Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #15
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Did you notice any difference in power?
There is zero difference in power from a catback change at anything below 900 rwhp. The only thing a catback does is change the tone and the loudness of a car.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:30 PM   #16
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Im out of the loop when it comes to modding 6th Gens. I haven’t been paying much attention because I wasn’t going to touch anything until I paid off my SS but some strain of rare luck happened and I managed to pay it off a few years early.
what are your goals for the car? there is more than one way to skin a cat and these cars will do quite a bit with limited input.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:09 AM   #17
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Did you notice any difference in power?
No.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #18
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplct View Post
I’ve heard this system and I think it sounds the best out there. Love the black tips also! I would love to put this on mine in the future.
yeah i enjoy it. very loud before headers. hard to tell in the pics but this is the carbon fiber tips.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:23 AM   #19
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Borla S Type catback with NPP sounds great with headers
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:08 AM   #20
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
There isn't any power to be gained from an exhaust unless you are making crazy high numbers.

Out of the "big three" vendors of drone-free, good looking and sounding exhausts, AWE is out because they aren't willing to make valved models, choose Borla for a nice low, non-raspy rumble or Corsa for a classic, more brutal muscle car sound.

I'm sure there are others that work and are cheaper, but I personally don't want to mess with resonators and J-pipes to eliminate drone or fine tune the exhaust after spending a ton of money.

I for one like the stock NPP even with headers, but one of these days (when I can justify the cost somehow) I'll get me a nice Corsa catback setup.
I thought there wouldn’t be any gains from an exhaust as well, especially catback system. I know the stock exhaust system has crushed pipes behind the xpipe and you would think its a restriction but i saw some testing on the internet and changing it to smooth diameter pipes didn’t show a power bump. Now the interesting thing is there are couple of independent third party dynos and reviews with Corsa catbacks with double x pipe coupled with a Rotofab dry intake no tune. They are showing gains around 20 whp on a stock tune. One guy claims almost 30 whp gain with the above combo plus bigger throttle body(He might have the secondary cats deleted though). I m not sure who to trust. It would be nice gaining 20 to 30 whp with stock tune and going back to full stock except catback for warranty work. Intake and throttle body replacement are pretty easy.

Forgot to add the finance part of things. Corsa catback with double x pipe (npp) is more than $3000 plus $400 for the Rotofab. Thats almost half of a supercharger money right there or a head/cam intake manifold package. So is the 20 or 30 whp worth it? If you are willing to throw away the warranty maybe not at that time but they can act as supporting mods in the future as well i think. Intake and good exhaust can support future mods when the time comes.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #21
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMN View Post
I thought there wouldn’t be any gains from an exhaust as well, especially catback system. I know the stock exhaust system has crushed pipes behind the xpipe and you would think its a restriction but i saw some testing on the internet and changing it to smooth diameter pipes didn’t show a power bump. Now the interesting thing is there are couple of independent third party dynos and reviews with Corsa catbacks with double x pipe coupled with a Rotofab dry intake no tune. They are showing gains around 20 whp on a stock tune. One guy claims almost 30 whp gain with the above combo plus bigger throttle body(He might have the secondary cats deleted though). I m not sure who to trust. It would be nice gaining 20 to 30 whp with stock tune and going back to full stock except catback for warranty work. Intake and throttle body replacement are pretty easy.

Forgot to add the finance part of things. Corsa catback with double x pipe (npp) is more than $3000 plus $400 for the Rotofab. Thats almost half of a supercharger money right there or a head/cam intake manifold package. So is the 20 or 30 whp worth it? If you are willing to throw away the warranty maybe not at that time but they can act as supporting mods in the future as well i think. Intake and good exhaust can support future mods when the time comes.
Nobody is gaining 20-30 whp from a catback and/or cold air intake without a tune. The biggest restrictions on the factory exhaust system are the catalytic converters and the tiny diameter pipes that connect the stock exhaust manifolds to the primary catalytic converters. The crushed pipes before the muffler have zero effect on air flow. The factory catback has been tested to 900 hp without being a restriction.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #22
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Nobody is gaining 20-30 whp from a catback and/or cold air intake without a tune. The biggest restrictions on the factory exhaust system are the catalytic converters and the tiny diameter pipes that connect the stock exhaust manifolds to the primary catalytic converters. The crushed pipes before the muffler have zero effect on air flow. The factory catback has been tested to 900 hp without being a restriction.
That’s what i would think but there are multiple youtube videos showing gains with catback and cai combo. One guy claims 30 whp with throttle body, catback (secondary cat delete) and rotofab dry cai on stock tune. There are some claiming no tune power increase with lt2 intake manifold and cai combo again around 20 to 25 whp. I m really not sure if those are really valid. There is definitely a limit on how much the stock ecu can adjust for additional airflow and the risk of running lean is always going to be there. I am not even sure what the afr would be on part throttle.

We know stock exhaust is not restricted but is there really a benefit going to a 3 inch tubing without forced induction? We need someone to do a test on finding the limit of stock tune. Add a catback then dyno. Add a cai on top of catback then dyno. Add throttle body on top of that then dyno. And finally add lt2 intake manifold then dyno. All stock tune. It would be amazing to see the differences. Also verifying after a week long of driving on the dyno to see if the stock ecu is still keeping the gains.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote