Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
As most of us already know... The Alpha chassis was WAY ahead of its time and still is one of the best out there. Chevy really did hit a home run with it and it has been around for quite a while now.

The best part is Ford dealers rape you with ADM, while Chevy whores the shit out of their cars off MSRP. Real world delta between them will be about $40K

While I LOVE the DCT and miss it from my M3, it is the only thing I wish I had on my Camaro that the GT500 does have.

Ford continues to play catch up

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #16
1993kramer
New to GM

Drives: 17 ZL1 91 LX 5.0
The Ford has splitters and spoilers comparable to the 1LE so I think the speed difference is telling. I’ve been a hardcore Ford guy my whole life but one drive of the ZL1 hooked me. Chassis really is phenomenal!
1993kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #17
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993kramer View Post
The Ford has splitters and spoilers comparable to the 1LE so I think the speed difference is telling. I’ve been a hardcore Ford guy my whole life but one drive of the ZL1 hooked me. Chassis really is phenomenal!
Good point. The CFTP car has a gt4 wing... lots of drag. Chassis, ediff, and my beloved DSSV shocks must be the difference. GT500 is a much more balanced beast though.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Its funny how they have been testing against other cars like the GT3RS and C8 Corvette and releasing lap times but don't have any lap times for this comparison.
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #19
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hammer View Post
Its funny how they have been testing against other cars like the GT3RS and C8 Corvette and releasing lap times but don't have any lap times for this comparison.
Hoping they are on they way.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #20
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Good point. The CFTP car has a gt4 wing... lots of drag. Chassis, ediff, and my beloved DSSV shocks must be the difference. GT500 is a much more balanced beast though.
Actually the ZLE is better balanced at 50/50. The GT500 is more front heavy.

The Alpha chassis coupled with the amazing kinematics of the ZLE are what really help here. Not to mention being over 200 lbs lighter.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #21
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Actually the ZLE is better balanced at 50/50. The GT500 is more front heavy.

The Alpha chassis coupled with the amazing kinematics of the ZLE are what really help here. Not to mention being over 200 lbs lighter.
What I meant by balanced was the daily drivability combined with impressive braking and cornering even though edged by the ZLE.

ZLE more balanced in the handling sense though.

Both cars very, very impressive in doing what they were designed to do.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #22
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
What I meant by balanced was the daily drivability combined with impressive braking and cornering even though edged by the ZLE.

ZLE more balanced in the handling sense though.

Both cars very, very impressive in doing what they were designed to do.
Why is everyone comparing the 1le vs the CFTP? These will be the least sold and most unpractical. The 1le has the rough ride and the CFTP has no back seats and cost near $100k. The testing should be base vs zl1 as that is what most will buy.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #23
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
Why is everyone comparing the 1le vs the CFTP? These will be the least sold and most unpractical. The 1le has the rough ride and the CFTP has no back seats and cost near $100k. The testing should be base vs zl1 as that is what most will buy.
True that, but it's nice to see the niche cars compared being someone more interested in the extreme versions.

Hopefully we get to see the ZL1 vs non CFTP soon.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #24
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
True that, but it's nice to see the niche cars compared being someone more interested in the extreme versions.

Hopefully we get to see the ZL1 vs non CFTP soon.
After this test, I think the ZL1 will shine even more against the base 500 than the ZLE compared to the CFTP.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #25
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Any idea if this copy of the GT500 had the cage delete option? Also why is that Ford has to build special high priced iterations of the Mustang to compete with a commonly available Camaro performance option anyone can buy at most every Chevy dealership and without BS dealer mark up?

Recall the 90's GT was a dud so Ford brings out the almighty Cobra to compete with the run of the mill Camaro Z/28, never mind the 1 LE, don't even bother you lose that match up all day. Cobra plan fails so they cook up the Cobra R, followed by the 95 Cobra R and then the 2000 Cobra R. All of which more or less failed to get the job done on the street or track in the as-delivered form... read stock or class conforming for the sanctioned race bodies.

I could continue but I think the point has been made. For the record, I have owned and raced Mustangs and still own an ex-FHP 1993 Notch. What I could never understand and still to this day can't figure out is why loyal Mustang owners are willing to pay a premium for a special/limited edition that in most instances is an inferior handling and balanced car with up until a few years ago came with weak brakes as well. Boggles my mind, and sure I get the limited edition thing, but when is 5000 copies a limited edition? On the flip side of this Chevy continues to crank out great cars for a fair price which if optioned correctly runs all day at the track.

Toss in the standard and free track warranty and it is hard to fathom not buying a Camaro or Corvette, especially if your intention is to track the car. Finally, when you consider the competition can't match the value and performance offered by Chevy with what amounts to regular production vehicles at the same price range it sure is a good time to be in a Chevy!

And heads up for any trolls, don't even bother with all your BS reasons that Camaro and Corvette are inferior to brand X. When you can buy a new stock off the lot car for similar money and go as fast, come back and we will talk. Don't worry I'm not holding my breath so take all the time you want...err... need.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #26
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
As a diehard Mustang owner in the past, this surprises me not at all. I feel such a massive driving difference even in my 2SS that I expected this outcome. Ford=bloat
Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #27
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFDUB View Post
Some track times would have been nice as well, but interesting read none the less. The takeaway was Camaro wins by virtue of being a better value. Interesting
They might be forthcoming, the pictures looked to be at willow springs. Maybe they're milking the tests for multiple articles.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #28
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Best part, the zle can be had with a manmission if one so desires and still run an 11.7 quarter mile.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote