Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
2.3L Vs 2.9L Blowers

This post is in relation to my friends Mustang but it is more about just the difference on supercharger sizes.

My buddy is looking to supercharge his 2011 Mustang and was having a hard time deciding on which supercharger to get. He ordered a TVS2300 and was going to push 10 PSI giving him somewhere around 600hp. However, he was looking at Whipple and while trying to do some reading for him about what my thoughts between them are I became a bit confused. It looks like Whipple offers a 2.3L and a 2.9L blower and both can push out 600hp. However, it appears that the 2.9L can produce over 15 PSI if you wanted it to. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between having a larger supercharger achieves? Is it just typically a higher boost that it's capable of?
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Jontall

Drives: GTO
TVS2300= 2.3 liters per revolution.
Whipple 2.9= 2.9 liters per revolution.
The advantage of a larger blower is that it can spin slower to make the same boost as the smaller blower. That lowers the (IAT) intake air temperature, makes more power, and leaves room-to-grow in the future.
Jontall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
J Webb

Drives: 2010 2ss iom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontall View Post
TVS2300= 2.3 liters per revolution.
Whipple 2.9= 2.9 liters per revolution.
The advantage of a larger blower is that it can spin slower to make the same boost as the smaller blower. That lowers the (IAT) intake air temperature, makes more power, and leaves room-to-grow in the future.
At what rpm? I thought the larger blowers came into boost later. Not so practical on a street machine. Sounds like if 10 psi is max boost then the smaller blower will come on sooner and be more fun at lower rpm. I am a big fan of the smaller blowers because of the low rpm pull they have. Feels like a turbo diesel. They do run out of power on top though. Everything is a give and take. You will give up low end to achieve top end. Decide how the car will be used and choose accordingly. It is always a good idea to ask the supercharger company these questions. They have probably tested both on this vehicle and made an informed decision on best "all around" performance.
J Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Webb View Post
At what rpm? I thought the larger blowers came into boost later. Not so practical on a street machine. Sounds like if 10 psi is max boost then the smaller blower will come on sooner and be more fun at lower rpm. I am a big fan of the smaller blowers because of the low rpm pull they have. Feels like a turbo diesel. They do run out of power on top though. Everything is a give and take. You will give up low end to achieve top end. Decide how the car will be used and choose accordingly. It is always a good idea to ask the supercharger company these questions. They have probably tested both on this vehicle and made an informed decision on best "all around" performance.
The Whipple has a very nice power curve, and I'm more than satisfied with mine. I have enough torque to spin my tires through the first two gears and more than enough top end.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hm....all interesting. I was thinking of TT my car but am thinking of SC instead but it's good to know the difference but I guess ultimately I just to decide based on the curve and also how much power hits and at where. Just bought my first home yesterday and have a bunch of things I want to do first so I have to wait for forced induction anyway. :(
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
J Webb

Drives: 2010 2ss iom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
The Whipple has a very nice power curve, and I'm more than satisfied with mine. I have enough torque to spin my tires through the first two gears and more than enough top end.
I LOVE the way whipples come on and how they pull from 3500 on. It really is an awesome experience. The way a smaller blower plants you in the seat at 2000 rpms is also an awesome experience. I did a little 90 eaton on an expedition one time and I swear it was gonna pulled a front tire off the ground. The front suspension would fully unload if you stomped it off the line and then pulled like hell till 4000, then, nothing. Kinda disappointing it stopped at 4000, but again an awesome experience and great on an suv. I was seriously impressed at the power that thing had at 1200 rpms. Whatever you gain on one end you give up on the other. The trick is to find a balance. Whipples are a little large, hence a little soft down low. However given the IRS and traction issues its not all bad. It is really hard to put the power to the ground with a smaller blower in the lower gears, but, in the higher gears they pull really nice at a lower rpm. Its a trade off. How do you use the vehicle? Street use, light to light, the smaller blowers are more practical every day. Race use all out the screws have an advantage but also are daily drivable.
J Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Webb View Post
I LOVE the way whipples come on and how they pull from 3500 on. It really is an awesome experience. The way a smaller blower plants you in the seat at 2000 rpms is also an awesome experience. I did a little 90 eaton on an expedition one time and I swear it was gonna pulled a front tire off the ground. The front suspension would fully unload if you stomped it off the line and then pulled like hell till 4000, then, nothing. Kinda disappointing it stopped at 4000, but again an awesome experience and great on an suv. I was seriously impressed at the power that thing had at 1200 rpms. Whatever you gain on one end you give up on the other. The trick is to find a balance. Whipples are a little large, hence a little soft down low. However given the IRS and traction issues its not all bad. It is really hard to put the power to the ground with a smaller blower in the lower gears, but, in the higher gears they pull really nice at a lower rpm. Its a trade off. How do you use the vehicle? Street use, light to light, the smaller blowers are more practical every day. Race use all out the screws have an advantage but also are daily drivable.
I agree completely with what you said. As of now mine is just a DD, but once I get my build finished I plan to autocross it and start running it down the 1320. I just need some new gears, 3200 stall, axles and a couple other things and I'll be set.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote