Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Wideband sensor questions

What's the best wideband sensor? I want to permanently mount. Am I skimping by doing a no weld version? Am I am skimping by only use one side? Can I get AEM without the gauge? I'll be connecting to HP Tuner.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
It's hard to beat an AEM 30-0333 especially for the price. When using HP tuners, the OBD-II passthrough works awesome and you don't even need the pro version.

I would certainly do a weld-in bung (before the cats). I put bungs in both sides, but I usually only use one side or the other when tuning.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
It's hard to beat an AEM 30-0333 especially for the price. When using HP tuners, the OBD-II passthrough works awesome and you don't even need the pro version.

I would certainly do a weld-in bung (before the cats). I put bungs in both sides, but I usually only use one side or the other when tuning.
What did you the gauge? Did you mount it?
Old 12-18-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
What did you the gauge? Did you mount it?
I didn't mount it. I just let it lay in the passenger seat and logged the readings with HP Tuners. I thought about a permanent setup, but always figured I didn't really need it.

On the dyno I watch the laptop and on the road at WOT I have to focus on driving (600+ RWHP).

I've seen folks mount these gauges to the windshield using gps/phone suction cup mounts. That may be an option to try before going all in on a permanent setup.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
Burly

Thanks, I want to log to HP Tuner only, so I don't need or want the gauge.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Burly,

I have the inline version (no gauge) with the OBDII firmware but AEM has chosen not to bring this variant to market. I had it reflashed while the OBDII firmware was being developed. I don't believe the developer is still doing flashes on the side now that AEM has released the 30-0333.

The AEM 30-0333 is really the best option especially if you are going to use HP Tuners. No ground offsets to worry about and you get a 100 Hz scan rate vs 10 Hz.

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
Thanks, I want to log to HP Tuner only, so I don't need or want the gauge.
Sorry. I misunderstood.

It looks like AEM does offer a controller without the gauge, but I'm not sure about one with OBD-II connectivity. You might be able to use the RS-232 output, but most laptops don't have those ports anymore. I've heard of people using serial to USB adapters, but I haven't done it myself.

I know with the analog outputs it's a constant fight adjusting offsets to keep the readings in sync with the gauge. The HP Tuner "floating ground" fix didn't avoid this problem for me. Without a gauge to sync with, I wouldn't consider relying on a reading from an analog output.

Maybe call AEM?
http://www.aemelectronics.com/contact-us
Old 12-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Burly

Thanks. For street run logging, do you just run the cable to the sensor out door/window? Sorry for the newb questions...
Old 12-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #9
Burly

I am totally stock except Rotofab. I want to get a baseline and analyze/monitor my stock setup for now.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
EFI Tuning

I just install mine when needed and run the wire through the window. Put some tape on the paint under the wire then tape the wire down to that layer of tape. It will keep the wire from moving while driving and potentially putting fine scratches in the clearcoat. Just a lesson learned

Tim
Old 12-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
EFI Tuning

The no weld should be fine but make sure you can get a good seal. Any leak will corrupt the readings.

One side is fine. There is very little variance between banks.

Tim
Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
I just install mine when needed and run the wire through the window. Put some tape on the paint under the wire then tape the wire down to that layer of tape. It will keep the wire from moving while driving and potentially putting fine scratches in the clearcoat. Just a lesson learned

Tim
Thanks! I'm taking this one step at a time. I'll order the AEM and get the bungs installed.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #13
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post

Tim
That's exactly what I do too. I use wide painter's tape against the paint (so there's no residue) and then something more durable, like gorilla tape, over the wires.