Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #29
jwaked

Drives: 11 Corvette ZR1
Like I said The ZR1 already have US taxes and license plate back in 2011 so you guys are making me think that maybe I could sell it back to the US at a good price. I just came from driving it and it feels awesome obviously is a nine-year-old car and have a little things here and there but the car is in excellent shape physically and mechanically just one tire sensor that needs to be replaced.

Will keep you posted
jwaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:18 PM   #30
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Sounds like we need to do our car shopping in Panama!

I do understand what you're saying though, about parts, and maintenance, that does make sense.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #31
jwaked

Yes sir. Low income like most Latin American countries makes used exotic cars not hold their value. For me and you a zr1 is a beast, and American icon. For the rest of the country here is just another sports car that insurance, gas, and parts are way too much.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #32
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Wait a second here. Something sounds off. A car of a higher value doesn't just not be a higher value because it is in a different location. I could see demand for certain vehicles not being high depending on location. But not value. If a car is worth twice as much as a different car here, then it will still be worth twice as much somewhere else. It might not be worth $65K USD in Panama, but whatever it IS worth, it would still be substantially higher than a SS. I mean, the SS will lose it's value as well.

Again, regardless of how well you know someone, or think you know someone, you don't really know. Something sounds way off here. Because nobody does an even trade of an 11 ZR1 for an 18 1SS. Even if the story checked out and the values were lower in Panama he could simply post it for sale in the US and have it shipped and still come out much better than he will for an even trade. So this does not make sense.

If I were you I would go over that ZR1 with a fine toothed comb. Check all over that car for rust, signs of water damage, signs of electrical faults, etc. Try to check the engine to make sure it is actually a ZR1 engine and not something else. Look for codes, signs of tuning, signs of mods, etc.

And I will warn you again. You might think you know someone and their car. But in desperate situations people do desperate things. And there are stories every day of people who were best friends with someone doing something devious to them. Don't be fooled. Maybe your friendship is a bit lopsided and you're not aware.

If all checks out and his story is legit then I would take that deal. But there are way too many variables and all you have going for you is that you say you know him and his car. But you might not...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:16 PM   #33
jwaked

I agree and disagree. Disagree in that demand makes the value. I am no mechanic but I do own a business for many years and the lower the demand the less the value it retains. Agree about the checking it more. I did a good check today but I am not a mechanic. Saturday the car will be going to my friends shop for a full check up and if everything goes as it should will do maintenance right away.

To give an example. A Japanese car here depreciates 15% per year. American about 25% first year and 20 there after. European about the same. V8 cars here get a big loss specially if it has a few years already.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:23 PM   #34
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaked View Post
I agree and disagree. Disagree in that demand makes the value. I am no mechanic but I do own a business for many years and the lower the demand the less the value it retains. Agree about the checking it more. I did a good check today but I am not a mechanic. Saturday the car will be going to my friends shop for a full check up and if everything goes as it should will do maintenance right away.

To give an example. A Japanese car here depreciates 15% per year. American about 25% first year and 20 there after. European about the same. V8 cars here get a big loss specially if it has a few years already.
Demand and value are 2 different things. A ZR1 has very low demand. A Silverado 1500 or a Equinox would have a higher demand. However the ZR1 costs $120K. A ZR1 has much more cost associated with it whereas a Silverado or Equinox would have much lower cost. So those costs do not go away simply because there is a lower demand. When the buyer does come around, he might get a slightly better deal than someone in an area where there is a higher demand. But the price isn't gonna plummet by too much. So again, just because there isn't much demand for the ZR1 in Panama does not mean it will lose value. At the very least the demand won't affect the value to the point where it is worth an even trade with a 6th Gen 1 SS with the same amount of mileage.

But that is a debate for another day. My point is that something sounds a bit off.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:36 PM   #35
jwaked

So what your are saying is that a car holds its value even if it does not sell year after year ?this is a car, not a piece of land. Maybe over there but if a car has very low demand here it losses value very fast. When flights have low demand prices are low. High demand prices are high. I leave here my friend. American and European cars here loose value fast. My z06 sold for for 36 back in the days when I paid 60 2 years before. Not cool but that’s the way it is here. Just because something is very well appreciated in one country does not mean is the same everywhere else. That’s life

Anyway everybody agrees that it’s a heeeeeeell of a deal. Maybe too good to be true. Let’s wait a few days and will let you know.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #36
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaked View Post

Big difference between “V8 sports car” and numbers matching low mileage excellent condition Corvette ZR1
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #37
jwaked

Saturday will know for sure everything about it. Will be checked every inch of it. Everything I saw today was cool but I am no mechanic. Will miss the rear view camera though, I lost flexibility in my neck from not having to look back when parking. jajajaj
Old 01-22-2020, 12:10 AM   #38
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Keep in mind you posted this thread right after Barrett-Jackson week in Scottsdale, Arizona where I had just spent 3 days. So I’m still coming down off the adrenaline rush of it all.

BTW Rick Hendrick, the boss of NASCAR racing, threw down $3million just to buy the first 2020 BASE Corvette Stingray
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #39
jwaked

Got the new baby home. Drives great and looks great. Only 16500 miles. Drove it for 2 hours in the city and an hour on highway. Will do complete maintenance and tires. Car is a beast. Only problem is that is very low. I don’t see the front splitter lasting very long.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #40
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Wow man that’s awesome. Congratulations. Those are definitely awesome cars. I love that colour too.👍
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #41
jwaked

Thanks man. Time to start from zero and do an extensive research about what to do.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:16 PM   #42
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Like modifications you mean?
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote