And they are reimbursing the dealer for offering that discount.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #13
Kevmjam

Drives: 2018 SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
I amazingly found a dark horse candidate once my prior dealer gave the whole line of #!@$@#$#@ "we cant do that we will never see the money schpeel"...........

Local family owned, just sold their stock camaro over the weekend and I got in line for mine right afterwards so they can keep their allocation. Zero games, BS, tricks, changing things, nothing of the sort.

Think we exchanged 6 emails total and done. Walked in this morning and confirmed everything and in writing along with deposit.

$44,200 is my worst case scenario and its in writing. Rebates at time of delivery will apply and my GM card cash. So should right be right in my expected sweet spot. Come on Feb./Mar. rebates.

$3k off MSRP on an ordered car might not be a super awesome deal, but I think it's a pretty good deal.

Should have confirmation later today or trow morning at the latest. They did call and confirm with region office they do have the allocation for both the car and requested options yesterday. I made that part real clear from the get go.

If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me. They are a smaller family owned dealer with two locations in NW IN. They do ask for more of a deposit than the larger dealers, but it doesn't matter a whole lot if you're buying the car either way.

I'm still in shock, I usually walk in expecting to fist fight before its all said and done. I think me writing a 4 figure check out was the worst part(think I can tell you every 4 figure check I've ever wrote out lol)

So here is to going from long time lurker to straight up owner.

Also thanks to everyone for info and for me to keep on pushing for a deal!
Did you happen to buy from Smith Chevy?
Kevmjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
4 figure check. that's nothing!

HA!

congrats - fingers crossed.
Indeed, here's one with 10, heck, almost 11 figures from 2008. It's legit and was cashed.
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ar...check-written/
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote