Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
battery saving active

Went to a car show today. My wife ran the little touch-up vacuum for several minutes, having to restart accessory mode 3-4 times.
When we got ready to leave the car wouldn't start, DIC says "Battery saving active"
I had to get a jump start and after three tries to start it finally started. But no HUD, reset all my mileage counters except the main tally. Outside temp no longer shows on the touch screen. When I put it in drive, it went in hard. As I pulled out of the show grounds it only shifted to 2nd. No manual shifting, just one automatic shift to 2nd and it was harsh.

Oh, and there is a picture of an engine lit up on the dash.

Tomorrow am I will read the trouble code and see if I can reset it.

It's a 2019, so battery is three years old. I think it shouldn't be bothered by the running the little vacuum. I've run it much longer in my old 69 Chevelle.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Comments welcome.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Wow. I haven't noticed this before. I know there's a battery-saving mode for transport that we can activate or deactivate, and wouldn't know if this is your case, but this is interesting.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:21 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
Oh, and there is a picture of an engine lit up on the dash. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Yes. Your battery died. Our cars do not like low voltage. Messes with the computers and can cause them to throw false codes.

Best thing to do is clear the codes with an OBD2 reader and recharge the battery to full. Driving 30 mins isn't enough (2 hours isn't enough, ask me how I know). Get a decent battery charger/tender on it for a day or two. I use a CTEK MXS 5.0. Yeah it can take a day or two to fully recharge an AGM battery. They charge really slowly.

If the codes come back (odds are they won't unless something got broken or you have another low voltage event), then act accordingly.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
My 2018 did this one time after I ran the battery down last year, after jumping it I drove around for about 30 minutes then went home and plugged into my trickle charger, next day battery message was gone and it was 100% normal again
Old 08-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #5
overdriv

Thanks for the comments. It seems to be back to normal now. I will charge to full charge and test it. I guess I can load test it like a lead acid battery??

I think the battery is pretty weak if it won’t run my little vacuum long enough to touch up the inside???
Old 08-08-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
overdriv

If I decide to replace this battery, which I probably will, what is everyone going too?

I know everyone will have their best in mind, and that’s ok just want to find out what’s working well.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
overdriv

To update, I charged the battery overnight with a Deltran 1.25amp charger.
Battery showed 12.6volts and passed a load test. So now I’m confused.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:20 AM   #8
John Simon

Drives: Supra, GTR R-34, RX-7
This all is happening because of non linear/ Low voltages. Get your battery replaced, and Make sure to keep your car unplugged from battery for like a night and then put in new charged battery.
John Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
overdriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simon View Post
This all is happening because of non linear/ Low voltages. Get your battery replaced, and Make sure to keep your car unplugged from battery for like a night and then put in new charged battery.
What will that do?
Old 08-31-2022, 10:48 AM   #10
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
For whatever reason the car won't keep the battery fully charged and it won't last long as a result, 3 years is about right. I had mine replaced right before the BtB warranty expired.

I also have a CTek 5A smart charger and now I use it about once a week in hopes it will extend the battery's life.

If your battery has successfully charged and passed a load test it may have recovered just fine and doesn't need replacing.