#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-17-2020, 10:02 PM   #57
AJD

Drives: '19 Camaro 1LE 2.0 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
Personally if i had a turbo id be running 265/275. I tested them on my v8 and I loved the turn in feel on the 265. but with the added weight of the v8 they just didnt have the grip. less weight over the nose more tire isnt always best. but thats just me.
Thanks for the input! Any advice on alignments or an upgrade to the front or rear bar?
AJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #58
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD View Post
Thanks for the input! Any advice on alignments or an upgrade to the front or rear bar?
Ive never raced a turbo so I cant say what a sway bar would do. I did test a v6 1le a few years ago and helped get it moved to FS. Had my wheels and tires on it at the time and stock bars. It maybe could have used a front one to help the initial turn in bite and roll.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #59
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
With how much lighter the turbo is i dont think its worth going to a 285.

Personally if i had a turbo id be running 265/275. I tested them on my v8 and I loved the turn in feel on the 265. but with the added weight of the v8 they just didnt have the grip. less weight over the nose more tire isnt always best. but thats just me.

On the type r i ran a 275 square. some people were up to 285s. for me the 275 was the perfect blend of response and grip.
On the Turbo 1LE, 265/275 is probably fine with the lower weight of the car, like Mike is saying. On the SS, you really need to run 275 square for the exact reasons he said (what me and my co-driver found out too late in our 2018 season). With that said, option 2 would be 275 square.

275's tend to be a little cheaper due to the higher volume of that size being sold/used. Also, it allows rotation of the tires. For someone new and only going to local stuff, this might be a good option.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #60
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
On the Turbo 1LE, 265/275 is probably fine with the lower weight of the car, like Mike is saying. On the SS, you really need to run 275 square for the exact reasons he said (what me and my co-driver found out too late in our 2018 season). With that said, option 2 would be 275 square.

275's tend to be a little cheaper due to the higher volume of that size being sold/used. Also, it allows rotation of the tires. For someone new and only going to local stuff, this might be a good option.

rotating helps for sure. I didn't think it would be as big of an issue on the 4T with the lighter weight and less wheel spinning torque hah.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 01-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #61
clyde

Drives: broken
I ran a non-1LE turbo nationally for two years and did...okayish in decent weather. Sometimes. Couldn't hold a candle to Mike in his Type R at Nats, but was about a second back from him each day at Spring Nats in 2019.

Anyway... The non-1lE turbo is incredibly well balanced and neutral with a decent, but still very streetable alignment. It's sensitive enough to tire pressure differences F/R that you can go from completely neutral to really loose with a minor pressure change at one end or really tight with a change in the other direction. It's really amazing and so much fun.

The last thing I ever thought I wanted was more rear wheel or tire width if the fronts were staying the same. The springs, shocks and bars are different for the turbo 1LE, so maybe the balance winds up the same?

I only ever ran 275s (both 18s and 19s) and got 150+ runs per set.

For alignment, in front, I was at -2.1ish camber i (over time, I was able to get a few more tenths than when new), 0 toe, and caster was whatever it was (6.9?) being non-adjustable. I played a bit more in the rear with camber and toe, but think wound up happiest at about -1.4 camber and just enough toe in to not be 0.

I was pretty disappointed to not see more Camaros out there the past two years, because they're such great autox cars. Solid, super cheap (for new), very fun, incredibly easy on tires. But, people didn't want to buy and run them. Sigh.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #62
WAM

Drives: Pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I was pretty disappointed to not see more Camaros out there the past two years, because they're such great autox cars. Solid, super cheap (for new), very fun, incredibly easy on tires. But, people didn't want to buy and run them. Sigh.
SCCA has not been kind to pony cars in classing. Currently no Camaro or Mustang is the go-to car for any of the street classes. My region looks just like nationals. Tesla/BMW/Type R's. Maybe that will change some day.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #63
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
SCCA has not been kind to pony cars in classing. Currently no Camaro or Mustang is the go-to car for any of the street classes. My region looks just like nationals. Tesla/BMW/Type R's. Maybe that will change some day.
The Tesla just got buried something fierce, so I think the SS1LE is a contender in BS. I also think the Gen6 SS still has a shot in FS, and is a monster in ESP. I do agree that DS is spec-TypeR for the moment, but it's street class... so the only constant is change.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #64
WAM

Yeah, Apexit had hinted there was change coming with Tesla. But they're still running BS around here, so maybe the change is set for next year? Haven't seen anything official.

Only one event, but last nat's the FS BMWs were running BS times. Seems a bit stout for an SS.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #65
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Yeah, Apexit had hinted there was change coming with Tesla. But they're still running BS around here, so maybe the change is set for next year? Haven't seen anything official.

Only one event, but last nat's the FS BMWs were running BS times. Seems a bit stout for an SS.
It was in the last Fastrack to immediately move it under the clause in 3.2. Not sure why the 2020 rules draft doesn't reflect it but it will.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #66
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I ran a non-1LE turbo nationally for two years and did...okayish in decent weather. Sometimes. Couldn't hold a candle to Mike in his Type R at Nats, but was about a second back from him each day at Spring Nats in 2019.

Anyway... The non-1lE turbo is incredibly well balanced and neutral with a decent, but still very streetable alignment. It's sensitive enough to tire pressure differences F/R that you can go from completely neutral to really loose with a minor pressure change at one end or really tight with a change in the other direction. It's really amazing and so much fun.

The last thing I ever thought I wanted was more rear wheel or tire width if the fronts were staying the same. The springs, shocks and bars are different for the turbo 1LE, so maybe the balance winds up the same?

I only ever ran 275s (both 18s and 19s) and got 150+ runs per set.

For alignment, in front, I was at -2.1ish camber i (over time, I was able to get a few more tenths than when new), 0 toe, and caster was whatever it was (6.9?) being non-adjustable. I played a bit more in the rear with camber and toe, but think wound up happiest at about -1.4 camber and just enough toe in to not be 0.

I would love to text a turbo one day. in fact after this yer I thought about doing that instead of the ss 1LE but I couldn't pass up the chance to get the car ive basically wanted since the SS 1LE was announce and can now afford.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 03-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #67
WAM

If I wanted to do a 4T for an inexpensive regional CAM-C, would I want to start with a 1LE or base? Aftermarket suspension, wheels and tires can be added...but not sure about aftermarket shock availability.

Is something comparable to Koni Sport on the market for these cars? Might want to start with a 1LE just because of shocks. Then would need minor if any suspension upgrades and big wheels and tires. I assume 19/11's and 305 stones. Lotta rubber for a 4T, but that's okay.

The reason for going 4T would be to have a light, handling car with adequate power instead of a nose-heavy fire breather that has to be thundered around the course. Can't be too bad a concept since the GM Performance guys went that way.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #68
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
If I wanted to do a 4T for an inexpensive regional CAM-C, would I want to start with a 1LE or base? Aftermarket suspension, wheels and tires can be added...but not sure about aftermarket shock availability.

Is something comparable to Koni Sport on the market for these cars? Might want to start with a 1LE just because of shocks. Then would need minor if any suspension upgrades and big wheels and tires. I assume 19/11's and 305 stones. Lotta rubber for a 4T, but that's okay.

The reason for going 4T would be to have a light, handling car with adequate power instead of a nose-heavy fire breather that has to be thundered around the course. Can't be too bad a concept since the GM Performance guys went that way.
I recently bought a used base model for 18k, I originally wanted the 1LE, but used they are pretty hard to find, and the extra cost for new wasn't worth it to me. I'd rather keep the money and use it on autox/track/mods. I went directly to CAMC and put 305 BFG Rivals on all 4 corners on 19x10.5" wheels. There's maybe 5mm on the inside to the strut and they poke out a little, but no rubbing. Camber plates should help on the poke, but they're $550 for some good ones, just another expense to think about. For now, I'm on stock suspension, and will probably stay that way for at least this year. The throttle delay is a bigger issue that I'd like to tackle first anyway. I've only been to a test n tune with the car, but can already tell it's going to be a monster around the cones. The grip seems to be endless.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #69
WAM

I'm no ace on CAM rules, but they're pretty wide open. Since all a camber plate does is shift the strut bolts at the top, why not just redrill or slot the shock tower holes? Not legal for a lot of classes, but maybe for CAM?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #70
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
I'm no ace on CAM rules, but they're pretty wide open. Since all a camber plate does is shift the strut bolts at the top, why not just redrill or slot the shock tower holes? Not legal for a lot of classes, but maybe for CAM?
I'm sure it's legal, I'd just rather have something less janky. Also, I believe I can easily switch between street and track camber settings pretty easily with camber plates
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote