Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
RemingtonGoose

Drives: 2020 2SS M6
poor throttle response

Hi I see this topic has been covered many times, sorry if this is a partial repeat, but I cannot seem to read my exact questions answer so here it is.

I have a 2020 SS M6, and love the car but hate the throttle response in the lower rpm, mostly off idle. (car is 100% stock now)

It seems like I have (3) options to get what I want:

1- get the car tuned, which I do not want to do.

2- get a throttle controller / enhancer

3- get a larger throttle body (LT5) with special spacer and bolt on. I just met a reputable guy at PRI and he said no tuning is required he did the same thing on his car and it really wakes up the bottom end response of the LT1. He said the stock LT1 system can compensate for the larger amount of air and it fixes the issue we both did not like on our cars.

What I am hoping for here is some validation from anyone who attempted option 2 or 3. I have heard the throttle controllers make the car drive weird and I am looking for a factory feel, but just more zip off idle. I also read here the 95mm throttle body requires tuning to make right and avoid check engine lights. I just don't know the right way to make the car to my preference, and I am hoping someone who has the same opinion as me has tried this and found good results with no repercussions.

Thank you, Rem.
RemingtonGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
haven’t experienced 2 or 3 but i can tell you this:

the factory parameters in the ecu do not do well with increased airflow. i’d also wager a bet that despite the ported tb making the car more responsive, the ecu would return the throttle response back to stock (slow)...probably within a couple thousand miles.

i go to pri, as well. ill be honest, i’ve rarely been impressed with the conversation from vendors, been going several years now. cool show, but you need to know who to talk to about anything technical. like mentioning “e92a” to the guys at the gm tent and they reply with

what’s an e92a

had to go and find the old guy, who certainly knew his stuff.

for what it’s worth: my car was very lazy in the first 8k miles or so. after that it was evident the attitude had changed and it wasn’t near as bad.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
This is your fix.

https://www.solerengineering.com/store/se8223-040
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Yup, this is the place to purchase what you may need. Just call Mike and inform him, he will do his best to help you out.

This is where you can read about it all!
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564559
and here...enjoy!
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556601
Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
totallly agree with the Soler throttle body recommendation. It fixes the off idle issues completely.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
I went the TB and throttle controller route as I'm under warranty, transformed the car (M6), I can now leave intersections not looking like a noob. Started with a Mamo and ended up with the Soler TB, both are good but the Soler is better IMHO. There are a few controllers out there and they do pretty much the same thing for varying amounts of money, I have a Vitesse now and it works fine. Soler has one now for $75, $100 less than the Vitesse so I'd go there.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:36 AM   #7
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Get an automatic. I learned the hard way with my M6. When you place an anachronistic piece of outdated technology in the middle of modern high technology components: "slow" is the outcome.
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Are you driving in track mode? Be sure to drive in Sport, unless you're actually on a track.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
beworthy3

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
does require a tune as well to solve the problem?
beworthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post
Get an automatic. I learned the hard way with my M6. When you place an anachronistic piece of outdated technology in the middle of modern high technology components: "slow" is the outcome.
really?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
"throttle response" is a complicated topic that encompasses several things. Are you referring to the throttle mapping? A lot of people seem to want "instant" throttle response but you'll never get it in a car with an ECU. Getting a different throttle body won't change it. I thought the throttle response in mine was pretty stellar. What precisely is the issue you are having?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #12
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post
I had a 2016 SS A8, I experienced converter lock up on the drag strip. The odd 1st gear to 2nd gear slam, never got the shudder. The worst part of the A8 is the AFM deactivating, constantly driving in Auto manual mode to avoid this until I did a cam and got rid of the AFM. The paddle shifters have a delay in them so I shift with the auto gear selector pushing it up or down.

So far no problems with my M6, didn’t notice any lag or bogging. I have had the car for almost a month and haven’t even experienced the skip shift yet, mind you I have a heavy foot. Love the Rev match. No complaints, after doing both auto and manual I favour the manual for the driving experience.

The Gen 6 is a great car in either set up and that’s why I just bought my second Gen 6 SS.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #13
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
"throttle response" is a complicated topic that encompasses several things. Are you referring to the throttle mapping? A lot of people seem to want "instant" throttle response but you'll never get it in a car with an ECU. Getting a different throttle body won't change it. I thought the throttle response in mine was pretty stellar. What precisely is the issue you are having?
The Gen 6 is much better than the Gen 5, when it comes to the throttle mapping. However, the 2011 didn't have a mode selector for "sport" mode. The Gen 5 had a pretty bad lag to about 25% throttle, then it would hit like and on/off switch.

I put a throttle controller on it, and that certainly made it more linear. Had it for a couple of years, no real issues except it would occasionally send it to limp mode. A recalibration was all it took to correct it. I took it out when it went to body shop and never put it back in. Guess I decided the benefit didn't outweigh going into limp mode every so often.

I don't know if the Soler Performance is any better than the one I had, but being essentially the same theory and tech, and $100 cheaper, IDK, think I'll pass on the controller all together. The lag on the 2018 M6 isn't such that I feel I really 'need' to address it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #14
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Soler is what i went for as well. great place and great product