Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #15
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
Lost my grille piece so filled the hole with a red hook. Wicker going on for track aero. If it was just a street car, it would be ricey. Because I track it, its functional. Now louvers....thats a new level lol
Interesting point , on a street car like a 1le, are there real gains from the wicker bill , and does it offset any loss of top speed due to it?
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 PM   #16
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Tow hooks look ricer to me too! If you are racing on a track or pulling the car up on a trailer then they have their place on the car but having one on a street car makes no sense to me. Wonder if anyone has ever thought about somebody towing their car away while parked in a parking lot or the driveway and stealing it with the tow hook screwed in the grille. Just my thoughts on the subject!��
Old 01-21-2020, 09:57 PM   #17
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Why bother removing it? I just leave the hook on there. I also leave the wing on.

In the case of the wicker bill, those things add down-force and are functional.

Louvers are just aesthetic, they serve no purpose - but it's your money! I have a bigger issue with folks swapping to crappy brake pads to forego dust, putting garbage tires on, tuning with no mods, or improperly mixing harness/seat/cage combos.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:08 AM   #18
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
LOL so says you. If you have ever broken down on a race track you would understand why the hook is there. It can be a functional thing when the truck goes out there to tow you and they are always in a hurry. Been there done that.
yes, on a racetrack it is totally functional. dropping the kids off at school and cars and coffee dont qualify. i guess next we will see them driving around in their helmets.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #19
LT4Greg

LOL!!! Good point s346k!!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:37 AM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
yes, on a racetrack it is totally functional. dropping the kids off at school and cars and coffee dont qualify. i guess next we will see them driving around in their helmets.
How do you know they do not track the car, do you know them personally? But is this a big deal really? If you took a picture of a ZL1 1LE and posted it a few years ago everyone would shout "Ricer". Tastes change, and to each thier own. Live and let live. I do not think you can judge people superficially unless you know them and can apply some empathy.

And if you do track it is easiest just to leave the hook in the grill.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #21
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I guess that I am full ricer. I've had a tow hook on my '16 2SS and now on my ZL1. I caught a flat and having a tow hook allowed for the car to be easily loaded on the flatbed. I also have track decals on the front fender of all the tracks that I've had the car on. My car, my money and at 65 years of age, I figure I've earned the right.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:17 AM   #22
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieSS View Post
I'm seeing more and more people with tow hooks sticking out of their front grills and I wonder why??? I've always thought that's the kind of thing that you'd store in the trunk or somewhere it's not visible until you'd need it. Then you'd take it out and screw it in where needs to be so you can get towed. But some people like those things sticking out in plain view and I can't help but to wonder why? This is the kind of thing the ricer crowd does but not us big boys with real muscle....
I'm too lazy to remove it between track days.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #23
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
Interesting point , on a street car like a 1le, are there real gains from the wicker bill , and does it offset any loss of top speed due to it?
Street.. whatever.. but on the track a local guy runs slower lap times with it because it adds rear downforce but nothing up front of course so on high speed corners the car pushes.

I'm sure if front aero was added also the wicker bill would be ideal for a track SS 1LE.

Street, it's looks either way. Nothing else.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #24
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
This tow hook seems to really eat at some people and I just dont get it? This summer I posted in the classified section my dads friends 2018 ZL1 for sale. I got asked in the thread and multiple PM's as to why does it have a tow hook. Not one of those people asked another question about the car. For the record my dads friend is 78 years old and put the tow hook on. He had plans of taking it to the track but had to sell it because of a cancer diagnosis. So its not an age thing at all.
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #25
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Nose rings on a coupe are fine for dress up, IMO. And certainly appropriate for the folks who track their cars.

I have the factory hook in the trunk if I should ever need a tow.

But I can't see putting one on a convertible ... it just doesn't work on a vert.

This is all I see when I think about it:
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #26
LT4Greg

Wow Gunkk!! A new perspective on a tow hook! Love it!
Old 01-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #27
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgenSix View Post
Tow hook, tire letters, youtube ch name and/or instagram name decal on the windows. All tacky looking.
I saw all of those on a Honda the other day.

The tow hook I can cough up to psychotic preparedness, the white lettering used to be a thing back in the 60’s, but the instagram/ twitter thing is simply narcissistic attention whoring.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #28
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Well let's be honest, the black 1LE hoods are a throwback to when the "serious" hot rodders couldn't be bothered spending time or money on cosmetic luxuries like matching paint. Hit the new hood with some primer and send it! ...and then regular guys started taking their perfectly good matching hoods and painting them black to look cool. -and cool it is! I love the look, so no shade from me! Just pointing out that half this industry is about going fast, and the other half is looking fast. Where exactly you and your car and your preference lies is somewhere in between.

Can't we all just get along!?
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote