Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2020, 12:30 AM   #1
Tim M
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 568
Valve Spring Change Tips?

I'm preparing to install slightly upgraded valve springs on my 2018 LT1 equipped with 11 psi of LT4 supercharger.

Has anyone done this in the car? Any tips/gotchas?

Is compressed air/rope trick really necessary? My Gen I and II motors did not require as long as the piston was at TDC - the valves would not drop excessively.

I do have the Blue Grass Gen V Valve Spring Compressor.

Thanks!
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Tim M
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 568
Shot of the OEM to BTR specials - they look cooler!

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
Nabush
 
Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I'm preparing to install slightly upgraded valve springs on my 2018 LT1 equipped with 11 psi of LT4 supercharger.

Has anyone done this in the car? Any tips/gotchas?

Is compressed air/rope trick really necessary? My Gen I and II motors did not require as long as the piston was at TDC - the valves would not drop excessively.

I do have the Blue Grass Gen V Valve Spring Compressor.

Thanks!
You can forget doing it without removing the heads. The retainer lockers were completely stuck on my C7 LT1. Need to maintain valves pushed against the seats with a big C clamp and use the TSP tool to compress the springs. Otherwise you may bend the valves.
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:30 AM   #4
Tim M
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabush View Post
You can forget doing it without removing the heads. The retainer lockers were completely stuck on my C7 LT1. Need to maintain valves pushed against the seats with a big C clamp and use the TSP tool to compress the springs. Otherwise you may bend the valves.
Do you believe your locks/retainers were damaged and that is why you couldn't remove the springs?

Upon examination of the BTR supplied locks - they don't appear to be any different than normal SBC stuff. I know wear/damage can occur that imprints the lock into the valve (likely valve float issues), but I'm hoping I haven't experienced any of that.

Appreciate the input.
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Nabush
 
Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Do you believe your locks/retainers were damaged and that is why you couldn't remove the springs?

Upon examination of the BTR supplied locks - they don't appear to be any different than normal SBC stuff. I know wear/damage can occur that imprints the lock into the valve (likely valve float issues), but I'm hoping I haven't experienced any of that.

Appreciate the input.
They were not damaged. I reused them.
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
Tim M
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 568
Interesting. Hope to give it a shot tomorrow and will report back. Thanks.
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
Tim M
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 568
Affirm - only did #1 cylinder thus far.

BTR's installed:



No air / rope tricks needed. Piston at TDC only let the valve drop a quarter of inch or so (more on the exhaust side).
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
Tim M
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 568
Well, down to the last cylinder for the spring change and ended up with this image...what is missing?



Oops...

Fortunately, I had eyes on when it flipped off the retainer...fell externally to the engine into the bowels of the engine compartment. So waiting for a replacement...bought 2 weeks of downtime. It was newbie mistake...not employing any catch rags.
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
beedo
 
Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 107
I have done alot of cams and springs and I always put vaseline on them, easier to install and helps keep them from flying off and if the do they stick lol
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:25 PM   #10
Wierd Harold
 
Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Ontario canada
Posts: 320
Small magnet works great
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
Tim M
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 568
Great suggestions - thanks!
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros
 
Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Austin
Posts: 125
Tim M,
Watched that "13th" Nürburgring visit video. Holy hell, i was scared just watching the video..., lol. Next business trip there, i must make time to visit that area.
Thanks for sharing. ;-)
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
Tim M
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
Holy hell, i was scared just watching the video...
You and me both! Video doesn't do the track justice...drop me a line and I'll give you a ride!
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
JROC
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 334
Just a quick question, but does boost really hurt or cause faster wear or premature failure to a valve spring? I would of thought boost would be irrelevant towards spring life on a motor with a stock cam, run stock RPM's?
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.