Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #15
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I just had Prodigy/Pray install 2" TSP with off road connections and it is stupid loud on start up even in tour mode. Like others have said, after that, it gets quieter. But in sport/track mode it is quite loud on the gas. Sounds good, but easily exceeds any track ordinance for DB level. Mine is also hitting the steering shaft and I noticed they didn't install the button head bolt that came with them from TSP, so gotta go back and get that taken care of. I know PP doesn't recommend cats (may even refuse them), but I think on a bolt on car they won't be an issue and dramatically quiet it down. I guess I could go with some Vibrant resonators. So far my neighbors directly behind my garage haven't complained and I leave for work at 6:30 am
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #16
VINCETHEGIANT

Drives: '20 SS/1LE
I'm no tuning expert but if you need a tune to run long tubes and cold starts are so loud is it possible to just not make it cold start? isn't the cold start just dumping extra fuel in to help warm up the cats? or is this not something you can tune out lol. don't laugh at this to hard because Ive never tuned anything.
VINCETHEGIANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:00 PM   #17
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
Okay, for all those that have 2” headers installed, are there issues “after” they’re installed with hitting the steering column? I knew that the column /shaft has to be disassembled during installation, but I’ve not heard of issues once everything was installed. Any help / clarification is greatly appreciated. Thanks all
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:18 AM   #18
Wintermute

Drives: 2020 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggyB View Post
I don't think its too loud. Once they are broken in it does quiet down a little until you put foot in it. That's when they really come alive.
I've never heard of a break in period for headers lol.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:29 AM   #19
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE'Z 18 View Post
Okay, for all those that have 2” headers installed, are there issues “after” they’re installed with hitting the steering column? I knew that the column /shaft has to be disassembled during installation, but I’ve not heard of issues once everything was installed. Any help / clarification is greatly appreciated. Thanks all
mine fit well. no contact with anything but the plastic collar on the steering shaft melted where the primary runs by it. i didn't do anything but let it self clearance. its fine.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #20
Wintermute

Drives: 2020 LT1
I have speed engineering 1 7/8 headers and xpipe, no cats, and 3 inch pipes back to Borla atak mufflers. It's obnoxiously loud. With the valves open its basically straight piped. It's raspy and does not sound particularly good. I'm adding a straight through glasspack and steel mesh packed resonator to each side this week. Hopefully that will tone it down just a little and take out the raspy.

If you do go with headers, do yourself a favor and get some heat resistant boots to cover your plug wires at a bare minimum. I added a heat shield to my headers on both sides and haven't had any issues. The stock headers have heat shields, I don't know why people think they can run without them and not have problems.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2022, 09:44 AM   #21
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCETHEGIANT View Post
I'm no tuning expert but if you need a tune to run long tubes and cold starts are so loud is it possible to just not make it cold start? isn't the cold start just dumping extra fuel in to help warm up the cats? or is this not something you can tune out lol. don't laugh at this to hard because Ive never tuned anything.
I have wondered the same. I have always thought cold start could be tuned out.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #22
VINCETHEGIANT

found a vid from haltech that explains why there is a cold start.https://www.google.com/search?q=tuni...XN9AP1-r-oBg13

basically it has to do with the temp of the engine or lack of it. you need to spray more fuel than normal to make sure some finds the spark plug even if its a liquid it will burn when it fires and start the burn. when the engine is hot the fuel hits its distillation temp almost instantly and turns to a vapor that only needs a spark to ignite. looks like were probably stuck with it ..
Old 08-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #23
s346k

i'm 99% sure it is for heating the cats up and cannot be modified. some kind of dual pulse ignition stuff.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #24
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Idk if the actual cold start can be modified, but you can shut the valves in the tune so it at least tames it a bit. I have the valves shut on cold start in touring mode.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:41 PM   #25
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
headers have to be worth 15 to 20 rear wheel horses when tuned properly imo.

Last edited by lt4camaro; 08-09-2022 at 07:53 PM.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:47 PM   #26
VINCETHEGIANT

The cold start doesn't really bother me anyway. my plan for my car is a american racing 1-7/8" long system with cats into the stock npp exhaust and a un-ported lt2 with a rotofab maybe flex-fuel. Im probably gonna call it done after that?
Old 08-09-2022, 07:49 PM   #27
s346k

i think the hp gain comes from deleting the cats. some of the fastest bolt on cars in the country that tracked their progress with mods showed very little, if any, gain from adding headers to a car that already had the cats deleted. gray area for sure.

i think 6spdhyperblue is onto something with them benefiting m6 cars more.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:59 PM   #28
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i think the hp gain comes from deleting the cats. some of the fastest bolt on cars in the country that tracked their progress with mods showed very little, if any, gain from adding headers to a car that already had the cats deleted. gray area for sure.

i think 6spdhyperblue is onto something with them benefiting m6 cars more.
I would have to see a before and after dyno done the same day after a proper tune and proper cats. I realize no headers will bolt up to OE cats so good 400 cel high flow cats and then hook into the existing mid pipe.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote