Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
John J

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 Turbo
@dekes1,

Thanks for the explanation.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
John J

I wonder if more owners of a 2018 Camaro 2.0 turbo recognize this problem..... Because the more problems the bigger the chance that GM will do something about it.

Does anyone know if there are persons of GM active on this website / in several threads?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 AM   #17
soldes

Drives: car
Hey John, yeah from East Flanders.
I've always let my American cars idle down before engaging the first D or R shift as a habbit. (Ram's, Corvette, Pontiac). I think it's a little bit easier on the transmission and driveline. True I never did it with EU brand cars I had as they didn't seem to suffer that much from a initial clunck.

Anyway I hope you get it resolved.
nick
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #18
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
I have been experimenting and if i let the car idle down, the problem does not occur, but isn't it strange that you have to do a trick to drive away without problems? Other cars do not have this problem as far as i know.... And as the weather gets colder, waiting time will increase, i asume, before the engine idles down.

You have answered your own question here sir. You NEED to let the car idle down before driving off. Once the car idles down, that is your car telling you its ready to be driven. My 18 idles pretty high sometimes on initial startup, no way I would pull it into gear. It would most definitely "clunk" if I did not wait till the RPM's dropped before pulling into gear.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #19
John J

Hello Cooper1965,
OK, the "clunk" i can understand but my "original" problem was "stuttering / power loss and an "exploding sound" in the exhaust. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535285
Now i think i discovered that you should let idle down the engine to prevent this problem. The only strange thing is that it looks like it does not appear at 2017 models but only at 2018 models. But then again the computer of the motor management is different in the 2017 and 2018 model so i would expect that GM would solve this problem by updating the computer or something because they made a less reliable product.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Hello Cooper1965,
OK, the "clunk" i can understand but my "original" problem was "stuttering / power loss and an "exploding sound" in the exhaust. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535285
Now i think i discovered that you should let idle down the engine to prevent this problem. The only strange thing is that it looks like it does not appear at 2017 models but only at 2018 models. But then again the computer of the motor management is different in the 2017 and 2018 model so i would expect that GM would solve this problem by updating the computer or something because they made a less reliable product.

So, you have a 2018 Euro spec Camaro (clear side markers?) If YES, then the 18's do have a different PCM, they also have a different operating system, your Euro spec car also has another difference. Im pretty certain they de-tune those also.

Honestly your in a tough spot. Sounds like you really only have one certified GM dealer over there, and they arn't helping you much.
I have not heard of, or seen your issue before. Its not a trending issue on these cars.

I would suggest taking things into your own hands if your willing to give up warranty. I would find and copy over the files from a stock USA spec tune folder. Might just take care of the problem. OFC, you will still need to let the car idle down, can't stop that

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
You have answered your own question here sir. You NEED to let the car idle down before driving off. Once the car idles down, that is your car telling you its ready to be driven. My 18 idles pretty high sometimes on initial startup, no way I would pull it into gear. It would most definitely "clunk" if I did not wait till the RPM's dropped before pulling into gear.

Please stop we should not have to wait to drive our 30 thousand dollar cars till after their idle drops. That is not normal. There is another thread here on this issue because I have it also. Actually I feel a little dumb because I traded my 17 Mustang which I paid 21K for and now with a more expensive car I am having issues.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #22
John J

Hello Ray-J,
Which thread do you mean? Maybe i can find some information which is interesting......
(Or maybe it is my thread ;-) because i asked the same question in another thread).
I feel the same: i could choose a Mustang (cheaper) or a Camaro (more exclusive) and i choose the Camaro because you do not see them as much as a Mustang, but sometimes i regret my choice.....

Last edited by John J; 10-02-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #23
2016Camaro4

Drives: 2016
I join here new as my 2016 low miles camaro also has the unbearable rpm rise on startup. Sometimes i must wait many seconds (5-10+) beform rpm drops. Ridiculous on such expensive car. I want to drive car now, not after some seconds. Mustang does not have same problem?
2016Camaro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #24
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-J View Post
Please stop we should not have to wait to drive our 30 thousand dollar cars till after their idle drops. That is not normal. There is another thread here on this issue because I have it also. Actually I feel a little dumb because I traded my 17 Mustang which I paid 21K for and now with a more expensive car I am having issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016Camaro4 View Post
I join here new as my 2016 low miles camaro also has the unbearable rpm rise on startup. Sometimes i must wait many seconds (5-10+) beform rpm drops. Ridiculous on such expensive car. I want to drive car now, not after some seconds. Mustang does not have same problem?
Uhh, I'm sorry but what?

Every vehicle does this. The engine is idling high to get the engine up operating temperature. This is normal. My 2007 Imapla SS did this, my 2011 Camaro 2LT did this, my wife's 2011 Buick Enclave does this, and my 2016 Camaro SS does this. I showed my friend that owns a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid that his engine does this as well because he asks me why my engine sounds that way at startup. It's barely noticeable on smaller engine vehicles, but they all do it. The larger (and louder) the engine, the more noticeable it's going to be that the engine is idling high to get it to temperature.

I'm not sure if you guys are trolling or serious.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #25
John J

The original problem was stuttering / shuddering and no power and an "exploding" sound in the exhaust when driving away slowly with a cold engine. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535285

If i let idle down the engine and rpm's drop till 1000 rpm or less, the problem does not occur, so i think it has something to do with the automatic choke.

In the mean time i discovered that the computer of the motormanagement is different in the 2017 and 2018 model and i think this is an issue of the 2018 model.

And yesterday i heard that the software of the motormanagement of the US and EU models is different because of emission regulations which are different in the US and EU. So that maybe explains that there are no complaints in the US (and on this forum). And because there are relatively few Camaro's sold in Europe in comparisson with the US, this problem is maybe not interesting enough for GM to solve :-(

Unfortunately it does not seem possible to exchange the software between EU and US models otherwise I could have tried the US software.

And in the meantime I also found out what others mean with the "aumatic A8 stutter" because this problem also occurs with my Camaro, but fortunately they can solve this problem they say.

Last edited by John J; 10-03-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #26
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
appreciate the updates

Quote:

In the mean time i discovered that the computer of the motormanagement is different in the 2017 and 2018 model and i think this is an issue of the 2018 model.

And yesterday i heard that the software of the motormanagement of the US and EU models is different because of emission regulations which are different in the US and EU. So that maybe explains that there are no complaints in the US (and on this forum). And because there are relatively few Camaro's sold in Europe in comparisson with the US, this problem is maybe not interesting enough for GM to solve :-(

Unfortunately it does not seem possible to exchange the software between EU and US models otherwise I could have tried the US software.
I appreciate the fact you keep giving "updates" regarding what you are learning. Information that can be gleaned from your experience is helpful.
Kevin_S17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 AM   #27
John J

Does someone know if there are "employees of GM" active on this forum?
Because I would like to try to contact them directly ;-)