Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
z0666

Drives: chevrolet
GTR to Zr1 1le

Who has came over from the GTR camp over to one?
Starting to get more into road course and have the basic stuff done but the next step with coils and brakes is big money and the zl1 1le just has so much potential out of the box.
My main concerns really are how it handles more power at the track (would want around 700whp) but also how it does on day to day driving. I drive my cars a ton and just want something ill enjoy on the street as well as track.
z0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Stealth111

Drives: 2016 45Th GTR, Escalade, H2, Kodiak
Well, I can tell you this, I still have my 2016 45th Anniversary GTR, and I don't think I could ever get rid of it. I drove a 1LE for about 3 months and I can say that they are 2 totally different animals, both on the street and the track. The GTR is effortless on the track, it's poise and ability to seemingly be glued to to track make for a very different comfort level moving around the course. I will say, the 1LE is no slouch either, but it has the ability to get away from you in ways that the GTR just wont let happen.
I did end up also buying a 2018 ZL1 last weekend. I can tell you this, my GTR hasn't seen a single mile since then! The ZL1 is just such a fun beast to run the streets with. I have been buying mods just about as fast as I can get through the checkouts! It is sooo addicting!
My GTR is also super fun to drive, though most confrontations on the street end up with them giving me a nod and saying no thanks, or sweet ride, but usually no takers for a little street fun. The ZL1, heh, as soon as I look in someones direction, they are revving at me! ROFL!
Day to day...... I am a bigger guy, so I can say hats off to Nissan, because they managed to make the GTR still a very comfortable car to be in for long periods of time. The seats are a bit on the small side, I feel like I sit on them and not in them, but alas, not too bad overall. I can get in and out of the GTR with ease. The ZL1, not so much so, I literally have to twist, bend, and pry myself into the opening, but then the seat welcomes my tush much better than the GTR. The side bolsters on the Recaros are a bit tight up top for my broad shoulders, but I manage. I think my upper back gets numb after a bit and I forget about it. visibility is meh, but fine nonetheless. When I am done driving, I then have to go through a "jaws of life" process to extract myself out of the car! I frequently look back and curse the car for that one single flaw!
Having both, I could never get rid of either... If I had to make a choice, I don't think I could now...

Last edited by Stealth111; 09-25-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Stealth111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
z0666

Drives: chevrolet
Awesome observations and i agree with that on the GTR for track...you can really push yourself and not worry about the car getting out of hand. However, a part of me knows im cutting the enjoyment factor down due to that. Its hard to feel like a real driver in the car when you know the car is sorting the tricky things out for you. Its a very point and shoot car, get your lines right and deal with the understeer best you can. I want something more involving and exciting.

Another thing is i couldnt agree more with the great space yet the seats being made for someone who is 160 pounds lol. At 240 they dont fit me great either but ive still done a ton of 3-4 hour trips in the car with no issue. Thats one thing im really curious with the Zle, will it be bearable driving 3 hours to the track?
That really is the beauty of the GTR its just does everything from track to street so well.

In a perfect world id keep the GTR and add something to the stable but unfortunately thats not in my pay grade right now lol.
z0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Stealth111

When I picked up my ZL1, I drove home 3 hours and it was VERY comfortable. Much more so than the GTR on long trips, for sure!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth111 View Post
When I picked up my ZL1, I drove home 3 hours and it was VERY comfortable. Much more so than the GTR on long trips, for sure!
you ever take your GTR to the jack Maxton car shows?
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth111 View Post
Did you get a ZL1 1LE or ZL1?
Old 09-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
Stealth111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
you ever take your GTR to the jack Maxton car shows?
No, not yet, but I look forward to coming down there soon!
Old 09-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
Stealth111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Did you get a ZL1 1LE or ZL1?
ZL1, I decided against the 1LE. In the end, my plans are to slowly build it over time with my son, and troll the streets with it!