Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
Reddy1LE
 
Reddy1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 156
Mid spoiler blade/ trunk edge issue

Hi everyone, happy new year and happy holidays. So I just noticed on my car that there is a huge chunk of paint missing/ ripped off. I didn’t take a pic earlier, I’ll do so tomorrow morning, but I posted up a photo for reference. Does anyone have any issue in that area?

I guess I had it all along, even in this photo you can see paint missing on the trunk at the edge of the middle spoiler.
Attached Images
 
__________________
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
Scargoes
 
Scargoes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dessert
Posts: 377
Mine had that also. The dealer repaired it. The had to remove the trunk and the spoilerto repaint it.
__________________
2018 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS 1LE with Nav, PDR, and track alignment

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
KPzypher
 
Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: NC
Posts: 33
Looks like I'm not missing any paint (summit white), but I have a huge gap on either end. I believe I read somewhere that the end pieces are dealer installed, and if that's true my dealer dealer did a sh***y job. I'm gonna have to redo them at some point.
KPzypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #4
vtirocz


 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPzypher View Post
Looks like I'm not missing any paint (summit white), but I have a huge gap on either end. I believe I read somewhere that the end pieces are dealer installed, and if that's true my dealer dealer did a sh***y job. I'm gonna have to redo them at some point.
That's a separate issue, but GM really should change the process to have the end pieces installed at the plant for more consistent fitment / gaps. There have been several posts on misaligned end pieces.
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:46 AM   #5
beedo
 
Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 107
Mine has the missing paint issues as well, I bought touch up paint and clear so it doesn't corrode
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
madscotsman
 
Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
That's a separate issue, but GM really should change the process to have the end pieces installed at the plant for more consistent fitment / gaps. There have been several posts on misaligned end pieces.

^THIS, plus the dealerships put adhesion promoter all over the fender tops, potentially ruining the paint when they mount the winglets. Mine (Red) looked faded and stained under the winglets when I first removed them, until I waxed it with a scratch remover and it sat out in the summer sun a couple days . Not sure if that's how they are directed to do the install from Chevy, but it is definitely not the correct use of adhesion promoter. The 3M adhesion promoter is NOT supposed to be applied to painted surfaces and is only needed to get the double sided tape to adhere to plastic/fiberglass. 3M tape will adhere to the painted surface of a car without issue if the surface is cleaned with alcohol first. Most failures of the tape are when it separates form plastic surfaces or when the painted surface is not cleaned of any wax's or other residue.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
importunerdj
 
Drives: Turboed
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Mine had that also. The dealer repaired it. The had to remove the trunk and the spoilerto repaint it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedo View Post
Mine has the missing paint issues as well, I bought touch up paint and clear so it doesn't corrode
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
^THIS, plus the dealerships put adhesion promoter all over the fender tops, potentially ruining the paint when they mount the winglets. Mine (Red) looked faded and stained under the winglets when I first removed them, until I waxed it with a scratch remover and it sat out in the summer sun a couple days . Not sure if that's how they are directed to do the install from Chevy, but it is definitely not the correct use of adhesion promoter. The 3M adhesion promoter is NOT supposed to be applied to painted surfaces and is only needed to get the double sided tape to adhere to plastic/fiberglass. 3M tape will adhere to the painted surface of a car without issue if the surface is cleaned with alcohol first. Most failures of the tape are when it separates form plastic surfaces or when the painted surface is not cleaned of any wax's or other residue.
Well that stinks, I have an appt for tomorrow to have it looked at.

Iím pretty sure my issue is whatís described with the last poster, it looks like the 3m has not adhered to the painted surface and is deteriorating.
Attached Images
  
importunerdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Jaxcam02
 
Jaxcam02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Jax/Palatka FL
Posts: 636
I haven't noticed this yet but I need to check now.
__________________
Jaxcam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:30 AM   #9
madscotsman
 
Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by importunerdj View Post
Well that stinks, I have an appt for tomorrow to have it looked at.

Iím pretty sure my issue is whatís described with the last poster, it looks like the 3m has not adhered to the painted surface and is deteriorating.

Looks more like the adhesion promoter ate the paint when they incorrectly applied it to the painted trunk instead of the spoiler side of the 3M adhesive. Mine has a similar area along the front edge of the spoiler on the passenger side. I had a similar conversation (#5 below) with 3M a few years back when I removed some window louvers from a mustang I had.



https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/ar.../t-788799.html
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE
 
GTSLOW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fort Knox, KY
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
That's a separate issue, but GM really should change the process to have the end pieces installed at the plant for more consistent fitment / gaps. There have been several posts on misaligned end pieces.
I'm assuming GM leaves them off to prevent and damage/potential theft during shipping. I wish dealers would take better care when installing them.

Mine were so bad they didnt even line up with the spoiler. They were to far out and canted back.
__________________
2018 1SS 1LE
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:57 AM   #11
Reddy1LE
 
Reddy1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
Looks more like the adhesion promoter ate the paint when they incorrectly applied it to the painted trunk instead of the spoiler side of the 3M adhesive. Mine has a similar area along the front edge of the spoiler on the passenger side. I had a similar conversation (#5 below) with 3M a few years back when I removed some window louvers from a mustang I had.



https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/ar.../t-788799.html
Thank you for this! I mentioned this to the service advisor that this is probably the issue. They couldn't do anything at the time of the appt just assess the damage which is understandable can't imagine them sending it out right now, they said GM wanted pictures and will be in contact with me.

I also showed the advisor my the ends of my spoiler don't exactly sit flush especially the driver side has a much bigger gap compared to the passenger. Hopefully they replace that as well but that seems to be a easier fix if not.
__________________
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: East Bay Area
Posts: 150
Thanks for pointing this out. I just noticed my passenger side has a couple noticeable flakes near the trunk lid spoiler. Time to hit up Dr. Colorchip!
__________________
CrazyCatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.