Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #141
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
What else is amazing is this probably isn't the fastest 6th gen camaro around that track.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #142
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
Al Oppenheiser has already stated that the 5th Gen Z/28 has run in the 7:20's.
Besides, the Z/28 looks better to boot.
+1 and on top of that the Z?28 when new was a 8 year old car, not bad for an old car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #143
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Would love to see the different coolant temps after that lap.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #144
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'm thinking that's Aaron Link again this time. Trying to confirm.
Drew Cattell

"Many fast laps around the Nordschleife are dramatic, with lots of oversteer and steering input,” said Drew Cattell, Camaro ride and handling engineer and driver of the hot lap"

He goes on speaking about what we are all seeing

“Not so with the ZL1, which is extremely planted and stable, almost calm. With Magnetic Ride and great overall chassis balance, the ZL1 is all about being inch perfect at every turn and carrying a lot of speed.”
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #145
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
The Corvette ZR1 was a 200+ mph car and it only did 179 on the back stretch on a 7:26 lap by Jim Mero

Quote:
And the 7:19 ZR1 lap hit 183 only for a split second

There are two different ZR1 runs on the Ring. One was original configuration, the other was a year or two later with the Carbon package (super sticky tires, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Cornering speeds is where time is lost or made up especially on lighter weight lower hp handling cars, that's why the last gen Z/28 was faster than the last gen ZL1. It also was able to brake much later and deeper due the CC brakes, tires and the suspension work along with the improved aero downforce setup.

The Z/28 had a lower top speed but it was able to carry more speed confidently thru the corners than the 80 hp more powerful and heavier ZL1 from the past. Momentum cars.
It would appear that the new ZL1 combines the best of both worlds. I would LOVE to see what this car could do with Carbon Fiber wheels wrapped in Trofeos, the spy-shot aero kit, and CC brakes.........7:19? 7:15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Dang, I could have swore he was manually downshifting. That A10 is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
I heard the transmission get lost one time ~6:10. That transmission is VERY impressive!
I'm noting all the impressions of this transmission in action. Manual or Automatic preferences aside - this thing is...Bad. Ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAD LS2 View Post
Its pretty awesome how the computer is set to automatically downshift to keep the car in the 5k rpm range when braking so when you get back into the gas it isn't hunting for power. I'm a manual guy, but wow, that is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Question: Is Z/28 (Z28) generally placed below ZL1 or above, price wise?
Another words, should the next Z28cost less or more than 2017 ZL1?

Sorry, I'm not an expert on Camaro line.
If they set it up like before: race-ready components in a purpose-built car...then probably more expensive.

Quote:
Would love to see the different coolant temps after that lap.
Can you make it out below? Should be the left-most visible "small" gauge on the screen.
I imagine coolant temps would be alright. Even at WOT...that back straight was 150+ mph of air blasting through the radiator for over a minute. And this thing has a biiiiig mouth.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.36.35 AM.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  53.8 KB
Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #146
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Drew Cattell

"Many fast laps around the Nordschleife are dramatic, with lots of oversteer and steering input,” said Drew Cattell, Camaro ride and handling engineer and driver of the hot lap"

He goes on speaking about what we are all seeing

“Not so with the ZL1, which is extremely planted and stable, almost calm. With Magnetic Ride and great overall chassis balance, the ZL1 is all about being inch perfect at every turn and carrying a lot of speed.”
Great Thanks!

I got to have lunch with Aaron back in August and I queried him hard over cooling citing some of the issues with the LT4 in the ZO6 and he emphatically assured me that it wasn't a problem with the ZL1.

One of the coolers lays horizontal under the radiator and air is deflected upward through it which also helps with down force. The depth of the grill holes were even shortened from the original grill to increase airflow. Lots of wind tunnel time spent on this one.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #147
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
surprised that GM hasn't released the the G6 1LE (V8 & V6)times on the ring(if they even tested them there..)
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #148
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
surprised that GM hasn't released the the G6 1LE (V8 & V6)times on the ring(if they even tested them there..)
The v8 1LE was definitely at the ring in test development with camo... but i don't ever remember pics or videos of the 1le undisguised without camo at the ringhttp://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452657
Old 10-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #149
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Great Thanks!

I got to have lunch with Aaron back in August and I queried him hard over cooling citing some of the issues with the LT4 in the ZO6 and he emphatically assured me that it wasn't a problem with the ZL1.

One of the coolers lays horizontal under the radiator and air is deflected upward through it which also helps with down force. The depth of the grill holes were even shortened from the original grill to increase airflow. Lots of wind tunnel time spent on this one.
This is good to know. Probably one of my biggest concerns when I left a deposit on mine was the well known heating issues the LT4 had when tracked. I figured improvements had to be made to avoid another black eye for GM. And as a future owner, I really did not want any restrictions during track days.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #150
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
Al Oppenheiser has already stated that the 5th Gen Z/28 has run in the 7:20's.
Besides, the Z/28 looks better to boot.
No video = never happened

If there is video floating around somewhere GM will never let it see the light of day now that Gen 6 is all they care about.

Looks are subjective.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #151
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
This is good to know. Probably one of my biggest concerns when I left a deposit on mine was the well known heating issues the LT4 had when tracked. I figured improvements had to be made to avoid another black eye for GM. And as a future owner, I really did not want any restrictions during track days.
Yup, I'm right there with you. Aaron is also a manual kind of guy but said he would go auto on this one.

The CFI has a removable piece under the hood for track days to get more air flowing there too. It fills the air gap to deflect water to the side of the engine for normal driving. 3 bolts and it's out for the track.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #152
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
I'm still concerned actually. Although I've never lapped the ring I can see it's got lots of cooling opportunities. I'm VERY curious to see how the cooling works on short tight American tracks. I keep switching back and forth in my head if I should replace my Gen 5 1LE with a Gen 6 ZL1 or 1LE. The cooloing is the big if. So I'll be watching closely next year as these beasts get in the hands of track rats.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #153
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
So I did some lurking over at M6G...

A lot of guys are praising it..that's cool. A few tools are being asses, but that's to be expected.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #154
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
So I did some lurking over at M6G...

A lot of guys are praising it..that's cool. A few tools are being asses, but that's to be expected.
Agreed. Now they are saying the times are falsified and that they are waiting on GM to put out a Press Release on why the times are faked. I swear, those morons on that forum crack me up. It's comedy central 24hrs a day over there.